My perhaps over engineered Panther :)

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
tao
Staff Sergeant

My perhaps over engineered Panther :)

Post by tao »

Panther Internals.jpg
It started out as a Taigen tank and one thing lead to another lol.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Re: My perhaps over engineered Panther :)

Post by LordPanzer »

Wow! That's some collection of parts in side.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Nice! There’s a lot of love and dedication in that tank. I really like the labeled photo.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Thanks! I found the TCB Open Panzer board can do even more! Managed to find one to try. Though I am sure the IBU, TK and El Mods are also
great. I do wish though somebody would produce the TCB again!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi, please take it like a positive critic:

Yes, it is way over enginered. You can remove a lot of things.

The RX18, complete useless. You are already using a sabertooth for the motors. If you need more speed controllers for turret rotation you can get some for about 2 euros each, free shipping.
Barc: Useless, you can trigger way more functions with the a propper programable hobby radio than with the barc. That thing is a stick in the wheel.
The benedini mini has 6 fully programable light outputs so it will cover at least 2 machine guns, barrel flash, headlights and convoy light. It can also control the smoke in a proportional way, and dont forget up to 16 user sounds (tank commander shouting, music... I even know a crazy guy who fitted a dog barking on his tank, lol) All of those things using only one channel of your radio.
Volume control: It might be useless too. You can adjust the volume of the mini with your radio. Not familiar with acoustic smokers though.
Voltage step up: One too many. One is enough for both devices.
15 Watt amp: Jesus christ, lol. A tamiya tank has 5W speaker and amp, and that is enough for making everybody's ears bleed. A heng long tank used to be 0,3 W and you can heard it 25m away. The stock benedini mini 1-ish W is pretty loud. What you could do is, if you remove all of those gadgets, fit a bigger speaker box and make a small hole for the bass, so the sound quality will be much better.

Just my opinion and trying to help.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Great to see innovation at work. I agree about the TCB, I did an Arduino 2560 and have it installed in a Tiger, it runs very nicely even doing it the cheapest way possible. There was a guy who had some boards made to plug into the 2560 so that all of the tank plugs simply plugged into it, but I don't know if he ever put them into production.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Rad..great points! Actually I think the amp is maybe 5 watts..just wanted a little more volume than the TBS had..new one I think has higher volume output.
The voltage step up was nice to add more smoke output for TARR and adjustable. The FRS -8 has nice sound..made the box as wide as the tank could fit..
sounds good. AND thanks for the suggestions..it makes sense!
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi Tao, glad to help. I have seen you sent me a private message asking how to improve your model, but I decided to answer here, so more people can read it and learn:

Your message was:
Hey..thanks again for the suggestions. I got a TCB and excited to try it out!
But because there are no more available (at least for now)... without using the BARC
how could I still use the TBS min and radio? Don't I need some other interface/board?

FrSky 2.4G ACCST System Taranis Q X7 16 Channels Transmitter ..getting this for use
with the TCB. (Use a 6 channel spektrum with BARC 4 which allowed a good amount
of functions with that radio)

My answer is:
The taranis radio is very, very good. In fact is one of the radios I recommend to use.
I recommend you to use it also with the benedini and to leave the spektrum appart. With the spektrum I think it is not possible to propper program it to be able to easily trigger the benedini functions.
Nope, you dont need anything between your radio and the benedini mini, hence you can remove those BARC and RX18

Take a look at my website, I wrote three entries about benedini products, including a tutorial. But basically what you have to do is to program one channel of the taranis radio splitted in 16 steps, and with it, to teach your benedini mini. Then, with the benedini connected to the computer, fit the sounds and select if you want any light function (and in which pin) paired with those sounds.

I am planning to do a decent video of benedini in action, but so far I only have this online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pTyh0J7Qk Each sound is trigged individually by a switch in the radio.

But I guess if you take a long read at the benedini manuals and at my tutorial, you should be able to have it working.

I do use those boards in some rc vehicles with the benedinis as stand alone units. Just a cheap ESC for the motor and servo for steering, but that is all. In the MG nest is just the board, a receiver, a speaker and the led that brights.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

That is fantastic! Thank you..
I will for sure look at the videos..a tutorial on exactly how to do all of this with the TBS and Radio would be amazing!
All of this.. when you (I) start is complex.. but looking forward to doing exactly what you mentioned.

What is a good ESC for the turret motor?..until I get new radio and start that adventure..I figured I could try
using it for the turret on my current set up.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tao wrote:That is fantastic! Thank you..
I will for sure look at the videos..a tutorial on exactly how to do all of this with the TBS and Radio would be amazing!
All of this.. when you (I) start is complex.. but looking forward to doing exactly what you mentioned.

What is a good ESC for the turret motor?..until I get new radio and start that adventure..I figured I could try
using it for the turret on my current set up.
I am with the phone now and cant post links but if you check in aliexpress for a 10A esc you will find some red ESCs, stamp size, for about 3 euros free shipping. That works very good.

Return to “Show Off”