Scale 1/35 Tamiya Tanks to IR Battle system 2.4 ghz RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Scale 1/35 Tamiya Tanks to IR Battle system 2.4 ghz RRC

Post by modler »

This is a first for me, converting a Scale 1/35 model Tank to Infrared Battle Tank (IR) Radio Remote Control. This system involves a infrared battle circuit with radio remote control for the tracks, turret, fire, sound system. I bought the donor battle Tanks on ebay for about $20. To move the electronics over to another tank involves adding connectors and a turret drive system. The turret drive took the most time.

The circuit board used has a "demo mode" that activates if no commands are given at power up. I am trying to find the IR Tank that has a "autonomous mode" feature.

Here is a short video of the tank with rotating turret and flashing Led that is in time with the cannon and machine gun sounds.

https://youtu.be/Mfad4Uil58c
Attachments
Sherman Turret converted to IR Battle mode.
Sherman Turret converted to IR Battle mode.
Now the IR detector with red filter collector lens mounted..
Now the IR detector with red filter collector lens mounted..
IMG_5004.JPG (91.01 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
top of turret mechanism. donar #2 1/72 Tiger tank gave up its turrent drive for this tank.
top of turret mechanism. donar #2 1/72 Tiger tank gave up its turrent drive for this tank.
underside of turret drive. uses a coreless motor cause there is not much room in here lol
underside of turret drive. uses a coreless motor cause there is not much room in here lol
Using the stock mantle hole locations to mount the FIRE indicator LED and the IR emitter LED.
Using the stock mantle hole locations to mount the FIRE indicator LED and the IR emitter LED.
Last edited by modler on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Re: Scale 1/35 Sherman to IR Battle system Radio Remote Cont

Post by modler »

My first scale model IR battle tank conversion.
My first scale model IR battle tank conversion.
IMG_5015.JPG (60.45 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
Got the Tank running with its new radio setup and have successfully engaged another Tank in battle. I picked this particular battle tank gear because it does not use life indicator LED's. Instead it gets "battle damage" by disabling the the tracks, turret traverse. The circuit board is very small as well. and is easy (relative to others I have tried) to transfer to another model B|
Attachments
The radio gear is small enough to fit this small Tank.
The radio gear is small enough to fit this small Tank.
IMG_5018.JPG (66.47 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I have upgraded the radio\battle system to 2.4ghz so now no external antenna. I now have 3 scale models with this new 2.4gnz battle system.

1. Sherman
2. T-34. Has Autonomous mode system.
3 Tiger 1

The Sherman is the only one with a r\c turret so far but the others will get theirs soon enough. All run on a 1 cell lipo or 3 or 4 cell ni-mh, just depends on the Tank and how much power required.

The T-34 runs off a very small 150mah 1s lipo. Actually any of these models can run off the small lipo.

All the Tanks shown have upgraded motors. The motors have been changed to >= 8 ohms. This slows down the Tanks to a scale like speed and reduces the current required by the motors to move the Tank in a way that is very realistic.

I will add more info and pictures here as I get the time to do so. :D
Attachments
This is one of the doner tanks used to upgrade my fleet.
This is one of the doner tanks used to upgrade my fleet.
1/35 scale Tank fleet all being converted to IR battle 2.4 ghz.
1/35 scale Tank fleet all being converted to IR battle 2.4 ghz.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Here is some more data on one of my newly created 1/35 scale battle Tanks. The Tiger shown below is running off a 250mah 1s lipo.

Tiger Tank start up.

https://youtu.be/GRvqzCszPUE

Tiger Tank climbing the obstacle

https://youtu.be/sHYIsNtiQ8o
Attachments
I like the Tiger for many reasons and one reason is that it has independently adjustable track tension adjustment. With these tracks it is my favorite. I like the individual plastic tracks more than metal for this scale tank which I run indoors.
I like the Tiger for many reasons and one reason is that it has independently adjustable track tension adjustment. With these tracks it is my favorite. I like the individual plastic tracks more than metal for this scale tank which I run indoors.
IMG_5100.JPG (79.81 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
2.4ghz 4 channel with IR battle system with engine, machine gun, main gun sounds. Smal enough to easily fit in 1/35 scale Tiger.
2.4ghz 4 channel with IR battle system with engine, machine gun, main gun sounds. Smal enough to easily fit in 1/35 scale Tiger.
~18 ohm 130 motors, (12v) give this tank a nice scale speed. It all runs off that 1s 250mah lipo.
~18 ohm 130 motors, (12v) give this tank a nice scale speed. It all runs off that 1s 250mah lipo.
The modern tank in this picture will be used for parts for another Scale model upgrade to 2.4ghz IR battle Tank.
The modern tank in this picture will be used for parts for another Scale model upgrade to 2.4ghz IR battle Tank.
IMG_5094.JPG (73.05 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Here is a picture of the donor tank.
Here is a picture of the donor tank.
IMG_5093.JPG (88.83 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
it is missing a few parts but is one of my favorites due to that excellent paint job.
it is missing a few parts but is one of my favorites due to that excellent paint job.
IMG_5081.JPG (76.2 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
I got this Tank from ebay. It was already built and painted and has the steel dual motor gearbox but was missing one of the tracks.
I got this Tank from ebay. It was already built and painted and has the steel dual motor gearbox but was missing one of the tracks.
IMG_5080.JPG (82.4 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
This Tank has individual linked tracks from a 1/25th scale Tamiya Centurion Tank. They have been modified. They work very well on this Tiger.
This Tank has individual linked tracks from a 1/25th scale Tamiya Centurion Tank. They have been modified. They work very well on this Tiger.
IMG_5079.JPG (92.84 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Tamiya Tiger now with IR battle system.
Tamiya Tiger now with IR battle system.
IMG_5078.JPG (73.18 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Last edited by modler on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Latest info on the T-34 conversion to IR battle Tank. Now I can have a 3 way battle with WW2 Tanks, Soviet T34, German Tiger 1, American Sherman M6. This T-34 has a center drive track system that works very well and has never even looked like it would throw a track for any reason lol.

