Tamiya 1/35 Semi Static Display Panzer IV f.D to RC + Video

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Tamiya 1/35 Semi Static Display Panzer IV f.D to RC + Video

Post by modler »

Panzer VI video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8dXSie64aU
Another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP3ctegho_Y

Panzer VI of this thread is under construction so final assembly will come later. I perfect the drive line, radio gear first before completing any of my models.

The Tank in this thread and Videos uses a Computer Transmitter to fine tune the movement to scale like speed with precise track control. This is possible mainly due to the Tamiya, Academy gearboxes which have a high gear ratio and the ability to easily swap the motors for low speed high torque operation which produces scale like speed and smooth realistic operation of the tracks. Its all about motor control in my threads. The final assembly eventually happens :)

SDM = Static Display Model. No motorized version available so no gearbox mounting plate molded into the chassis. Sprockets and road wheels are meant to be glued in place in a "static position" and will require modification to be used with a gearbox and active Track.

(SSDM) = Semi Static Display Model. Motorized versions available for this type model but gearbox is not included.

So the Panzer VI of this thread is a SSDM.

I have recently built a Panzer II F/G - Panzer III f,L - Panzer IV f,H and now a Panzer IV f,D 8)
Also a Panzer IV Flac Tank, I built 45 years ago also has a twin motor gearbox and runs very well 4.5 decades after it was built :crazy:
So that is 5 of these less popular Panzer Tanks that are Radio Remote Control :wave:

Yes we all have built Tigers, Tiger II, Panthers, JAGD Panthers and such and I never really had the chance at earlier Panzer tanks of WWII until recently. It is hard to find a twin motor motorized version of any of these Tanks but they are out there mostly on ebay but be prepared to pay a lot of money for them as they were produced in Japan in the 60's, 70's and possibly 80's. The newest one I have has date inside of 1975. Now I am talking about the ones with full metal gearbox.

The Panzer IV f,D of this thread is dated 1975. It had a single motor motorized and twin motor motorized remote control version available back in the 70's but those are extremely had to find with any motor these days.
However, this Panzer VI kit has all the parts to make it motorized less the motors\gearbox.
I have found that some Academy 1/35 kits are also configured for motors and will accept a Tamiya gearbox perfectly.

One of the models mentioned above (Panzer IV f,H) is an Academy model with a Tamiya M60 gearbox. More on that later in its own thread.

To make a Panzer IV motorized radio remote control, you can buy one from Japan when available on ebay for ~300+ in US dollars or.....you can use a gearbox from a Tamiya or Academy M60 Tank. The Academy M60 has a twin motor plastic gearbox and is EXCELLENT and works very well. The Panzer III MENTIONED ABOVE has a Academy M60 GB, more on that later (in a separate thread)

The M60 GB has a high mounted output drive shafts and that is what is required In Panzer III, IV's. with out extreme mods.

