80th Anniversary of the Willys Jeep

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Ad Lav
Captain

80th Anniversary of the Willys Jeep

Post by Ad Lav »

Attended a nice military vehicle show with my Jeep at Brooklands Museum at the weekend, along with 100 other Willys Jeeps to break the record for the most Willys Jeeps in one place and to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the iconic vehicle.

Ten points if you find ‘Where’s Ad Lav’ :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 80th Anniversary of the Willys Jeep

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Great picture Adam :D bet it was an excellent day :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I certainly would have enjoyed that show, Lee! I am going to look for more photos posted online. 55 years ago I was a young fellow in the Civil Air Patrol out of a small airfield here in southern Wisconsin. I was drilled, drilled, drilled; :/ I became a member of the Search and Rescue Team; and I even became a drill instructor But I never once got an airplane ride. :wtf: I did, however, get one off-road ride in a vintage USAF Jeep, and I remember wondering how that little thing could go anywhere without getting stuck. :clap: Then, too, I wondered how I did not fall out of it. :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I suggest that you have not enjoyed the magic carpet ride of the Austin Champ in comparison to the Willy's Jeep, Alec Issigonis the designer of the Austin Mini was the in house designer of the Champs full independent suspension which also had a 5 speed synchromesh gearbox with 5 gears available in reverse and a Rolls Royce B40 engine,
Introduced into service in 1950 it was my wheels into 1966 when it was withdrawn and replaced by a godawful land rover.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:think: I'd bet you had fun! I have never seen one here in the 'states. Too bad...
https://silodrome.com/austin-champ-history/
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

jarndice wrote:I suggest that you have not enjoyed the magic carpet ride of the Austin Champ in comparison to the Willy's Jeep, Alec Issigonis the designer of the Austin Mini was the in house designer of the Champs full independent suspension which also had a 5 speed synchromesh gearbox with 5 gears available in reverse and a Rolls Royce B40 engine,
Introduced into service in 1950 it was my wheels into 1966 when it was withdrawn and replaced by a godawful land rover.
Thats wicked, 5 gears in reverse sounds like fun!

We have been lucky to have got some blueprints and many pictures of the Champ as one of our friends has asked us to make a 1/16 version. Didn't know it was full independent suspension. Looks like i going to have to think of a way to realise that in the model hahahaha
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I would be interested in the way you plan to r/c a 1/16 Champ Will because they are more compact than the Jeep but put my name down for one if you succeed :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

jarndice wrote:I would be interested in the way you plan to r/c a 1/16 Champ Will because they are more compact than the Jeep but put my name down for one if you succeed :thumbup:
I have an idea on axles and make some conversion parts and then sling a body over the top. It does mean buying an rc car to strip for parts to make a scale vehicle, but it could work nicely

Sorry diverting from the thread topic.

I managed to squeeze everything in on the 1/4 ton utility truck, had i known, i could have taken several rc scale versions down to make up numbers hahahaha
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Great picture Adam :D bet it was an excellent day :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Thanks Lee, was a great day out.

The museum is well worth a visit.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

jarndice wrote:I suggest that you have not enjoyed the magic carpet ride of the Austin Champ in comparison to the Willy's Jeep, Alec Issigonis the designer of the Austin Mini was the in house designer of the Champs full independent suspension which also had a 5 speed synchromesh gearbox with 5 gears available in reverse and a Rolls Royce B40 engine,
Yes, you mentioned about the champ once before. Sadly not as iconic as the Jeep - ugly beast but each to their own.

Return to “Show Off”