Rad Re-captured KV-2

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Rad Re-captured KV-2

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Here is an example of the nifty markings one can have from Rad Schuhart’s paint masks. This is a Torro Russian KV-2, representing one captured by the Germans, who repainted it Dunkelgrau and modified with a better commander’s hatch, and ammunition and fuel/water stowage.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall where I read that one or two of the 334+ KV-2 manufactured had been captured by the Germans and then re-captured by Russians. My only book dedicated to the KV tanks is:

Zaloga, Steven J. and Jim Kinnear. KV-1 and 2 Heavy Tanks. Osprey/New Vanguard. 1995. ISBN978-1-85532-496-1.

Thanks to Rad’s great masks, my imagined re-captured KV-2 reads “Prodigal Son” on both sides of the turret.
KV2 RCTW 01.jpg
KV2 RCTW 02.jpg
Then, too, Rad provided extra mask goodies, some of which I have in storage for future projects, and one of which I used to put a Red Star on the rear turret loading hatch. Thanks Rad! What fun!
KV2 RCTW 03.jpg
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAB
Corporal

Re: Rad Re-captured KV-2

Post by NAB »

Nice clean lines on the stencils. Great looking tank but I never understood what the Russians were thinking with that turret design!

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Rad Re-captured KV-2

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

The KV-2's turret was to fit the big gun. The KV-2 was not intended for tank-to-tank combat or troop support so much as for block-busting--knocking through and knocking down fortifications such as those made of thick cement (Zaloga and Kinnear 12). Despite its skyscraper turret (Ja, Heini! Sieh da: ist's so groß! Schieß mal), one of the KV-2s "stalled the 6th Panzer Division for several days" (Zaloga and Kinnear 10)

Return to “Show Off”