Tiger Vs Sherman IR battle Tanks 1/24 HL electronics conversion

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Tiger Vs Sherman IR battle Tanks 1/24 HL electronics conversion

Post by modler »

I recently got a Vs Tiger and Sherman from a member here and after evaluating these very detailed machines, decided I wanted to do a Heng Long 2.4G radio swap. I prefer the simpler control of 2 stick control with true proportional control Vs the 3 button stepped control of the Vs Tank Transmitter.
Attachments
Vs Tx on the left, HL on the right.
Vs Tx on the left, HL on the right.
IMG_6421.JPG (58.18 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Next step is to connect the turret drive motor, IR emitter,detector and head lights.
Next step is to connect the turret drive motor, IR emitter,detector and head lights.
HL radio installed enough to do a mobility test. Result is good. Was not sure the main motors from the Vs tank would be compatible with the HL board. It is thank goodness.
HL radio installed enough to do a mobility test. Result is good. Was not sure the main motors from the Vs tank would be compatible with the HL board. It is thank goodness.
Most of the connectors in both tanks are compatible.
Most of the connectors in both tanks are compatible.
the Heng Long radio is the same as used in this 1/30 scale HL M3 Sherman.
the Heng Long radio is the same as used in this 1/30 scale HL M3 Sherman.
Heng Long radio shown  in lower picture
Heng Long radio shown in lower picture
works fine but is not compatible with any battle tank I have.
works fine but is not compatible with any battle tank I have.
27mhz radio removed
27mhz radio removed
This thing has a very nice speaker and is quite loud. Unfortunately no volume control of any kind. Also when the tank stops moving the engine sound stops. I don't like that.
This thing has a very nice speaker and is quite loud. Unfortunately no volume control of any kind. Also when the tank stops moving the engine sound stops. I don't like that.
Tear down of the Vs Tank Tiger 1
Tear down of the Vs Tank Tiger 1
Last edited by modler on Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
modler
Corporal

Re: 1/24 Tiger 1 Vs Tank 27mhz radio to Heng Long 2.4g

Post by modler »

I decided to upgrade the HL board so that it has main gun up\down elevation. The HL 1/30 scale Tanks do not have gun elevation, well, they do but the left off the TC118S motor drive chip and the connector. So all that is needed to add this function to the circuit board is to solder on the motor drive chip and its associated connector. These chips are readily available from ebay. In the pictures and video below shows the work done to add this function.

Here is a video of the main gun turret drive upgrade. https://youtu.be/WtcY99epyaI

So with this mod the circuit board provides main gun up\down along with main gun left right, fully digital proportional control on both.

Note. The Tiger 1 Tank of this thread is not an IR Tank. It is a special model with bright gun flash from the barrel. It is being modified using Heng Long 2.4G IR battle tank Receiver board from a Heng Long 1/30 scale Tank. I like this HL circuit board because it ia small and easy to add to most any size tank from 1/35 scale up to 1/24 scale depending on the motors used. It is designed for 130 motors but can power bigger motors if the amp draw is 2 amps (peak) or less per motor. The Vs Tank of this thread has larger motors but they are designed to run off a higher voltage so with a 1 cell lipo they are within the current limit of the driver chips on the HL circuit board.
Attachments
in this picture you can see the chip\connector upgrade that adds main gun elevation.
in this picture you can see the chip\connector upgrade that adds main gun elevation.
I have 4 of these HL battle tank boards.
I have 4 of these HL battle tank boards.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/24 Tiger 1 Vs Tank 27mhz to Heng Long 2.4g IR Battle T

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
Exceptional electronic gimcrackery, Modler!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good afternoon,
Exceptional electronic gimcrackery, Modler!
regards,
Painless
Oh thank you PW. I am a retired electronics professional and use this hobby to stay in touch with that skill (on a hobby level).
I am close to having the Vs Tiger 1 converted to Heng Long electronics. I will post pictures of my progress asap. Delay in the picture email system as of now.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

A few pictures of the converted Vs Tiger 1 below. I will be doing the same work to the Vs 1/24 Sherman. In real life ww2, the Sherman could have fought the Tiger although that would not usually be a good idea for the Sherman. I think the ratio was 4 to 1 and in some cases multiple Shermans could get the best of the Tiger.

