Tamiya 1971 1/35 Panzer II F/G >RRC video coming soon

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Tamiya 1971 1/35 Panzer II F/G >RRC video coming soon

Post by modler »

Here is the latest video of the Panzer II with Hobby Grade radio gear
https://youtu.be/Y7isRoZk3EE

Youtube video with a simple R\C system
https://youtu.be/xZ8uNZfJKLQ

I got this Vintage 1971 Panzer II model from ebay in shrink wrap for $20 shipped! What a bargain. Not so fast, I also used a NOS M10 kit to supply the rare narrow gearbox for this build.

So to build this you need:
1 Panzer II kit
1 M10 Motorized Remote Control kit (or equivalent). There are only a few kits that have this narrow dual motor gearbox.
Micro radio gear, connectors, battery. correct motors with appropriate impedance for radio system selected. $$$ :crazy:

This was the most challenging one yet to make dual motor radio remote control. The model has a motorized version (single motor) and this one has the hull that will accept that gearbox although I have never seen one with the gearbox. It must be very small to fit the small chassis of the PKW II.

The track system is a non live track system with a single sprocket center track drive. It is unique in my collection. This is an early WWII tank and is very small but very cool.

I just got it running and it has impressive obstacle ability. I will try to get a video of it asap.

I used a NOS Tamiya metal gearbox from Motorized Remote Control M10 Tank Destroyer kit. It fit the Panzer II with some minor modification. Picture of that kit below.

I also have 1 more of those M10 tanks in a shrink wrapped box. Sadly I will be opening it up just to get another one of those narrow gearbox for a another build.
Attachments
This M10 Kit has the rare "narrow width gearbox" which works in the Panzer II.
This M10 Kit has the rare "narrow width gearbox" which works in the Panzer II.
IMG_6037.jpg
Very tight fit height wise. Width is not a problem with this narrow M10 gearbox.
Very tight fit height wise. Width is not a problem with this narrow M10 gearbox.
Very small 27mhz 2 channel radio works great for now but does not have proportional control but rather on\off one speed type control.
Very small 27mhz 2 channel radio works great for now but does not have proportional control but rather on\off one speed type control.
Had to cut out a panel to lower the height of the gearbox. it is that tight of a fit. I am sure this model never came with a dual motor gearbox. Actually it is impressive that is has provisions for a single motor setup although I never saw a motorized version for sale.
Had to cut out a panel to lower the height of the gearbox. it is that tight of a fit. I am sure this model never came with a dual motor gearbox. Actually it is impressive that is has provisions for a single motor setup although I never saw a motorized version for sale.
IMG_6033.JPG (67.11 KiB) Viewed 18211 times
2 cell nicad 60mah (3v) battery keeps things lite weight.
2 cell nicad 60mah (3v) battery keeps things lite weight.
IMG_6031.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 18211 times
The axle from the gear box coming through the drive sprocket makes for a very stable drive sprocket with no wobble. I will trim it back a little as it sticks out a little more than I would like.
The axle from the gear box coming through the drive sprocket makes for a very stable drive sprocket with no wobble. I will trim it back a little as it sticks out a little more than I would like.
IMG_6030.JPG (89.74 KiB) Viewed 18211 times
IMG_6029.JPG
About the same size as a M113 APC. The APC is featured here in another thread. It uses the SAME GEARBOX AS THE PANZER II.
About the same size as a M113 APC. The APC is featured here in another thread. It uses the SAME GEARBOX AS THE PANZER II.
IMG_6025.JPG (74.69 KiB) Viewed 18211 times
$20.00 from ebay. Was new in a shrink wrap box from 1971! I have one more of these sealed kits on the way for another $20
$20.00 from ebay. Was new in a shrink wrap box from 1971! I have one more of these sealed kits on the way for another $20
Last edited by modler on Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:36 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Melmondt
Recruit

Re: Tamiya 1/35 1971 vintage Panzer Kampf W II Ausf. F/G

Post by Melmondt »

Hey, that's great! The Panzer IIs are very rare anyway, also in 1/16, so it's cool you even found one with RC capabilities.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Modler,

That's quite the find for $20! Just proves that sometimes rare gems can be found on Ebay!

