Jagdpanther with snowcamo wash

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Jagdpanther with snowcamo wash

Post by Jay-Em »

To start : I have no talent whatsover for photography, so forgive the out-of-focus bits :P

My first experiment with the hairspray method to create run off washes.

Late in the war, Germans deployed in wintery regions, used white chalk and other white paints to create Wintertarnung on-the-fly. It was sprayed ( when the equipment was available) brushed-on, and even just dabbed-on with a bit of cloth.

I kind of liked that look, especially when a bit of wet snow started to wash it away.

Having read about the hairspray-trick often, but never tried it, a barely running, years-old jagdpanther would be my subject.

Results? Quite good. I lòve the way it streaked and washed away with a bit of judicious toothbrush rubbing and just plain scratching the surface with my nails. ( if only those bloody Heng Long stickers would stay on.. :problem: )
I liked it só much, that I gave my tired-old Jagdpanther a commander ( torro with Heng Long head transplanted) and the Haya 6.3 controller. Combined with two Igarashi, slow running 5-pole 380’s and the really smooth low-speed control of the Haya 6.3 ( Heng Long 6.1 with different transmitter and a fancy Haya sticker on the mfu) the all-plastic affair runs ( and sounds) like a dream.

So, without further ado, the result :

For lack of a proper studio, a white towel had to do. The “atmospheric”
(me being pretentious here :P ) shots were taken in front of the tv with snowscape pictures.
Ragnar
Corporal

Re: Jagdpanther with snowcamo wash

Post by Ragnar »

Excellent..Excellent job on the camo, and the pictures taken in front of the Telly show some real creative licensing..... :thumbup: congratulations!
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Thank You. Such praise.. :{

The telly-thing was a sudden moment of inspiration while I was watching some nice snowscape vids on Youtube.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

TOTM candidate! Very creative and realistic modeling.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Camouflage looks very realistic! Nicely done :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thoroughly deserving of all the positive comments! :thumbup:
Using the TV is a good idea. In fact, you could be running some Blu-Ray war movies in the background as well, for added 'realism' If you have a Blu-Ray player, that is. Then again, 'streamed' movies will also work well. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Hmm.. I do have the ‘WWII in colour’ Bluray... *ponders*

Thank You all for the praise. Never knew such a relatively ‘simple’ trick could transform a model so thoroughly. Even being a bottom-of-the-line plastic Heng Long Jagdpanzer, it now looks properly like a scale model. It was also an interesting learning experience.

Return to “Show Off”