Anybody know how to -stop- buying tanks?

Here is where you can show off you tanks, post pics and info on your arsenal!

Postby Rob1970 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:35 pm

Seriously, I think I have a problem...
Help?
Rob1970
Lance Corporal

Postby john1970 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Buying tanks isn't the problem its finding somewhere to put them

john1970
Lance Corporal

Postby Rob1970 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:48 pm

john1970 wrote:Buying tanks isn't the problem its finding somewhere to put them

Uhm... yeah... about that. That problem is solved as soon as I buy -another- tank after this one. To quote SWMBO; "You can keep them on -my- side of the bed..."

I -think- she was joking... sort of...
Rob1970
Lance Corporal

Postby RobW » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 pm

You're in the wrong place to be asking that.....

RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby john1970 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:19 pm

Rob1970 wrote:

Uhm... yeah... about that. That problem is solved as soon as I buy -another- tank after this one. To quote SWMBO; "You can keep them on -my- side of the bed..."

I -think- she was joking... sort of...

you should thank her for volunteering the space

john1970
Lance Corporal

Postby Kaczor » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 pm

Wrong forum. Cheap Heng Long tanks are only beginning.
Kaczor
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:01 pm

I'm telling ya, its time to pull the birthday gift scam !!

"G'day John'o, Happy (insert number) birthday mate, and I as I couldnt really think of what to get you. Hope these are what you like"
Let me know when the gifts arrives

You can have it handy for when you know one or two are about to arrive & pull it out a few days before :shifty: :shh: @)

Hell, Im even happy to call you on a phone, just to further enhance the scam................she will fully believe that the accent on the phone is representative of the birthday card.
Whatever it takes to help a fellow tankaholic out ;)
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Jarlath » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:16 am

LOL. How to stop buying tanks...
Run out of money & credit...
Jarlath
Corporal

Postby thestig » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Putting money you have would have spent on tanks to help cover your alimony payments.

thestig
Private

Postby midlife306 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby NAB » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Rob1970 wrote:Seriously, I think I have a problem...
Help?
I find that when I get the urge to make a purchase I remind myself that I'm currently in the middle of the KT build and need to finish that..... Then I go buy something for the KT instead lol

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

NAB
Corporal

Postby Rob1970 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:44 am

Okay, that Tiger I just came in. Box smelled to high heaven... definitely -not- a smoke-free home. But I didn't buy it for the box. Controller was... sticky. Let's keep it at that. The kind of sticky you get if you keep something on top of a cupboard in a smoker's home. I bet if I lick my finger I will get a nicotine rush... ewww... thank the gods for alcohol wipes...

According to the seller it was a TK5.x... I put in a fresh loaded battery and took it for a (slightly sticky-fingered) test drive. Everything works. Drive, turn, shoot. Turret... hey, it goes 360... odd... on a TK5.x. Better not push it. Smoker... hmm.. doesn't work. Notice the engine noise... Uhm...  Tiger, Check. Leopard...? Uhm... okay. Abrams... rrright... T90? Okay, now I am getting curious. So. unscrew the bottom of the beast...

Okay, now I know why the smoker doesn't work. It's the old type. And that DOES NOT WORK WITH A TK6.0!!! ;D
No slip ring on the turret, and it shows. The wiring to the turret is a nice tightly-twisted snake. Already evidence of wires ripped loose and re-soldered. But a slip ring I can get for... 10 bucks? Nylon gearbox... I think I can life with that until it strips itself and I need to replace it. With the full metal tracks, wheels, exhausts, bow MG and other stuff, and an unexpected bonus TK6.0... oh, and I talked the guy down to 150 euros including shipping...

I robbed the guy...
Rob1970
Lance Corporal

Postby Rob1970 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:45 pm

Update on the Tiger...

Wow... This was one sick kitty. I think the cavalry uses the expression "Ridden hard and put away wet"...
Decided to start unplugging the TK6.0 and found a lot of mysteries...

• IR transmitter was plugged in... but nothing visible on the turret
  • Same for the IR receiver. Channel had  a plug in it, not connector visible on the turret. Some sleuthing and deconstruction found a connector for an IR receiver and what I assume is an IR LED stuffed into the turret.
  • The BB gun had 3(!) plugs coming from it. One was correctly plugged into the "Trigger" channel, the other two came from the BB motor, and were plugged into the BB-shot channel... and the heater channel of the smoker! I de-soldered the mess that was the BB gun and redid it right.
  • The bow MG is an upgrade metal version (a very nice one) but it was installed by a blind man with a hammer. Nothing I can't fix, but it made me chuckle.
  • Same went for the front lights. Re-wired by someone with the old twist and cellotape method. That will be fixed too.
  • The road wheels were all loose, and a bunch of the hex screws have stripped heads. So the hunt is on for replacement screws.
  • The speaker was(n't) working, one of the wires has a bad split. Something else to fix.
  • The turret has a 360 turret ring, but no slip ring. Now on the hunt for a slip ring with enough channels that won't break the bank.

And the damn thing still stinks like a cuspidor in a Western saloon... tomorrow it gets completely stripped and dipped. 

Edit; Almost forgot my question; can you rewire the smoker to the two plug configuration TK6.0 uses without penalty? Give the fan motor and heater their own plug as it were? Or am I better and safer off getting a new style smoker?

TTFN,
Rob
Rob1970
Lance Corporal

Postby BarryC » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:01 am

Why? ;) Just added a Tamiya 1/16 M26 to the stash. I'll now have to live to be like 200 to have any chance of building what I have in the stash!

Barry
BarryC

Postby tankme » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:17 am

BarryC wrote:Why? ;) Just added a Tamiya 1/16 M26 to the stash. I'll now have to live to be like 200 to have any chance of building what I have in the stash!

Barry

I know how you feel especially if every tank is going to get the same attention to detail your Abrams has...:) I've actually been making a lot of progress on my stash lately. Guess that means I need to do some updates to my builds.

tankme
Sergeant

Postby midlife306 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:40 am

You know you’re in trouble when you do a tidy up & you find TANK’S that you didn’t know you had….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
midlife306

Postby Captain Hilts » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:43 pm

You can tell awful lies about me ,and take away my money , but I will still be married to the girl I love , I will still get stauners and I will always have more toys than I need. GIRUY . @)
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Postby BarryC » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:25 pm

Ain't that the truth! 8O

Barry
BarryC

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:24 am

Captain Hilts wrote:...but I will still be married to the girl I love , I will still get stauners and I will always have more toys than I need. GIRUY . @)

Oh-oh: I had to look up "stauners" and "GIRUY." :{
Herr Dr. Professor
Staff Sergeant

Postby Rob1970 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:54 am

Don't judge me... I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM, A'RIGHT!!!

Already had the grey Tiger and the Leopard, mind you...

Oh, and they came with a cool container...

So uhm... yeah... 27Mhz, so all need converting. And the Pantiger had a problem with the gearbox, which the seller thus replaced. And then it would not come on... probably knocked a connector loose inside...

But for 125 euros for all three of them? The spare parts alone should be worth it if I don't upgrade them. Might turn the Tiger into a Sturmtiger...

TTFN,
Rob
Rob1970
Lance Corporal

Next

Return to Show Off