Tamiya 1971 1/35 Panzer II F/G >RRC video coming soon

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Re: Tamiya 1971 1/35 Panzer II F/G >RRC now with video

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Is this 6the kind of system you mean: DX7 DSM2 7-Channel Microlite Radio w/3-S285. Would the receiver be able to handle the 7.2/7.4 volt power used in 1/16 tanks. I ask because someone here might be looking for a way to fit a tiny receiver to save space.

see this reply for updated answer to your question.

viewtopic.php?p=348726#p348726
Last edited by modler on Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thank you... I am a retired professor with a background in the history of rhetorical theory. That 's a long way from electircal design, but give me seven hours and I'll explain how it's useful :yawn: . I hope there is interest, for I can still observe, and I pick off ideas here and there. I can see need for tiny electronics in small 1/16 Allied and Axis wheeled vehicles (why don't we have an RC Jeep to go with the Schwimmwagen? :-< ) as well as 1/16 AFVs that are a bit crowded (e.g. curiously, the Russian KVs).
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thank you... I am a retired professor with a background in the history of rhetorical theory. That 's a long way from electircal design, but give me seven hours and I'll explain how it's useful :yawn: . I hope there is interest, for I can still observe, and I pick off ideas here and there. I can see need for tiny electronics in small 1/16 Allied and Axis wheeled vehicles (why don't we have an RC Jeep to go with the Schwimmwagen? :-< ) as well as 1/16 AFVs that are a bit crowded (e.g. curiously, the Russian KVs).
Oh yes Herr DR, I am fascinated with all types of mechanized model electronics. I just recently came upon "Das micro" products on ebay. They have some tiny electronics available, unfortunately, all their micro products require precision soldering skills as they are not wired from the factory. In the M60 chassis, the electronics shown have all been hand wired with 1.5mm male\female connectors using a connector I\O protocol that allows a "mix and match, plug and play, serial link" strategy that allows electronic subassemblies to be connected in series or "daisy chained" for specific motor control options and the like. Yes I have spent a lot of time with this strategy and have some impressive model motor drive control electronics tech in my models. I attempt to share it with others of like interest but as you can guess it takes a lot of time to explain and type out and present in an intelligible fashion B|

As my communication skills at sites like this progress, I will try to present ideas here as best as possible.
Long ago I was assigned a job to design a robust wheelchair control drive system using basic electronic components and have been fascinated with DC motor drive electronics since that time (1987).

The CCP Heli circuit board shown in the M60 was not modified other than adding a couple of 1.5 mm connectors. It could be reinstalled in the Blade Heli if needed. To access the two channels for the M60 required a connector converter that consists of two different connectors soldered together that comprise a connector that can be used with the I\O protocol wired "Das micro" ESC x2.
Attachments
I use this inexpensive but excellent soldering tool. I got this one from ebay for about $75 or so. It is very similar to the one I used @ IBM back in the 80.s,
I use this inexpensive but excellent soldering tool. I got this one from ebay for about $75 or so. It is very similar to the one I used @ IBM back in the 80.s,
IMG_6088 (1).jpg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 26877 times
The circuit board in this Heli has a AS3X function that allows for a interesting Tank drive control that includes, Arm\disarm both motors and a precision cruise control in both directions with precision low speed motor control with high response\power output that can be fine tuned for exact speed requirements like emulating scale speed in either direction and more.
The circuit board in this Heli has a AS3X function that allows for a interesting Tank drive control that includes, Arm\disarm both motors and a precision cruise control in both directions with precision low speed motor control with high response\power output that can be fine tuned for exact speed requirements like emulating scale speed in either direction and more.
Blade Ultra Micro CCP Heli has an excellent 2.4 ghz micro high power circuit board that runs off a 1s lipo that is ideal for small mechanized models.
Blade Ultra Micro CCP Heli has an excellent 2.4 ghz micro high power circuit board that runs off a 1s lipo that is ideal for small mechanized models.
Last edited by modler on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I am but a greenhorn. I learned to solder in the 'sixties with a big soldering iron my father had from his apprenticeship after WWII as a "tinner" (sheet metal, HVAC). He came to build a big HVAC company, but died young. Since I was chasing an academic career, living in tiny apartments all around the US (including Kent, with which you are likely familiar), a friend got all the tools. So when I retired, I made my friend show me how to solder with a soldering gun and pencil.

