Works in progress...

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Re: Works in progress...

Post by stu_the_flat »

so before Covid I used to drive all round the highlands at night and take astronomy photographs with the landscape. I've been up your neck of the woods a few times although the bulk of my work is south of you. Hope to get back into it at some point. You can have a look at my work here if you want.

https://www.boundbystarlight.com/
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

43rdRecceReg wrote: Yes, well, one of these days I intend to kiss the Blarney Stone.
Sorry about starting thread drift!

It’s my wife who is the Corkonian. I’m a Cornishman by birth which is why Cork suits. Our daughter has inherited the Celtic gift of the gab in spades, and on our visits to Blarney we expressly tell her not to kiss the stone under any circumstances!

Anyway, I’m currently working on tank No.6, an HL Stug on a torsion bar lower hull. I’ve removed the 7.0 it came with, and have a 6.1s so that I can use servo recoil. But what colour? I currently favour a weathered dunkelgelb. Decisions, decisions…
Last edited by Timbo68 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

stu_the_flat wrote:so before Covid I used to drive all round the highlands at night and take astronomy photographs with the landscape. I've been up your neck of the woods a few times although the bulk of my work is south of you. Hope to get back into it at some point. You can have a look at my work here if you want.

https://www.boundbystarlight.com/
:clap: :clap: :clap: You have some beautifully crafted photos there, Stu. You must have almost limitless patience waiting for such moments- not to mention the skills needed to capture them.
The Galloway lighthouse caught my eye, but was then swamped by equally alluring photos. As it happens, I'm also a fan of castles, and spectacular ruins in particular- Like Kilchurn ( I see one in the mirror daily :haha: ).
My Canon SLR and bag of lenses have been sidelined in recent years by the iPhone. :problem: Twenty years ago, however, I got a few pics published on BBC Scotland, and in the Highland Press and Journal. They were taken with a 2MP point and shoot camera. These are the photos:
My late lamented, westie, Mac- guarding Loch Ewe:
...and my neighbour's lambs being suitably silent:
While I've always had an interest in photography, the iPhone has made me lazy. Still, I wish I'd had it back in 2001, when I saw the Northern Lights here, three nights in a row. :O
I had nothing to capture them with :|
You've captured the essence of them perfectly. Somewhere, I have a collection of shots (downloads) taken of the light by an Icelandic Photographer. They were equally jawdropping; but nothing compares with being beneath them.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now, back on track (literally), or tracks...
This would-be project, might be my next:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Timbo68 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote: Yes, well, one of these days I intend to kiss the Blarney Stone.
Sorry about starting thread drift!

It’s my wife who is the Corkonian. I’m a Cornishman by birth (but from the Scottish Borders according to Ancestry), which is why Cork suits. Our daughter has inherited the Celtic gift of the gab in spades, and on our visits to Blarney we expressly tell her not to kiss the stone under any circumstances!

Anyway, I’m currently working on tank No.6, an HL Stug on a torsion bar lower hull. I’ve removed the 7.0 it came with, and have a 6.1s so that I can use servo recoil. But what colour? I currently favour a weathered dunkelgelb. Decisions, decisions…
I wouldn't worry about it Kernow-man. :D The Celtic tradition of blether/blarney/gab, manifested in all Celtic nations, goes hand in hand with topic deviations. :thumbup: :wave:
Tank no 6, eh? Clearly, you're already a hopeless case. :thumbup:
Well, I've learned that for anyone who goes past 3 models, there's no turning back. :wtf: :lolno:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That T34 will be the one I wanted to do and ended up buying one done!!
I would recommend getting in touch with Mr Raminator for a set of wheels. That way you can keep the trumpeter ones unaltered for other uses or sale.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:That T34 will be the one I wanted to do and ended up buying one done!!
I would recommend getting in touch with Mr Raminator for a set of wheels. That way you can keep the trumpeter ones unaltered for other uses or sale.
Duly noted, HB- and didn't he do a fantastic job on the T34/76 :clap:

I've noticed that in Youtube Russian WW2 movies, they often seem to have a plentiful supply of T34/85s and even KV1s; but in a couple of movies I've seen lately, that really demanded T34/76s- there were none. :problem: I wonder why? Maybe they were all melted down to make T 34/85s.
Interestingly, there was a genuine hulk of a very rusty Panzer 3, however. Indeed, I saw another film with (period) hulks of Panzer IVs and 111s. Clearly, the scrap man wasn't interested. :|
I thought most scrap metals go to China these days, anyway. Not all, clearly.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hi Roy,

Great pictures there! Wow, a Russian tank! That would be a change of pace for you and would look very nice with your collection!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Oops, scratch that! I was just oogling your pics and saw that you already have a T34/85! :{

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Show Off”