more as I get time....I add more detail any time I get time to do so. My posts are never final :O
Attachments
DX 6e Transmitter with 255 memories used to control this and many more radio control models.
DX 6e Transmitter with 255 memories used to control this and many more radio control models.
Low axle mount gearbox style. This Tank uses High mount axles.
Low axle mount gearbox style. This Tank uses High mount axles.
Well used gearbox that has been beefed up to last many hours over stock configuration. From a 1/35 Tamiya M60 A2 Tank.
Well used gearbox that has been beefed up to last many hours over stock configuration. From a 1/35 Tamiya M60 A2 Tank.
Twin motor metal gearbox with upgrade 8 tooth brass  pinion gears. twin 130 12 ohm (9V) motors. I keep them lubricated with 2 different oils. This gear box is due for maintenance of the front axles. I will talk about this in more detail later and may even show the procedure here ion this thread. You can see the numbers "60" stamped and indicates from a M60 Tank
Twin motor metal gearbox with upgrade 8 tooth brass pinion gears. twin 130 12 ohm (9V) motors. I keep them lubricated with 2 different oils. This gear box is due for maintenance of the front axles. I will talk about this in more detail later and may even show the procedure here ion this thread. You can see the numbers "60" stamped and indicates from a M60 Tank
6 channel DSM2 receiver. 2 channels being used here,  Aileron R,  Elevator L, - these two channels used with a mix for dual motors control using throttle stick mix to control both motors forward\reverse and aileron stick for L\R yaw or steering.
6 channel DSM2 receiver. 2 channels being used here, Aileron R, Elevator L, - these two channels used with a mix for dual motors control using throttle stick mix to control both motors forward\reverse and aileron stick for L\R yaw or steering.
Very nice model of the Panzer IV. These are available on ebay for < $35, somtimes with free shipping. I paid $27 for this one with free shipping. High Q SSDM 1/35 Tank model that is a prime candidate for conversion to (RRC) Radio Remote Control
Very nice model of the Panzer IV. These are available on ebay for < $35, somtimes with free shipping. I paid $27 for this one with free shipping. High Q SSDM 1/35 Tank model that is a prime candidate for conversion to (RRC) Radio Remote Control
IMG_8097.JPG (84.72 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Undergoing testing on my proving grounds track. Once the track system is tuned and tweaked, the next step would be adding the turret, main gun and finally completing the model assembly and adding decals and other finish details.
Undergoing testing on my proving grounds track. Once the track system is tuned and tweaked, the next step would be adding the turret, main gun and finally completing the model assembly and adding decals and other finish details.
For some reason, these are relatively inexpensive on ebay. This is a T2 model and is easy to convert to RRC with the proper Gearbox. Most any 1/35 Tamiya of Academy  M60 gearbox will work with minor sprocket modification.
For some reason, these are relatively inexpensive on ebay. This is a T2 model and is easy to convert to RRC with the proper Gearbox. Most any 1/35 Tamiya of Academy M60 gearbox will work with minor sprocket modification.
Last edited by modler on Tue May 31, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 19 times in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: 1/35 Tamiya Panzer IV D static to RRC with metal gearbox

Post by jarndice »

Where would I get a gearbox mounting plate for my Tamiya 1/35 Panzer 4 static ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

jarndice wrote:Where would I get a gearbox mounting plate for my Tamiya 1/35 Panzer 4 static ?
I know of no such gearbox plate for this model, however, you don’t need one. You drill 1 hole in the bottom of chassis to locate the gearbox
Last edited by modler on Sun May 29, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

modler wrote:
jarndice wrote:Where would I get a gearbox mounting plate for my Tamiya 1/35 Panzer 4 static ?
I know of no such gearbox plate, however, you don’t need one. You drill 1 hole in the bottom of chassis to locate the gearbox
Thank you, I shall perhaps open the box after more years than I care to think of :haha: :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

jarndice wrote:
modler wrote:
I know of no such gearbox plate, however, you don’t need one. You drill 1 hole in the bottom of chassis to locate the gearbox
Thank you, I shall perhaps open the box after more years than I care to think of :haha: :haha:

I will soon do a thread on a SDM Panzer III converted to radio remote control. To convert a SDM is much more difficult. The model in this thread, has a "motorized remote control" and or "motorized" versions but is also sold without the motors or gearbox. These Type 2 Static versions are much easier to convert as the "mounting plate" is molded into the chassis and the track sprockets are already able to interface to a gearbox and the sprocket axle openings are such as the gearbox is alined for the opening.

So in summation, There are two types of Tamiya static models, SDM (as Tamiya calls it on the box) and Type 2.
SDM = "Static Display Model" is truly "static" as it does not have a motorized version available. These can be converted but requires more skills as Sprockets, Axle output openings, motor mount, road wheels, all may need to be modified. Tracks in these "non motorized" versions also are different and are usually made of a softer Rubber as in the Tamiya Panzer III (throws tracks more easily) as apposed to the motorized versions with tracks made of a different Rubber compound that gets less traction and stays on the Sprockets better and almost never throws a track.

