An odd thing to show off, but I'm odd, so...

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Mister Thrice
Recruit

An odd thing to show off, but I'm odd, so...

Post by Mister Thrice »

Hey there fellow tank enthusiasts!
This picture is nothing special, but it is to me! Soldering is like sewing to me, it's easy to understand, and it can be easy to do, but for some reason, I just dont care much for it, and it aggravates me. Maybe it's because I can't find my helping hands units at the moment... Maybe it's because I'm stuck in an apartment and thus have no real good work area to sit down and accomplish my micro goals...

I have bobbed all my batteries, and tank, and the 10 years old gal's first RC truck of any connectors that are not Deans. I then soldered appropriate deans connectors onto everything. Now all of my batteries and rc's are on the same connector, so I have a bit over 18 hours of tank driving time available.

Also there's this truck, the EACHINE EAT01. I love it and I'm going to be upgrading it pretty heavily. But for what it is stock, I loved it so much I bought two. What makes this truck so special is that it is FULLY PROPORTIONAL out of the box. Plus it's only around $50 USD give or take. I did pay $74.99 for both of mine from Banggood because I wanted the canopy (which is only available in the camo that doesn't match any of their vehicles? But hey it makes for a great pattern, though, I will be adding about a quarter of an inch to all external measurements for a much better fitment), and I wanted an extra battery. I got big plans for these guys...

Finally, I believe I will be making my M41 the Danish DK-1, as I love the additional framework on the turret, the delivery box truck rearview mirrors, and all those scopes and rangefinders and whatnot will really allow me to put a small FPV camera in one of those housings (if not 2?) and allow me to experience that. It seems like a childhood dream of mine, and also the closest I will get to driving a real tank, so I'd say it's pretty necessary. 8)

I am curious though, plastic is just a bit weak for the framework I want to do on the turret, does anybody recommend an aluminum tubing, or copper tubing for this kind of work? I want to get everything set up first to make sure it looks right, then I will get to the painting. I'm so terribly excited to make little popsicle stick ammo crates and 1/16 watch towers, and such. Heavily considering a big wooden crate for the little truck to put a big battery in it. I never used the 1800mAh battery Heng Long gives you with the tank because 1800mAh is just a bit small for what I wanted for it. So my Hoovo 5000mAh was a good fit (after some cutting...) so I will probably pick up it's own battery with those parameters. Long story short, the heng long battery gave 2 hours of drive time to my little military truck. Which is insane compared to the 20 minute batteries they give you.

So that is all. A pair of pictures and a (admittedly overly) proud solder-monkey. These things are a blast. Next steps are the metal turret rotation gear, and some better shocks for the back 6 shocks. The all metal tracks, wheels, and gear box added some major butt-weight to the tank, and the return rollers on the back rub the road wheels just enough to make a horrendous squeaky sound, very unlike a real tank, this is high pitched and ear-bleedy, so yeah, better shocks, bought or built, it's going to happen. Also reinforce the hull internally, and I'm going to be putting the MFCB in a small, air-tight, water-proof seal, locking lid tupperware thing. That way the unit will be completely waterproof, and I can drill small holes for the wiring to come through, and seal those up with silicone caulking. I understand waterproofing is always a goal, but never 100%, but I do live in a rain forest, and the tank handles extremely well under the rough and tumble I put it through. I think I need to figure out tensioning of the tracks, because the right track is just a bit floppy, and it's the only one that comes off on the regular (once or twice a run in 4 hours 45 minutes, the life of the battery I use with it). So it's not a bad thing, or even too often. Maybe just the better shocks will do it. Are these things oil-filled? Because I have several weights of shock oil for my other RC's, and I do have some heavy weight stuff (mostly for that big blue prick behind the truck in the photo, she's such a diva, but empty shocks with springs versus shock oil springs is a night and day difference....

Thanks for reading. Sorry I'm so verbose. I got a lot of excitement and aint nobody around here wants to hear it no more. My dad is getting interested, but I need to convert an M41 to an M60 for him to get really interested. He drove those and the Sheridans in the Army during his 'career' there. Though, my dad 'chose' the military over a couple years in jail for breaking his principals nose and jaw, so the military was just a better choice for him then. But he still got to drive tanks, so good on ya, dad!!

See ya around fellas (and Ladies, should there be some dedicated gals to the hobby as well!)
I'll be outside with my tank and my truck. B)
Attachments
All the Deans.jpeg
EAT01.jpeg
EAT01.jpeg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
“Don't slide down the rabbit hole. The way down is a breeze, but climbing back's a battle.” --Kate Morton
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: An odd thing to show off, but I'm odd, so...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

That's all nicely descriptive, and brimming with the type of enthusiasm I'm sure we all apppreciate here. :thumbup:
I'd say that's especially the case, given the global lockdowns and lockouts happening since early 2020.
If you could post more images of that amazing-looking truck, that are as crisp as that of the Dean's battery connectors, my ageing peepers would really appreciate them! I'm sure others would too. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Post by Mister Thrice »

43rdRecceReg- Of course! My apologies, I figure you all know all of this stuff, have all of this stuff, have heard of and seen of all of this stuff, didn't dawn on me you'd care much for more pictures of it! Here is a photo shoot I did after removing the annoying FPV camera port, as that wont be needed. Also re-routed the short wires for the LED headlights, it''s socketed for 4, but they only give you the 2. The rear 'lights' are plastic decor, and the battery cables were also routed the wrong, long way, so I re-did that to maximize what was there.