Nice job! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Whoa Ho, Nellie! That's cool! 8) And only 20 bucks (not counting the cost of the TX, RX, etc. ...and, what, talent and 50 years of practice). I will be eager for a video.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Melmondt wrote:Hey, that's great! The Panzer IIs are very rare anyway, also in 1/16, so it's cool you even found one with RC capabilities.
These early Panzers are fascinating to me. They are so small compared to what came later. I posted a few pictures to show the scale of the size difference B|

Model still needs final assembly and decals. I will get to that as soon as I can stop building more lol :crazy:
Attachments
IMG_6045.JPG
IMG_6045.JPG (80.04 KiB) Viewed 18142 times
IMG_6044.JPG
IMG_6044.JPG (71.3 KiB) Viewed 18142 times
IMG_6043.JPG
IMG_6043.JPG (66.83 KiB) Viewed 18142 times
Tiger I VS Panzer II
Tiger I VS Panzer II
IMG_6042.JPG (79.27 KiB) Viewed 18142 times
King Tiger VS Panzer II in size. both 1/35 scale, I know crazy right? Can you say escalation in size lol?
King Tiger VS Panzer II in size. both 1/35 scale, I know crazy right? Can you say escalation in size lol?
IMG_6041.JPG (98.92 KiB) Viewed 18142 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

EAO wrote:Modler,

That's quite the find for $20! Just proves that sometimes rare gems can be found on Ebay!

Nice job! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
Yes there are a few left, I would grab one now as these will not last. The Tank model was a little problematic with the respect to the road wheels as the inner wheel locks tend to split a crack which causes the wheel to fall off. I uses a special german glue (POR) to secure the roads wheels to the axles allowing them to spin freely and yet stay on the axle. . Other than that it is a decent radio control capable model.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Whoa Ho, Nellie! That's cool! 8) And only 20 bucks (not counting the cost of the TX, RX, etc. ...and, what, talent and 50 years of practice). I will be eager for a video.
Well, I have been building models for 54+ years but only started experimenting with radio control scale models in 1978, 43 years 8O

Anyway, here is a short youtube model of the Panzer II climbing my "test obstacle"

https://youtu.be/xZ8uNZfJKLQ
Attachments
Panzer II shown here with a 1/35 Centurion. Looks to be under gunned lol
Panzer II shown here with a 1/35 Centurion. Looks to be under gunned lol
IMG_6067.jpg (48.69 KiB) Viewed 18111 times
1/35 Panzer II climbs with the best of them maybe even the best so far.
1/35 Panzer II climbs with the best of them maybe even the best so far.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya 1971 1/35 Panzer II F/G >RRC now with video

...actually, two test obstacles: one laptop and one hilltop! What fun!
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:...actually, two test obstacles: one laptop and one hilltop! What fun!

Yes the laptop is actually very difficult to get over for most of my 1/35 tanks. Panzer II gets up and over pretty easily. On the next obstacle, The Tank's tracks need to bite in to make it to the top. It is also very narrow so requires good track steering control to stay on the path otherwise off the side and a crash with possible damage to the tank.

The radio used in this Panzer II is a small and very simple full on\off 2 channel low voltage system (3v) and its output is balanced for 3v motors. I usually start with a simple system like this and as time goes by, and the tanks has proven track performance, I will go to a better fully proportional radio control system

Radio update:
Next I will be installing a new micro DSM2 radio system, This radio is from a UM CCP Heli and will have some interesting features like cruise control and very precise low speed control. I am experimenting with it now in another tank and once I have the TX programming perfected, I will install it in this Panzer II.
Attachments
Initial testing and TX Programming being done in this 1/35 scale M60 hull and so far looks very promising .
Initial testing and TX Programming being done in this 1/35 scale M60 hull and so far looks very promising .
DSM2 CCP Heli RX with 2 micro ESC's (Das Micro) being evaluated for use in remote controlled Tanks.
DSM2 CCP Heli RX with 2 micro ESC's (Das Micro) being evaluated for use in remote controlled Tanks.
Last edited by modler on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Is this 6the kind of system you mean: DX7 DSM2 7-Channel Microlite Radio w/3-S285. Would the receiver be able to handle the 7.2/7.4 volt power used in 1/16 tanks. I ask because someone here might be looking for a way to fit a tiny receiver to save space.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”