M-113 Lynx Command and Recon AFV - 1/16 RC

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

For the guys checking the Show off section, the complete build can be seen in the Modern build section at viewtopic.php?f=202&t=32329

This is the smaller M-113 Lynx Command and Recon version of the M-113, as used by the Canadian army from the 1960s to 1996 when it was replaced by the Coyote 8x8 LAV-25.

The model has the following features;
- Scratch build chassis, turret and most detailing.
- Tank Modellbau M-113 metal tracks with rubber pads, sprockets, idlers, torsion blade suspension, sprocket hubs, tow hooks, road wheel hub caps.
- Ludwig M-113 3D printed road wheels.
- Twin JGA25-370 motorization with drive shafts to sprockets.
- Tamiya M2 machine gun with Aber barrel sleeve, sight, ammo and links. M2 and barrel hollowed with LED for flash.
- Classy Hobby Browning M1919 with Aber metal barrel
- Wired for Clark TK-22 control board
- Turret rotation with HL rotation unit
- Servo M2 machine gun elevation, firing with flash and sound
- Manually operable trim vane, with front and top hatches
- Modified DGS Commonwealth tank crew (the driver is a gift from Dean).
- Shown in UN markings as used during peace keeping missions in the 1970+.
square4
Lance Corporal

Re: M-113 Lynx Command and Recon AFV - 1/16 RC

Post by square4 »

Very good looking model, and nice to see something different. :clap: :clap:
I never finish anyth
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I watched the build and am glad you are putting the finished photos here, too. Apart from your usual brilliant, skillful modeling, I also appreciate your building the APC as a UN vehicle, creating something so interestingly different. Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you Square4 and Herr Dr. Professor.

I was inspired by a 1/35 kit for this one. As a builder, scratch building these "one of a kind" in 1/16 is what is keeping me fascinated by the hobby these days.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Louis,

As always, a marvel to behold!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

m113-1.jpg
m113-1.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 584 times
An amazing bit of work! Do you have a video of it driving and maybe even fording in water? Your excellent worksmanship only exceeded by the uniqueness of the model.

I'm still puzzled why Heng long or Tamiya have yet to come out with their own 1/16 R/C incarnation of the M-113. (I know Tamiya has the 1/35 that even used to be R/C but those are so rare to find nowadays I quit looking). An M-113 would seem to be a natural thing to add to their product lines, I can't imagine an easier shape to turn into a 1/16 model but so far, nothing doing! I even emailed Tamiya last year to request they make one of these, along with a T-55 or even a T-62, for all the good it will do, probably. But so far, of course, the only way to get one is from Ludwig's parts sets. And I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do all the scratch building and engineering it would take to make one as you did.

Ludwig offers the pieces to turn into your own M-113 hull, and surprisingly reasonably priced too. But since nobody else makes the rest of the partsexcept for him, that must be where he really cleans up on all of it, no doubt! Some builds I've seen, just use the tracks from a Panzer III more or less interchangeably or when the project starts getting a bit too pricey, I suppose.

https://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/M113 ... eitung.pdf
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Marc780 wrote:Do you have a video of it driving and maybe even fording in water?
Thanks, yes, i will try to make one today, in the snow. It does not go into water though.

This is my fourth 1/16 M113 based vehicle that i build in past 5 years. All the build reports can be seen in the modern tank section of this website.

First one, the M-113 ACAV uses the Ludwig base kit and panzer III tracks. The second one is using the Verlinden 1/16 resin kit, tank Modellbau running train and scratch building. The Verlinden kit is advertised as 1/15 like many of their large scale resin models but strangely, this one is really 1/16 and a perfect match, so the whole Verlinden upper chassis and interior can be used. Its now very rare to see one for sale. Third one is the Australian M113 MRV with scorpion turret and then this one.

The Tank Modellbau running train parts below are available, expensive and mainly represent parts used on German or Nato M-113. Using them is a project on its own. Its always difficult to adapt parts from different vendors, Ludwig and Tank Modellbau are obviously not talking because none of their stuff is designed to fit together. I usually end up having to redo the Ludwig lower chassis to fit the Tank Modellbau suspension, and hiding those interlocking joints everywhere is killing me. That's why i found it simpler this time to simply scratch build the whole chassis myself with measurements and shapes extrapolated from 1/35 kit.
Tank Modellbau
Tank Modellbau
I remember agonizing over the decision to buy the Ludwig M113 basic kit 5 years ago... I was not into scratch building at all at the time. I was still happy kit bashing Heng Long Panzers and Sherman models one after the other, with a couple of Tamiya that i could afford. But at one point, i got fed up with building the same chassis and needed a change to keep interest in the hobby. Going into Ludwig kits was really intimidating and i was not sure i could build one. Luckily, his M113 is truly an entry level kit for such project, simple and strait forward. I have no regrets. I got hooked. My modelling skills improved significantly with the building of Ludwig kits. I have built many of his models since then. And now i feel i am no longer dependent on what is available on the market. If i want something, i can probably build it myself. I encourage people to explore, go beyond their comfort zone and see where it leads.

Return to “Show Off”