I still have to lock the differentials, I have a small jug of Kyosho 300,000 weight differential 'oil,' though, it's more like silicone caulk at that weight. Then the WPL leaf springs are only about $10USD so those are a bit springier, and less rigid, which, after some youtube videos, can attest to the difference. Anyhow, enough rambling. I'm very stoked, hope you all enjoy!
Attachments
I removed them both because I want to use this are for other things.
I removed them both because I want to use this are for other things.
EAT01 Without some kind of can.jpeg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
This side had a pair of gas cans (fused together, unpainted, average quality) and this weird box can thing...
This side had a pair of gas cans (fused together, unpainted, average quality) and this weird box can thing...
EAT01 Some kind of can.jpeg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Canopy is held on with a thin bungee style cord, through the shoe grommets in the canopy, and then attached to the little tarp hooks on the truck bed, and tension adjusted to allow for the best fit.  It doesn't fit so well, I will be adding about a quarter inch to all sides for a much better fit.  Mom told me a good website for outdoor fabrics, so naturally a heavy canvas that's been waterproofed is in order.
Canopy is held on with a thin bungee style cord, through the shoe grommets in the canopy, and then attached to the little tarp hooks on the truck bed, and tension adjusted to allow for the best fit. It doesn't fit so well, I will be adding about a quarter inch to all sides for a much better fit. Mom told me a good website for outdoor fabrics, so naturally a heavy canvas that's been waterproofed is in order.
The detail inside is not mind blowing, but that there is any there, and what is there isn't so bad is a bonus.
The detail inside is not mind blowing, but that there is any there, and what is there isn't so bad is a bonus.
EAT01 Open door policy.jpeg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
These clasps will not last forever.  Good thing theres a few dozen ways to improve this.
These clasps will not last forever. Good thing theres a few dozen ways to improve this.
EAT01 Little hitches.jpeg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Spacious...
Spacious...
EAT01 Open Canopy Flap.jpeg (62.68 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
They've sewn in a little steel rod in the bottom of the canopy flap so that it hangs naturally and bounces around while you drive it.  It's terribly hilarious and I cant wait to make it a better one!
They've sewn in a little steel rod in the bottom of the canopy flap so that it hangs naturally and bounces around while you drive it. It's terribly hilarious and I cant wait to make it a better one!
EAT01 Canopy Flap.jpeg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
The canopy
The canopy
EAT01 Canopy.jpeg (82.01 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Standard, without canopy
Standard, without canopy
EAT01 Truck bed style.jpeg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
My unadorned M41 and the Stock Eachine EAT01 (all their models begin with EAT and then the 3 digit number...  ahem...)
My unadorned M41 and the Stock Eachine EAT01 (all their models begin with EAT and then the 3 digit number... ahem...)
EAT01 plus M41.jpeg (80.86 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
“Don't slide down the rabbit hole. The way down is a breeze, but climbing back's a battle.” --Kate Morton
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :D Thanks!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yes, I do appreciate the pictures. If I understand correctly, you significantly modified the running gear of the truck. Is that right?

"...and Ladies, should there be some dedicated gals to the hobby as well!" You raise a good point, Mister Thrice! I would be interested to know if other women attend to RCTW. I know of only the capable Catherine who works with Willi Capri (WCP models and crafts)--and their little ones, all of whom handle RC as if they were born knowing about it.
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Post by Mister Thrice »

Herr Dr. Professor - I have not yet modified much of anything, just the battery connector, the routing of it, and removal of those components. But, I do plan on heavily modifying this, much the same as all my rc's, tank included. I found some aluminum dually's for the back 4 tires (turning them into the 8 tires in back, 2 in front), and an all metal upgrade for the axle housings, metal differentials, and then I will be making carbon fiber reinforcements for many aspects of the truck.

There is also metal frame beams, 3 "I" beams and one "C" beam in the back for the bumper. I want a sound module, a tank smoke system, and many, many lights. Not quite sure which direction I will go with this one, but I'm thinking a "SETI" rig (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) with crated up UFO parts and glowing scientific looking apparatus for glowing fluid, the whole nerd thing. I'm an overgrown child, I can admit that...

With a bit of that differential oil, it will be a much better climber, possibly up to 45 degrees or more, but this is more about the fun of it, and making it scale, and quite a bit heavier and more powerful. For the cost, I could not resist!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

What a hoot! Yes, I can understand that the SETI equipment and various glowing goodies will be great fun, sure to bring on admiration and laughs. Go for it and please show us the fun.
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Post by Mister Thrice »

Copy that, Herr Dr. Professor. I've begun putting on the walker bulldog bits and bobs that will be there for the DK-1, and I was going to throw some diff. oil in the SETI truck tonight. Tires and foams soon, and then the metal components at the speed of free money. Pics as progress dictates.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Yes, I do appreciate the pictures. If I understand correctly, you significantly modified the running gear of the truck. Is that right?

"...and Ladies, should there be some dedicated gals to the hobby as well!" You raise a good point, Mister Thrice! I would be interested to know if other women attend to RCTW. I know of only the capable Catherine who works with Willi Capri (WCP models and crafts)--and their little ones, all of whom handle RC as if they were born knowing about it.
I know of only 2 other women friends who are into RC models, don't really understand why there aren't more, but the more the merrier
Catherine is extremely involved and loves the painting and weathering side of things, she doesn't like the making of custom canopies for models, which she has done a few for, although they always look great

Keep up the good work on the truck, those Fayee FY004 can be made to look real great

Here's some pictures of the last one we built
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Post by Mister Thrice »

Will01Capri - That is a beautiful looking rig for certain! I still cant believe how much fun the scale speed military and the like rc's are. Their batteries last for hours, upgrades are cheap and easy... Going to be ordering some carbon fiber sheets soon to get some work done on (in) the tank and similar treatment for the FY004A and EAT01. Reinforcements, primarily. But also going to cut this aluminum C bar I picked up into bumpers for the back (and drill out some lights for it). Lots of little steps will end up being a crazy custom creation I can't wait to cruise.

A plus work friend!

Return to “Show Off”