Oh, yes, the relevant part (I told you I was a retired professor :yawn: ): do you have a resistance solderer? Isn't there one of those jobs that, I think, uses fast vibration? And thanks for your work on the chair controls: these sorts of things helped many of our students at UW-Whitewater get around campus quite handily.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

"Tinning" wires, soldering iron tips and or components before connecting to any other components\circuit boards is a critical soldering skill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PWmMxjXwYE

The soldering iron shown here has multiple tips that can be quickly changed. It also has variable temperature control for precise heat control of the tip. It also has a "sleep function" that puts it in a low temp standby mode if not used for a while, this keeps the tips from burning out to soon.

The one shown below has seen a lot of use and works flawlessly every time. This or a similar soldering tool is required for micro soldering.

Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II video https://youtu.be/xZ8uNZfJKLQ
Attachments
A most excellent inexpensive soldering tool.
A most excellent inexpensive soldering tool.
IMG_6088 (1).jpg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 26876 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

modler wrote:
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:...actually, two test obstacles: one laptop and one hilltop! What fun!

Yes the laptop is actually very difficult to get over for most of my 1/35 tanks. Panzer II gets up and over pretty easily. On the next obstacle, The Tank's tracks need to bite in to make it to the top. It is also very narrow so requires good track steering control to stay on the path otherwise off the side and a crash with possible damage to the tank.

The radio used in this Panzer II is a small and very simple full on\off 2 channel low voltage system (3v) and its output is balanced for 3v motors. I usually start with a simple system like this and as time goes by, and the tanks has proven track performance, I will go to a better fully proportional radio control system

Radio update:
Next I will be installing a new micro DSM2 radio system, This radio is from a UM CCP Heli and will have some interesting features like cruise control and very precise low speed control. I am experimenting with it now in another tank and once I have the TX programming perfected, I will install it in this Panzer II.

Ok I finally got the TX programming figured out and have installed the DSM2 CCP Heli receiver in the Panzer II. It is a tight fit as the PANZER II has very little room for radio gear as well as a battery. This is the tightest tank bay yet that I have worked with.

The new radio setup is the best yet and has some very interesting features.
1. Realistic low speed (scale) proportional operation with programmable throttle decay. This feature is what is lacking in current throttle tech.
2. Gyro stabilization of throttle regulates torque based on load variations (up and down hills) maintains a speed envelope constant.
3. Hands off throttle down slope can be programmed for a few seconds to a few minutes and even a constant "speed control mode" so that tank can move forward or backward hards off at a speed setpoint until throttle stop is activated of decay time is reached.
4. Smooth ramp up\down control of throttle.

