1942 Panzer IV 'F' Into The Blue

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1942 Panzer IV 'F' Into The Blue

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!
One of the simplest details to add turned out to be one of the most talked about features of the tank. ;o) I am just glad that 'Freda' was liked by my Peers and Friends. ( Well, also glad that everything works as intended. ) Is it me or are those Taigen recoil mechanisms getting more temperamental as the years go by? The one that I shoehorned into the Stug III Ausf B never gave me anything like the adjustment niggles that this one required. Looking forward to the outdoor run and video. Thanks again for coming by to see the finished!? vehicle.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Carl!
One of the simplest details to add turned out to be one of the most talked about features of the tank. ;o) I am just glad that 'Freda' was liked by my Peers and Friends. ( Well, also glad that everything works as intended. ) Is it me or are those Taigen recoil mechanisms getting more temperamental as the years go by? The one that I shoehorned into the Stug III Ausf B never gave me anything like the adjustment niggles that this one required. Looking forward to the outdoor run and video. Thanks again for coming by to see the finished!? vehicle.
regards,
Painless
"....Finished!?" :D Very subtle, Painless. :thumbup:

As a footnote to your worthy build,
I'm waiting to see how the HL alloy servo recoil unit and StuG 3 elevation unit combination works out on my Comet project. It would fit quite well in a Pz IV, Pz111, and even a KV-1, I think.
Do bear it in mind for future ventures.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Roy!
I will keep an eye out for it and for your appraisal of the unit once you have it in hand.
regards and thank you again!
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

So! Good afternoon all. *much cursing, inventive and loud*....ahem...so I spent yesterday afternoon replacing the turret 360 wiring loom in 'Freda'. Perfect functionality for 4 shots....then the motor that cranks the recoil flywheel seized up...................Well, I can order another recoil 'box' from Taigen or go another direction...Sheesh.....All I want to do is get the repairs done on the PzIV do I can start on the Jagdtiger.
Regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening all!
This is an excerpt from a missive with the Forum's own Forgebear. Dave was helping out with the stuck recoil mechanism on the Panzer IV. I had replied, " I had an idea what it was ( a spacer for the main cog that I had made of Gorilla Tape and I was right ) My cheap as chips fix caused another issue. So I disassembled the turret again and sat down to *really* look at the recoil mechanism. Getting out some real tools I stamped a proper spacer for the main recoil flywheel out of hard plastic. Then I found a tiny, tiny washer in Tamiya spares to lift the cog that engages the worm gear from the right hand motor so that it would engage the flywheel properly. An application of high temp caliper grease to all moving parts and a reassembly was followed by some hushed breath testing. The mechanism worked perfectly fine for every shot tried ( enough to start to wear down the battery ) More importantly, it worked just as well after I reassembled the turret and put the tank back together. Taigen could do this sort of fix simply in the factory by casting a 1/16 thicker recoil flywheel and adding a single, tiny washer to the cog it meshes with. Oh well, at least I know how to fix those recoil mechanisms long term now. "
So the Panzer IV is all ready for some more fun now. Whew! On to the Jagdtiger.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Oh Painless I laughed and I laughed at your succinct identification of the very root of what we laughingly call a hobby,
This Forum was not born because Tamiya needed a fan club, no, we are here because we aspired to ownership of 1 or more of Tamiya's wonders but could only afford Heng Longs ****,
What I fear is that Tamiya will leave the 1/16 r/c Armour market because while yes they are expensive they are a benchmark and we do need that which means we as hobbyists are constantly reinventing the wheel because the cheap skates at Heng Long/Taigen/Torro employ children with crayons instead of a proper research and development department,
More strength to you Painless :thumbup:
I imagine your swearbox is near to overflowing :haha: :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon, my Friend,
While I have a lot of satisfaction, looking at the Panzer here on my desk and knowing that it performs correctly....it would also be nice to have had the turret recoil function correctly at 100% without me having to go full on Naked Engineer on it. At least, knowledge was gained that will serve me usefully in the future, ( new and exciting swear words, etc. ;0) * Goes back to reading his Jagdtiger research...( the recoil on that performs as it should so I will adhere to the old adage of 'don't fix what isn't broken' )*
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Show Off”