Life after rc tanks...

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Life after rc tanks...

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Ad Lav wrote:
Exhibitedbrute wrote:I had the chance to buy one of these a few years back priced at £500, though the bodywork was sound I don’t believe it had the engine or gearbox as the guy was using it as diorama, as a pose to a working vehicle so I never bothered, I don’t believe it would be easy to source what it needed
Should have bought it - spare engines and gearboxes are readily available!
I was at a show somewhere when I saw it so didn’t get the opportunity to do any research, wish I had of done now though
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

jarndice wrote:I have never ridden in a Jeep but I have driven many miles in an Austin Champ the layout of which is not dissimilar except it had fully independent suspension all round and an 8 speed all wheel drive transmission (4 forward and 4 Reverse),
Brilliant in the tropics awful in a Northern European Winter :lolno:
A friend has an Austin Champ, we do take the mickey out of him quite a lot, but it’s ahead of its time compared to an M38A1 for example :)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Unit had one of the last in service Champs in the yard awaiting disposal,
It was on BLR Tyres so it was just gathering dust, beside it also waiting to go off for sale was a 38 tonne Faun Aircraft Refueller,
The RAF sent a Queen Mary Trailer for the Faun but it was impossible to get it in the yard and the Faun was a non Starter,
Someone said "Why not bump start it with the Champ", We all had a good laugh and then hooked up a towbar to the front bumper of the Faun and the tow hook of the Champ.
2nd gear in the 13 geared straight cut gearbox of the Faun and 1st gear and all wheel drive in the Champ,
Clutch out and the tyres of the Champ disappeared within the rims which as the rear suspension bottomed out started to gouge a ridge in the concrete.
Then a mighty roar from the straight 8 Diesel of the Faun and a lot of black smoke and the thing started, Bug*er we said as it was driven onto the Queen Mary.
We had just taken delivery of a dozen brand new Land Rovers and there was not the slightest chance that any of them could have done the job that a vehicle being sold for scrap had just done.
Outside of the service the Champ is almost unknown but it really was a tough little motor and it was greatly missed by those who had been users of it.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon!
My first Jeep was a 48' Willys left over from Korea. I drove it all through High School and sold it when I moved to Colorado.. I have driven Jeeps and old Lincolns all my Adult life, Wranglers, Grand Cherokees and the lot. Living where we live now, we have two Jeeps to deal with the mountain Winters around here. A Commander and a new Renegade. The Spouse gets the new Jeep for work commutes and I drive the Commander whenever the Dogs need transporting to the Vet or off road activity is in the cards. I think when I retire, I am going to get a refinished old Willys and putt-putt around locally. It will be just like driving around when I was a teen, again. *chuckles* Enjoy your Willys, AdLav! It looks like you have a splendid example there.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Thank you Painless :)

I quite like the new Renegade - they make a good looking car and still keep some of the heritage with the round lights and grill shape today.

I’ll update this thread once more gets done :)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ad Lav: I, too, always appreciated your posts when I saw them on Hobby Havoc. I am glad you will keep us up to date on here your Willys, and I hope you will at least take on one or two AFVs, as sometimes you need to have a break from the heavy metal. :)

I drive a Renegade, just right for my long, steeply uphill driveway and the snowy woodland hills here in southern Wisconsin, US. I chose the cheapo version because I could get the six-speed manual transmission. Now that's gone the way of the boring automatic. :thumbdown: You can probably guess whey the truckers in the US call the Renegade a "Spaghetti Western."

One of the local unofficial Tuesday Make Modeling Mediocre Again modelers is seriously rebuilding a 1950 Jeep for off-roading; new parts are readily available. He even has made a "Minion" character to ride in the back.
Zapper
Private

Post by Zapper »

I thought you may have gone full scale, though I had you figured for a Ferret. So will we see you going round the arena at War and Peace?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Ad Lav: I, too, always appreciated your posts when I saw them on Hobby Havoc. I am glad you will keep us up to date on here your Willys, and I hope you will at least take on one or two AFVs, as sometimes you need to have a break from the heavy metal. :)

I drive a Renegade, just right for my long, steeply uphill driveway and the snowy woodland hills here in southern Wisconsin, US. I chose the cheapo version because I could get the six-speed manual transmission. Now that's gone the way of the boring automatic. :thumbdown: You can probably guess whey the truckers in the US call the Renegade a "Spaghetti Western."

One of the local unofficial Tuesday Make Modeling Mediocre Again modelers is seriously rebuilding a 1950 Jeep for off-roading; new parts are readily available. He even has made a "Minion" character to ride in the back.
Thank you - I do plan to get another rc tank at some point. I’m holding out for a mainstream produced Centurion.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Zapper wrote:I thought you may have gone full scale, though I had you figured for a Ferret. So will we see you going round the arena at War and Peace?
A Ferret? Lol you don’t know me that well then :haha:

Most likely and the pub... ;)
Zapper
Private

Post by Zapper »

Ad Lav wrote:
Zapper wrote:I thought you may have gone full scale, though I had you figured for a Ferret. So will we see you going round the arena at War and Peace?
A Ferret? Lol you don’t know me that well then :haha:

Most likely and the pub... ;)
I thought that the later marks had a turret and I know how you like riding round in a turret so it would be the most affordable way to do so.

Return to “Show Off”