Tamiya 1/25 Tiger 1969 Vintage scale model to RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Tamiya 1/25 Tiger 1969 Vintage scale model to RRC

Post by modler »

I have owned this model since 1985. It started out as a statics scale Model as a replacement chassis for a motorized remote control version that I had owned since 1978. The original Tiger model from 1978 had suffered severe damage in transit during a move from Arizona to Ohio and I used the 1985 model to rebuild the original Tiger. Anyway, Later that rebuilt Tiger needed the original drive line replaced as it was completely worn out so I hand built a new one from the original parts and it never worked very well so by 02-03, I installed a 1/35 Sherman gearbox in the 1/25 Tiger and that worked better than the original gearbox and was in this tank until just the other day when I removed the ultra rare narrow Sherman gearbox and wanted to install a new Tamiya gearbox that is available on ebay. I tested this new gearbox in a 1/35 M48 Patton Tank and it worked very well so it is now going in the 1\25 Tiger. On the last retrofit of the Tiger, I came up with a simple but effective gearbox\sprocket interface that only requires two set screws to be loosened to remove the gearbox from the Tiger. So this should be an easy gearbox swap.
Attachments
Two allen head screws with collars hold this gearbox in, that's it!
Two allen head screws with collars hold this gearbox in, that's it!
this gearbox is very smooth and precise and powerful.
this gearbox is very smooth and precise and powerful.
these brass sleeves ensure that the drive sprockets are in perfect alignment to the track
these brass sleeves ensure that the drive sprockets are in perfect alignment to the track
IMG_4978.JPG (63.53 KiB) Viewed 964 times
There is just enough room for this gearbox in this space
There is just enough room for this gearbox in this space
ready for installation.
ready for installation.
Axles trimmed on the new gearbox.
Axles trimmed on the new gearbox.
IMG_4975.JPG (86.22 KiB) Viewed 977 times
brass metal tubing was used for this modification.
brass metal tubing was used for this modification.
IMG_4972.JPG (80.76 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Drive sprocket interface holds the whole thing together with 2 set screws.
Drive sprocket interface holds the whole thing together with 2 set screws.
IMG_4971.JPG (91.31 KiB) Viewed 977 times
gearbox on the left is one I will be using in this Tank. The other is an Academy gearbox with will go in a Tamiya M103. Either one of these will work with my drive sprocket interface but I am going with the one on the left as they are readily available on ebay for a reasonable price. About $20.
gearbox on the left is one I will be using in this Tank. The other is an Academy gearbox with will go in a Tamiya M103. Either one of these will work with my drive sprocket interface but I am going with the one on the left as they are readily available on ebay for a reasonable price. About $20.
rare Sherman narrow metal gearbox removed and getting ready for replacement gearbox
rare Sherman narrow metal gearbox removed and getting ready for replacement gearbox
famta
Recruit

Re: Tamiya 1/25 Tiger 1969 Vintage scale model to RRC

Post by famta »

Hello!
Looks good. I always will use this gearbox in the classy hobby luchs. i hope, it will work well. Is it possible, to show a video how the Tiger is driving?

Greets, Nobbi.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya 1/25 Tiger 1969 Vintage scale model to RRC

Post by modler »

famta wrote:Hello!
Looks good. I always will use this gearbox in the classy hobby luchs. i hope, it will work well. Is it possible, to show a video how the Tiger is driving?

Greets, Nobbi.

Just noticed this reply Nobbi, Yes :D ASAP I will do a video of this Tank running. I recently changed the motors to decrease the top speed but increase low end torque. I runs SUPER with this gear box which is very powerful and robust.

The Tank is now a IR HL Battle tank with Tamiya body, gearbox 8)
Attachments
Tamiya 1/25 Tiger converted to 2,4 G Hen long radio remote control.
Tamiya 1/25 Tiger converted to 2,4 G Hen long radio remote control.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”