I am so fortunate!

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I am so fortunate!

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have been rather quiet since joining this list. I kept waiting to get good photos of some of my not-so-handiwork. However, today I was enjoying the humor in Les's introduction. Suddenly I realized that I may be among the worst of the addicts. But models and toy replicas have been a part of my 67 years since, well, this time:
Attachments
KiddieCar.jpg
KiddieCar.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: I am so fortunate!

I built models (poorly) as a youngster, and (somewhat less poorly) as a teenager and in my early twenties. I have collected farm toys for over forty years, and I write a monthly review article. I started O Gauge (1/48) railroading in 2000. In 2009, I sold all the farm toys and gave US $30,000 to charity, one of the happiest bits of good fortune I have had in my life. But that same year, I stumbled across a Taigen Tiger I. Now there were trains and tanks. But soon farm toys started to sneak in the house again. In 2011, on retiring, I started building models again: 1/32 tanks, 1/48 airplanes. I also started modestly finishing 1/16 RC AFVs (i.e. some repaints, repairs, very simple electronics swap outs). These hobbies helped me get through my wife's 13-year decline and death due to Alzheimer's. disease. Here are a few examples of the excess to which I have succumbed. These pictures all come from today, inside my home upstairs and basement. This excess is possible because I have no debts, live rather modestly on a modest income, but forego such uselessness as, say, new underwear :lolno:

Here is the tank shelf in the living room:
Attachments
LR Tank Shelf.jpg
LR Tank Shelf.jpg (67.17 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Underwear is overrated ;D

Nice little collection. We have to treat ourselves every now and then!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Here are a few photos of the "excess" which I either rotate out of storage or have not yet messed with except to make sure they work well bone stock:
1 Excess.jpg
2 Excess.jpg
3 Excess.jpg
3 Excess.jpg (95.37 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
4 Excess.jpg
5 Excess.jpg
5 Excess.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Looks like a hobby shop. Nice supply.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ahhhh...seeing your excess, Prof., makes me feel slightly less concerned about my own. :lolno: I still have a few rooms (Toilets x2, Bathroom. Kitchen) where there's no discernible armour presence...
yet!

Sorry to learn about your poor wife. :thumbdown: Alzheimer's has to be the cruellest illness.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

At least they are well labeled... :) I'm feeling like I'm heading in the same direction as far as collection goes. I have so many projects started that I told myself that I can't work on any other ones until my SU-152 is done. So far it's working...well until the MRAPs came, but then I put myself back on track. :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
The Fool
Recruit

Post by The Fool »

When I started reading, I had only gotten to your first photo, and I was thinking, '"You're being a little dramatic calling 4 tanks on a shelf excess" Then I got to the other photos, now you can officially consider me jealous! Significantly less jealous of the situation with your wife, though, I got an Aunt that's going through the decline Alzheimer's brings about, and that's rough enough, I couldn't imagine seeing that happen to someone as close as ones Wife, and for as long as 13 years. So sorry to hear you had to. Sad stuff aside, looks like you'll never not have something to do! I'm sure these served you well during the lockdown.
I gotta Henglong Panzer lll Ausf L, she real purty.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Herr Professor,

All I can say is wow! :crazy: That will definitely keep you busy through that long, long, long, cold, Wisconsin Winter! My parent's said it's already started up there with a bit of snow. Loved Wisconsin, just not the Winters, I think that started when I quit drinking alcohol! Glad I live where the Winter's are so much shorter and more tolerable.

At any rate, it looks like you'll never get bored! Nice amassing of kit! :thumbup:

Regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

WTF! :wtf: :O Oops, I have no idea how that happened?! Just ignore me, nothing going on, brains not on caffeine yet this morning! Carry on, as you were. :S

Dumb again,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Show Off”