SDM = No motorized version available so no gearbox mounting plate molded into the chassis. Sprockets and road wheels are meant to be glued in place in a "static position" and will require modification to be used with a gearbox and active Track.

Type 2 Static = Motorized versions available for this model but gearbox is not included but can be added quite easily.
Attachments
Moulded &quot;Motor plate&quot; Gearbox locator rail detail. 1975 build year
Moulded "Motor plate" Gearbox locator rail detail. 1975 build year
IMG_8110.JPG (99.64 KiB) Viewed 549 times
It took both of these kits to build the Dual motor Panzer IV of this thread. I have bought two the M60 Tanks just to get the gearbox for my Panzer IV collection to upgrade them to &quot;Remote Control System&quot; status.
It took both of these kits to build the Dual motor Panzer IV of this thread. I have bought two the M60 Tanks just to get the gearbox for my Panzer IV collection to upgrade them to "Remote Control System" status.
IMG_8120.JPG (89.46 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Here is the dual motor &quot;Remote Control System&quot; from 1975
Here is the dual motor "Remote Control System" from 1975
IMG_8118.JPG (67.6 KiB) Viewed 551 times
This chassis has the dual motor gear box and is ready for chassis completion.
This chassis has the dual motor gear box and is ready for chassis completion.
IMG_8111.JPG (54.32 KiB) Viewed 551 times
The Panzer IV chassis has been upgraded to &quot;motorized&quot; and is now ready for chassis to be completed with Sprockets, road wheels, tracks.
The Panzer IV chassis has been upgraded to "motorized" and is now ready for chassis to be completed with Sprockets, road wheels, tracks.
IMG_8116.JPG (75.5 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Here is a &quot;Switch controlled motorized&quot; setup with custom wiring which makes it &quot;plug and play&quot;. The switch bulkhead has locator pins that keep it in place and is removable for service. Yeah, this version is Low Tech but elegant it its simplicity and is serviceable and that qualifies it as &quot;Hobby grade&quot;.
Here is a "Switch controlled motorized" setup with custom wiring which makes it "plug and play". The switch bulkhead has locator pins that keep it in place and is removable for service. Yeah, this version is Low Tech but elegant it its simplicity and is serviceable and that qualifies it as "Hobby grade".
IMG_8117.JPG (76.05 KiB) Viewed 551 times
&quot;Motorized&quot; versions come with a on\off switch. This makes it &quot; On\Off switch controlled motorized&quot;. It says &quot;its motorized&quot; on the box.
"Motorized" versions come with a on\off switch. This makes it " On\Off switch controlled motorized". It says "its motorized" on the box.
IMG_8113.JPG (62.56 KiB) Viewed 551 times
This Chassis can also be upgraded to &quot;motorized&quot; single motor.
This Chassis can also be upgraded to "motorized" single motor.
IMG_8109.JPG (55.99 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Here is the pan chassis of the Panzer IV with molded gearbox\motor plate or gearbox mount. The hole is for the GB mounting screw which is the GB mounting screw. There are 2 types of mounting rails, Outermost rails are for twin motor GB, the Inner rails are for single motor gearbox. So this chassis will accept a &quot;motorized&quot; single motor GB or a Remote Control dual motor GB. So this is a Type 2 chassis, ideal for Radio Remote Control conversion. The date made says 1975
Here is the pan chassis of the Panzer IV with molded gearbox\motor plate or gearbox mount. The hole is for the GB mounting screw which is the GB mounting screw. There are 2 types of mounting rails, Outermost rails are for twin motor GB, the Inner rails are for single motor gearbox. So this chassis will accept a "motorized" single motor GB or a Remote Control dual motor GB. So this is a Type 2 chassis, ideal for Radio Remote Control conversion. The date made says 1975
IMG_8108.JPG (64.82 KiB) Viewed 551 times
This is a Type 2 Static model that has a Motorized version and is ideal for radio remote control conversion. Does not indicate that it has a motorized version on the box.
This is a Type 2 Static model that has a Motorized version and is ideal for radio remote control conversion. Does not indicate that it has a motorized version on the box.
Last edited by modler on Tue May 31, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/35 Tamiya Panzer IV f.D T2 static to RRC metal gearbox

Post by modler »

This Panzer VI is a total success with regards to radio remote control upgrade.

