Tamiya 1/35 1975 vintage Hanomag Halftrack model to RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Tamiya 1/35 1975 vintage Hanomag Halftrack model to RRC

Post by modler »

I started this RRC upgrade in 1982 and after many attempts finally starting to get somewhere today lol :D This is about the 20th time that I decided to make it look more scale or at least a scale looking silhouette. This thing is small and very hard to work with. I do not think anyone else would attempt a RRC conversion or even a on\off switch control "motorized" version.

I was running it today when I could no longer stand to look at the track road wheels because there was 1 to many per side. It is supposed to have 7 per side and it had 8 so...Tore it apart and eliminated 2 road wheels and then started the slow process of getting it back together.

ran out of time today and could not finish...well, it's like I tell my wife, they are never finished but it is looking better than it ever has.
Attachments
This is some of what I have left of the original kit parts, also have a few more parts trees and the instructions but lost the box but that parts tree says 1975. With out the parts trees as a reference, it is hard to know exactly when a model was made.
This is some of what I have left of the original kit parts, also have a few more parts trees and the instructions but lost the box but that parts tree says 1975. With out the parts trees as a reference, it is hard to know exactly when a model was made.
IMG_4790.JPG (67.21 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
I think this is it..proper stance.
I think this is it..proper stance.
IMG_4787.JPG (92.64 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
using this 1/18 model as a reference
using this 1/18 model as a reference
working on the correct stance now. the drive sprockets and tracks are not scale but are the best I do at this point,
working on the correct stance now. the drive sprockets and tracks are not scale but are the best I do at this point,
twin N30 motors wired in series. The drive sprockets are not quite scale but they have center track drive teeth like the scale units have.
twin N30 motors wired in series. The drive sprockets are not quite scale but they have center track drive teeth like the scale units have.
IMG_4780.JPG (95.84 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
this is my 4th attempt with this gearbox assembly. This twin motor gearbox is from two different radio controlled toy models. The road wheels and tracks are from a 1\64 Tiger and the gearbox center section is from a very small toy radio control tank.
this is my 4th attempt with this gearbox assembly. This twin motor gearbox is from two different radio controlled toy models. The road wheels and tracks are from a 1\64 Tiger and the gearbox center section is from a very small toy radio control tank.
redid this twin motor gearbox again and now it has the correct number of road wheels per side.
redid this twin motor gearbox again and now it has the correct number of road wheels per side.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya 1/35 1975 vintage Hanomag Halftrack model to RRC

Post by modler »

Making some more progress on this old model. Got the front\rear body mounts sorted out with adjustable track stance so it can be tuned after it is running as just a little tweak can make all the difference in how well it tracks.

Also did some work on the front wheels as I want a more stock look. The problem is this model comes with plastic front wheels witch just does not work in a RRC model. The front wheels I have on the model are the correct height but lack detail in the hub area. I worked on the hub by filling it down and shaping it like a hubcap.
Attachments
Ready for bench test.
Ready for bench test.
IMG_4818.JPG (90.24 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
That looks way better. That is the correct hub for this model.
That looks way better. That is the correct hub for this model.
IMG_4816.JPG (91.87 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
cut the hub out of that wheel and after some filling and shaping install it on the rubber wheel
cut the hub out of that wheel and after some filling and shaping install it on the rubber wheel
IMG_4814.JPG (96.84 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
I like that front wheel but can not use it because it is plastic. This is the front wheel that comes with the kit.
I like that front wheel but can not use it because it is plastic. This is the front wheel that comes with the kit.
Radio gear reinstalled
Radio gear reinstalled
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya 1/35 1975 vintage Hanomag Halftrack model to RRC

Post by modler »

I finally got to test this model and it runs amazingly good and will run even better with a HG radio. In the meanwhile, I am having fun running it as is and will post a video of it running asap. This model does have individual track motors and uses track steering mix with the front wheels.
Attachments
This thing is 35+ years old and one of my early HT attempts
This thing is 35+ years old and one of my early HT attempts
IMG_0371.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1785 times
Ready for video run as soon as time permits
Ready for video run as soon as time permits
IMG_0370.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1785 times
Yes it is in the lineup of running Half tracks.
Yes it is in the lineup of running Half tracks.
IMG_0287.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1785 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”