Tiger Vs Sherman IR battle Tanks 1/24 HL electronics conversion

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Re: 1/24 Tiger 1 Vs Tank 27mhz to Heng Long 2.4g IR Battle T

Post by Shagnifico »

I miss VS tanks. Those little gems were indestructible.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

adaman70 wrote:Dear Modler,
See your post of this conversion is so impressive, I also want to do my own 1/24 VStank tiger too, can u share the gun elevation mod what electronic component part of the 1/30 HengLong RC board needed to add and solder from the picture? what is it and can I buy from web? Thanks much!

Adaman
Greetings from Cleveland Ohio, Sorry for the long absence as I had a lot of work to do on a house that I rehabbed after a renter trashed it :'( Anyway, I recently got more work done to the VS Tiger 1 and VS Sherman M4A3. They can now battle each other 8) ! Just one more detail needs done on both of the VS tanks to be done. Everything thing else works very good on both tanks. The issue is the "Main Gun recoil". There is no output to drive the recoil motor on the Hen long circuit board to drive it. I am working on a work around circuit as a mod to the HL circuit board. The output needed would be a LED light that illuminate when main gun is fired, for some reason this output is not available on the HL board that I am using. To solve this problem I need to add a simple circuit mod that works off the IR LED that is used in the battle system section of the circuit board.
Attachments
white TX to Black TX (VS-HL)
white TX to Black TX (VS-HL)
IMG_7892.jpg (55.79 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
IMG_7880.JPG
IMG_7880.JPG (64.92 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Last edited by modler on Sun May 01, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

adaman70 wrote:Dear Modler,
See your post of this conversion is so impressive, I also want to do my own 1/24 VStank tiger too, can u share the gun elevation mod what electronic component part of the 1/30 HengLong RC board needed to add and solder from the picture? what is it and can I buy from web? Thanks much!

Adaman
I got the part from ebay. the driver chips are all the same on this circuit board. The chip that drives the elevation motor is missing on this version (1/30) tank. The 1/24 version has the chip or you can order the chips from ebay or others and install yourself. Precision soldering skills and eqipment and good vision are required to perform this mod. I will try to find the vender and report back here asap.
Attachments
HL circuit board being revised to operate recoil gun on VS tanks.
HL circuit board being revised to operate recoil gun on VS tanks.
Work station for electronic work
Work station for electronic work
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Greetings from Lakewood Ohio USA everyone. I have solved the VS Tank recoil mod with a 4 Transistor circuit. It looks at the IR output LED and converters (demodulates) the IR output pulses to a single pulse which works along side the IR pulses to run the recoil motor.

I will do a video asap. It is not as bad as it sounds and is like adding a small electronic module to the HL circuit board that adds "main gun recoil" This is the same as a LED output when the main gun is used.

So the VS Tiger is converted now to HL battle tank with main gun recoil along with all the other features of the HL battle system.

One thing left to do on the VS Tiger is to add a Battle damage indicator or Battle hits indicator which consists of 4 LEDS.

The VS Sherman has the battle damage indicator added and needs the main gun recoil mod. So still some work to go to finish but the Tanks can IR battle now as equipped.
Attachments
Tiger IR receiver. The battle indicator will be added to this location as well.
Tiger IR receiver. The battle indicator will be added to this location as well.
IMG_7911.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Found the Tiger Commander so now both VS tanks have thier 1/24 scale commanders on board.
Found the Tiger Commander so now both VS tanks have thier 1/24 scale commanders on board.
IMG_7909.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Battle indicator is under the hatch and can be hidden from view for static display.
Battle indicator is under the hatch and can be hidden from view for static display.
IMG_7908.JPG (86.67 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Number of hits indicator
Number of hits indicator
IMG_7907.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
IR Battle ready
IR Battle ready
IMG_7906.JPG (71.66 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:11 pm :clap: Bravo, Modler! Those tanks are in good hands! :clap: Will there be a chance at a video when you have the two battle-ready?
Yes Herr Doctor.

It's hard to have a battle with yourself as you must command both tanks at the same time. That is why I may develop an "autonomous IR battle tank" as the opponent :O

Short video showing the defeat of the Sherman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpHK-JRb500

Short video of the Tiger out of ammo but moves forward to stop the Sherman
https://youtu.be/1xqe_eiXddQ
All of these are 1/24 HL compatible Battle Tanks
All of these are 1/24 HL compatible Battle Tanks
IMG_9860.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 753 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 1/24 Tiger 1 Vs Tank 27mhz to Heng Long 2.4g IR Battle Tank

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

That might be the only time a single M4 put a PzKW V out of action. :haha:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:47 pm That might be the only time a single M4 put a PzKW V out of action. :haha:
Well Herr Doctor, I think I know of another time this happened, in the movie FURY 8)
M4 maneuvers against the Tiger 1 to get a rear shot in defeating the PzKW 4!
M4 maneuvers against the Tiger 1 to get a rear shot in defeating the PzKW 4!
IMG_9892.JPG (119.2 KiB) Viewed 726 times
With my two Tanks in this thread, I could simulate this Sherman\Tiger battle in the movie FURY if I have a skilled commander of the Tiger, and a good video cam operator ;)
Last edited by modler on Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:47 pm That might be the only time a single M4 put a PzKW V out of action. :haha:
Well, I think it also happened in the movie FURY :O
Great Tiger vs Sherman battle in this movie!
Great Tiger vs Sherman battle in this movie!
IMG_9892.JPG (119.2 KiB) Viewed 630 times

Here is the battle scene from the movie FURY
https://youtu.be/0Xc4ckTTQN0
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tiger Vs Sherman IR battle Tanks 1/24 HL electronics conversion

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Nope: not "a single M4 put a PzKW V out of action": Fury had others to help, mostly by keeping the Tiger busy while "our hero" led his tank driver around to the rear of the Tiger and held his gunner in check. Then again, later in the movie, with only the .50 cal., "our hero" holds off Germans with Panzerschreck weapons. :/ :lolno:

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”