I will post pictures and a video asap.
Attachments
all metal gearbox with upgraded brass pinion gears.
all metal gearbox with upgraded brass pinion gears.
inside view
inside view
180 mah 1s lipo. The Heli receiver has a lipo LVC (low voltage cut) so no worries about lipo damage from over discharge.
180 mah 1s lipo. The Heli receiver has a lipo LVC (low voltage cut) so no worries about lipo damage from over discharge.
IMG_7162.JPG (92.14 KiB) Viewed 26286 times
lipo connection for power up. Have not figured out a good on\off switch yet.
lipo connection for power up. Have not figured out a good on\off switch yet.
IMG_7160.JPG (75.74 KiB) Viewed 26286 times
DSM2 Heli antenna is a clue that this is no ordinary radio setup.
DSM2 Heli antenna is a clue that this is no ordinary radio setup.
IMG_7158.JPG (77.38 KiB) Viewed 26286 times
Smallest 1/35 Tank in my collection.
Smallest 1/35 Tank in my collection.
IMG_7156.JPG (82.76 KiB) Viewed 26286 times
IMG_7155.JPG
Panzer II, Panzer IV, King Tiger.
Panzer II, Panzer IV, King Tiger.
King Tiger 1944 shown with the Paner II 1932
King Tiger 1944 shown with the Paner II 1932
Last edited by modler on Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Continued with more info and pictures of Ultra Micro radio setup.
Attachments
adapter connectors added to receiver to allow twin ESC's to be added.
adapter connectors added to receiver to allow twin ESC's to be added.
Heli tank!
Heli tank!
IMG_7181.JPG (99.57 KiB) Viewed 26284 times
Das micro 1s ESC twin pack upgrade for tank operation.
Das micro 1s ESC twin pack upgrade for tank operation.
IMG_7175.JPG (96.05 KiB) Viewed 26284 times
close up of UM AS3X CCP heli receiver with two externally added ESC's
close up of UM AS3X CCP heli receiver with two externally added ESC's
6 channel gyro stabilised elevator, aileron,pitch, rudder channels.
6 channel gyro stabilised elevator, aileron,pitch, rudder channels.
IMG_7170 (1).JPG (95.29 KiB) Viewed 26284 times
disconnect 2 motor drive connectors and radio gear is ready to remove.
disconnect 2 motor drive connectors and radio gear is ready to remove.
room for 180 mah 1s lipo.
room for 180 mah 1s lipo.
IMG_7167 (1).JPG
Oh look, there is even room for a small lipo.
Oh look, there is even room for a small lipo.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you for putting the penny in the photos. I kept squinting and blinking, wondering, Am I seeing this right? Are these really that small? I have to wear seven-power glasses to do any modeling nowadays; you must have built-in magnifier eyeballs! Videos will be a hoot to see (if I can see them :) ).
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Is this 6the kind of system you mean: DX7 DSM2 7-Channel Microlite Radio w/3-S285. Would the receiver be able to handle the 7.2/7.4 volt power used in 1/16 tanks. I ask because someone here might be looking for a way to fit a tiny receiver to save space.
After thinking about it I can say YES this very small UM DSM2 Heli radio can be used for larger tanks simply by adding larger speed controls and running the Heli receiver off one of the 5 v bec's on the appropriate speed control. Adding a voltage dropping diode would be used to bring that 5 volts down to ~4.3v for the Heli receiver just to keep the receiver in voltage specification. I may build one just to prove the theory. Well, I know it will work because I have done it in aircraft models. 8)

Here is a short video of the Panzer II with the old radio setup. I will do a new video with the new Heli radio setup ASAP.
https://youtu.be/xZ8uNZfJKLQ
Attachments
Panzer II with Panzer IV, King Tiger.
Panzer II with Panzer IV, King Tiger.
Both of these Cox models have a similar 1s UM radio installed with a voltage dropping diode that allows them to run off a 2s lipo. Both planes here run off brushless motors and draw ~ 5-7 amps under full power. That is probably similar power requirements of a 1/16 scale tank.
Both of these Cox models have a similar 1s UM radio installed with a voltage dropping diode that allows them to run off a 2s lipo. Both planes here run off brushless motors and draw ~ 5-7 amps under full power. That is probably similar power requirements of a 1/16 scale tank.
IMG_7200.JPG (78.39 KiB) Viewed 26233 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:34 pm Is this 6the kind of system you mean: DX7 DSM2 7-Channel Microlite Radio w/3-S285. Would the receiver be able to handle the 7.2/7.4 volt power used in 1/16 tanks. I ask because someone here might be looking for a way to fit a tiny receiver to save space.
Yes it would providing the receiver was powered by a ESC BEC. The motor output would be handled by a set of ESC's. Then the receiver runs of the ESC BEC (battery elimination circuit) voltage typically ~5V.

This is typically how model aircraft receivers are powered.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”