Panzer VI Video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8dXSie64aU

I was able to clock 33 minutes on the TX timer with a 1s 150mah 25c Lipo. It is very fuel efficient with this gear ratio and 12 ohm motors.
Attachments
Track Sprockets are the same as a motorized kit &lt; gearbox and motors and is the reason I chose this kit to upgrade.
Track Sprockets are the same as a motorized kit < gearbox and motors and is the reason I chose this kit to upgrade.
IMG_8136.JPG (96.09 KiB) Viewed 539 times
The road wheels in this kit are the same as a motorized version because it is the same kit less the gearbox and motors
The road wheels in this kit are the same as a motorized version because it is the same kit less the gearbox and motors
IMG_8137.JPG (72.46 KiB) Viewed 539 times
This transmitter has 255 model memories available with a sim card that holds all the data. so it can be moved to another future Transmitter
This transmitter has 255 model memories available with a sim card that holds all the data. so it can be moved to another future Transmitter
They run best with a HG Computer radio and is another reason it can run so long due to the mixes and precise track speed options. This is the same thing they do on electric cars, limited the battery output for efficient operation.
They run best with a HG Computer radio and is another reason it can run so long due to the mixes and precise track speed options. This is the same thing they do on electric cars, limited the battery output for efficient operation.
Impressive run time from such a small lipo
Impressive run time from such a small lipo
IMG_8139.JPG (88.77 KiB) Viewed 539 times
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Semi Static Display Panzer IV f.D to RC + Vi

Post by modler »

Latest indoor track video of the Panzer VI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP3ctegho_Y
at the end of the video, I hit LVC on the right motor after 23 minutes. I thought the ESC or motor had failed :think:

I hate it when a Tank model tracks strait in forward but pulls L or R when going in reverse direction. So you need a independent trim for forward and reverse.

The Heng Long Transmitter I use for 1/24 - 1/30 scale models has such an option on those Transmitters. That is one of the main reasons I like the HL Transmitter plus the receiver boards for that TX are small and have a lot of features like I\R battle system, Sound with 4 levels with the push of a button, DP speed on 4 channels and so forth. :D

Well, after using that F\R independent trim on the HL TX, it is a must have option IMO. So with that in mind, I decided my Spektrum Transmitter needs that option. So after thinking about it, I came up with a mix that does just that. Don't know why I never thought of it before :think: Anyway I applied it to this Panzer VI which had very poor tracking in reverse. Now it tracks very goods in both forward and reverse. It would take a bit of time to explain how it works and if any interest I will try to do that other wise, it is not that hard to figure out but now, I have used up all the available mixes that are available for this memory slot. You get 4 programmable mixes and 3 more with less options per memory slot.
Attachments
this mix adds a trim for reverse that is independent of forward trim.
this mix adds a trim for reverse that is independent of forward trim.
IMG_8158.JPG (98.14 KiB) Viewed 516 times
This mix gives me toggle switch throttle F\R with center off. (D =SPDT)  with variable speed set from 1-99 in both directions.
This mix gives me toggle switch throttle F\R with center off. (D =SPDT) with variable speed set from 1-99 in both directions.
IMG_8157.JPG (90.13 KiB) Viewed 516 times
7 mixes available but only 4 are fully programmable. You can see here that I use L\R Aileron mixing for L\R Track control with Throttle channel being used to control L\R Aileron mix.  This is a strait-forward but advanced motor control mix and requires Computer mix Transmitter.
7 mixes available but only 4 are fully programmable. You can see here that I use L\R Aileron mixing for L\R Track control with Throttle channel being used to control L\R Aileron mix. This is a strait-forward but advanced motor control mix and requires Computer mix Transmitter.
IMG_8156.JPG (99.06 KiB) Viewed 516 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”