US Case VAI Tractor

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

US Case VAI Tractor

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

Hi There
We don't think we have ever done a 'Show Off' build before on here, but this one is quite special as it has been built for our daughter for here 6th Birthday today

This one has been designed and built to look like a Case VAI tractor from the 1930s and painted in 2 tone civilian colours with red oxide and yellow matt colours

It is fully RC and in 1/16 scale like most of our models are.
It features a 20a esc, a nano servo for steering and a tiny gear reduction 12v motor and runs 2s lipo. THere is a small toolbox the battery hides in, even if the wires for the battery are visible themselves.

From the last tractor we built for our son Oscar, we have gone for a lot slower motor with more torque.
The axle runs as a solid axle and metal bevel gears and mounted on metal ball races as are the front wheels so they run smoothly.

The servo was carefully palced to look like the original steering mechanism of a real version.

Its light weight and runs for 35-40mins on a single charge and is more than capable of running in grass, sand, mud and water(although nothing is waterproof so care needs to be taken)

William designed and made this model and I painted it and weathered lightly

Videos will be posted once we have some

The main chassis and axles and suspension is printed out of PLA, the cosmetic small detail parts are all printed in Water washable Resin on our SLA printer.
The chassis features metal rods inserted to strengthen the main structure.
Some people don't like to hear PLA being used for such an application, but the strength of this little unit is very impressive and our son Oscar has been running his for a while and it gets hard abuse.
We have enough materials to make one more and might go for a blue or a very rusty looking version next, but will add on the extra auxillary drive so we can drive some implements off the back of it

The tyres are printed in TPU by Wayne to our design and offer great grip and have a good level of flexibility for the application.
Abigail was over the moon this morning opening up here new unique model. I wonder what we have to make next year!
Sapthiro
Recruit

Re: US Case VAI Tractor

Post by Sapthiro »

I did not find such tractors, so I will ask you what they were used for? After all, it was not convenient to use such tractors to pull trailers because of their weight and weak motor. And it is not profitable to keep such a colossus in the garden just so that I can move around my plot on it. Isn't it? Although, probably before, they attached some equipment to such tractors and plowed the land. Sometimes when I look at the new tractors from the series https://www.machinerydealer.co.uk/compa ... -for-sale/, it seems to me that you mess with them, you can ruin everything.
Last edited by Sapthiro on Mon May 16, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

They were used alot on airfields to tow around aircraft and although these tractors are small and have small engines, they have alot of torque and grunt to tow aircraft around.
They would also be used to mow airfields

Also these tractors were used alot on training grounds to pull artillery around aswell as moving artillery around

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=180055
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The RAF use Douglas Tractors to tow their aircraft no matter how big the type may be and I speak from personal experience of driving a Fergie to tow Army aviation Light aircraft such as the DHC 2 Beaver/U6,
Trust me the price of Avgas/Avtag and the saving of airframe and engine hours means a massive saving to the taxpayer to tow an Aircraft rather than taxi it.
The Fergie had no top end but it did not need it, The thing was originally geared to pull tree stumps out of the ground and be a general mechanical helpmate around a farm with a PTO (Power take off) and a very frugal but totally reliable engine,
It was ideal for our needs.You could hook it to a tow bar then connect to the Undercarriage and the power could be fed into the pull so smoothly that it eliminates any strain on the airframe which is just as well as there is a sheer pin in the tow bar,
Just don't agree to drive one in a monsoon storm :thumbdown: :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Show Off”