In this video, I power up the T-34 then push the "Auto" mode button which the box says (from the original LF Tank which is now the T-34) is a "special autonomous single player mode", Then Tank went into its auto mode which if I had not stopped it would have destroyed the Tiger Tank by ramming it and pushing it off the Table lol. I stopped it just in time :O

https://youtu.be/ID9bOrkXVIs
Attachments
No external antennas!
No external antennas!
IMG_5099.JPG (98.69 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
These LF Tanks come with a 600mah 1s metal can lipo which I used as a power supply for the Sherman. It has built in under\over volate control.
These LF Tanks come with a 600mah 1s metal can lipo which I used as a power supply for the Sherman. It has built in under\over volate control.
IMG_5096.JPG (91.67 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
552 set IR Battle Tanks make excellent donors for Scale models.
552 set IR Battle Tanks make excellent donors for Scale models.
This is a interesting feature. This LF system of Tanks works with the other set I will show next
This is a interesting feature. This LF system of Tanks works with the other set I will show next
Did not want to modify this Tank in any way so Laser and laser indicator LED's mounted without mods to the hull and are easily removed if needed.
Did not want to modify this Tank in any way so Laser and laser indicator LED's mounted without mods to the hull and are easily removed if needed.
IMG_5088.JPG (70.4 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
This is a Laser Force radio system which has 3 kill lights, the others have 4 kill lights.
This is a Laser Force radio system which has 3 kill lights, the others have 4 kill lights.
IMG_5087.JPG (71.07 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
this external switch is for my convenience and the T-34 is not complete yet in its hulls detail assembly
this external switch is for my convenience and the T-34 is not complete yet in its hulls detail assembly
IMG_5086.JPG (72.31 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Scale 1/35 Tamiya Tanks to IR Battle system 2.4 ghz RRC

Post by Jimster »

You’ve definitely worked hard on these awesome mini tanks. Great driving skills taking that Tiger over the “hill” and saving it at the very end! This Caronavirus quarantine sure can bring out the inventiveness in people.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Jimster wrote:You’ve definitely worked hard on these awesome mini tanks. Great driving skills taking that Tiger over the “hill” and saving it at the very end! This Caronavirus quarantine sure can bring out the inventiveness in people.
Just noticed this reply Jimster, Yes we have have certainly had to fill our time with hobbies and such to keep our sanity during the pandemic mess :(

This was my initial pass on these tanks as I will be adding turret control and more features including a upgraded HL radio system. So more of the same.
Attachments
Using this well used Tiger 1 to evaluate HL IR battle system radio gear.
Using this well used Tiger 1 to evaluate HL IR battle system radio gear.
IMG_6320.JPG (87.2 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

The HL IR battle system radio testing has panned out very well. All future IR tanks will be based on this radio. I successfully upgraded a 1/25 Tiger to this radio system and it is excellent! Next upgrade using this radio will be a 1/24 scale Vs Tank Tiger 1 and or Vs Tank M4 Sherman.
Attachments
1/24 Vs Tank M4 Sherman will also be converted to HL radio with IR battle function.
1/24 Vs Tank M4 Sherman will also be converted to HL radio with IR battle function.
IMG_6380.JPG (98.64 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
1/24 Vs Tank Tiger 1 will be converted to HL radio with IR battle function.
1/24 Vs Tank Tiger 1 will be converted to HL radio with IR battle function.
Tundra4trails
Recruit

Post by Tundra4trails »

You said you swapped to 8hm motors.. what ones did you get or could you possibly tell me where you got them thanks
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Tundra4trails wrote:You said you swapped to 8hm motors.. what ones did you get or could you possibly tell me where you got them thanks
It is hard to find 8 ohm motors. I have bought them on ebay but they do not give you the ohm ratings but rather the voltage limit. So generally a 6-9-12 volt motors are what you are looking at in the listings. The higher the voltage rating the higher the ohms will be. As soon as I can I will show pictures and give details on a motor tester setup that I use. I also will do a thread on small DC electric motor tech that I have learned over the last 4.5 decades if any interest is shown for that data. :)
Attachments
Small DC Motor tester
Small DC Motor tester
IMG_7889.jpg (77.79 KiB) Viewed 801 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”