I am also going to restore the gun recoil system of the Tiger and I may also get the brilliant muzzle flash flash system to work as well.

Fot me I will have 2 of my favorite tanks from ww2 in 1\24 scale that can do IR battle :)
Attachments
The turret will have proportional left\right\up\down of the gun and IR emitter and detector for IR battle function.
The turret will have proportional left\right\up\down of the gun and IR emitter and detector for IR battle function.
This part of the Tiger is functional. Now has true proportional throttle for the tracks with neutral turn and a remote controlled sound system with 4 step volume with mute.
This part of the Tiger is functional. Now has true proportional throttle for the tracks with neutral turn and a remote controlled sound system with 4 step volume with mute.
Both of these 1/24 scale Vs tanks will be converted to Heng Long electronics and will be able to IR battle. This Tigere took 8 AA cells. the battery box has been cut away and now runs on 1 800 mah 1s lipo. New radio gear in the yellow tray where the AA batteries used to be.
Both of these 1/24 scale Vs tanks will be converted to Heng Long electronics and will be able to IR battle. This Tigere took 8 AA cells. the battery box has been cut away and now runs on 1 800 mah 1s lipo. New radio gear in the yellow tray where the AA batteries used to be.
IMG_6434.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:clap: Bravo, Modler! Those tanks are in good hands! :clap: Will there be a chance at a video when you have the two battle-ready?
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote::clap: Bravo, Modler! Those tanks are in good hands! :clap: Will there be a chance at a video when you have the two battle-ready?
Certainly. It is taking longer than I thought it would. The Tiger is ready for field testing at this point and once it is working good I will start on the Sherman.

The Heng long circuit board I am using has the capability for main gun independent up\down function on the Tx but a driver chip needs to be added to the circuit board for that to work. I ordered some of these driver chips from ebay and will now upgrade the other 3 circuit boards that I have.

Edit added 6.8.21
Turret upgrades on this Tiger 1....
Main gun has independent up\down, left\right features both with proportional speed control.
Heng long I\R battle system added with IR emitter\detector. Machine gun LED.
Future work on turret will include, Muzzle flash, Main gun recoil, life counter\scoring LED display (4 LED array).

The Vs Tiger 1 tank came with a "brilliant muzzle flash kit" and main gun recoil but to implement these features will take a bit of electronic interface work to be able to work with the heng long circuit board. I have decided to do this work at a later time as the project is running long now and I want to see some results NOW.
Attachments
Machine gun LED added to the right side gun mantle, installed this one for now but think it is too big. IR emitter (left) turret mantle. IR receiver at top of turret right hatch. Those three items comprise the "IR battle system"
Machine gun LED added to the right side gun mantle, installed this one for now but think it is too big. IR emitter (left) turret mantle. IR receiver at top of turret right hatch. Those three items comprise the "IR battle system"
IMG_6480.JPG (96.67 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
IR receiver added.
IR receiver added.
IMG_6479.JPG (79.67 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
IMG_6478.JPG
IMG_6478.JPG (62.06 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

The Vs tank conversion is complete. This is now a Vs tank with Henglong IR battle system with proportional on every channel.

In the near future, will get the main gun recoil to work with muzzle flash.
Next I will convert the Vs Sherman so it can battle the Vs\HL Tiger.

short video https://youtu.be/l-eaFpPGLEs
Attachments
Vs Tiger with Henglong Transmitter.
Vs Tiger with Henglong Transmitter.
IMG_6583.JPG (89.45 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
Tucker427
Private

Post by Tucker427 »

Great to see someone modding the 1/24 Vstanks! I give up trying to find metal tracks for my VS tiger 1, so I swapped out the gear boxes, sprockets and tracks with ones from a 1/16 T-55 hooben tank. It will be my FPV garden basher.
My custom King Tiger build: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31936
adaman70
Recruit

Post by adaman70 »

Dear Modler,
See your post of this conversion is so impressive, I also want to do my own 1/24 VStank tiger too, can u share the gun elevation mod what electronic component part of the 1/30 HengLong RC board needed to add and solder from the picture? what is it and can I buy from web? Thanks much!

Adaman

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”