Tamiya Mokei 1968 1\35 motorized RC JSIII with suspension

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Tamiya Mokei 1968 1\35 motorized RC JSIII with suspension

Post by modler »

I have had this 1968 Vintage (estimated) Tamiya motorized remote control scale model Tank for awhile but am not able to build because the natural rubber tracks disintegrated due to old age. It is NIB and waiting to be built. This model has some unusual features like coil spring suspension for the road wheels. I have never seen that on a 1/35 scale Tamiya model. The dual 140 motor all metal gearbox is also different from anything I have seen before. It also has a small light bulb that is for the IR searchlight and has some kind of integral switch which is another first for me. I am determined to find a way to get this thing on its tracks and running :D

fixed the date mistake from 1965 to 1968 and added that it is a rare MOKEI model
Attachments
The wired remote control box shown here for the first time. I never use them so I actually do not have one that is assembled. I have many unassembled ones in the kit boxes.
The wired remote control box shown here for the first time. I never use them so I actually do not have one that is assembled. I have many unassembled ones in the kit boxes.
IMG_4556.JPG (97.14 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
This twin motor gearbox is different than any I have seen before. I will describe later in this thread why.
This twin motor gearbox is different than any I have seen before. I will describe later in this thread why.
This is a "big Box" 1/35 Tamiya model kit.
This is a "big Box" 1/35 Tamiya model kit.
Super rare 1965 JS III T-10. Has coil spring suspension for the road wheels.
Super rare 1965 JS III T-10. Has coil spring suspension for the road wheels.
Last edited by modler on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya 1965 vintage 1\35 motorized RC JSIII with suspens

Post by Jimster »

If it can be done, I’m sure you are the one that can do it.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
Fruilmetal or Spade Ace might be able to help with a set of working metal tracks for that IS-3. Looking forward to your build.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Afternoon,
Fruilmetal or Spade Ace might be able to help with a set of working metal tracks for that IS-3. Looking forward to your build.
regards,
Painless
Oh thanks for the info. I will check that out.

Today I have learned that the drive sprockets are not scale in this model, Tamiya made what looks like a custom drive sprocket that drives a rubber track like a toy tank track :'(

I will see if I can get a picture of what I am talking about but I do not want to open the packaging as that will hurt an ebay sale.

I already made another $40 mistake by buying another Tamiya JS3 non motorized version for its tracks only to discover that the JS3 has 6 road wheels where the JSIII has 7!
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Jimster wrote:If it can be done, I’m sure you are the one that can do it.
Thank you for the vote of confidence but looks like I may have a "mission impossible" on my hand here, The weird drive sprocket is not scale and is some kind of custom design that may be impossible to find a replacement :(
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tamiya 1968 vintage 1\35 motorized RC JSIII with suspens

Post by c.rainford73 »

This is a very interesting build. Those gearboxes remind me of my early Imai 1/15 panzer IV set late 60's or early 70's vintage design in much smaller scale. :shifty:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Here are mine.ImageImage
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Afternoon,
regards,
Painless
I have looked at both sites and can not find anything for a T-10 JS III. Probably because the tracks used on the Tamiya JS III are not a scale design. I am making some efforts to find a solution..

If I am to proceed with this looks like I am going to have to open the kit to get a better look at the drive sprockets. The way the track is drive connected to the sprocket will determine if there is anything that can be done to mod a set of tracks for this model. On a T-34 Tank, the drive sprocket is connected to the track via the center track teeth and not the outer edges of the track using sprocket teeth that mesh with the track like most conventional designs.

Looks to me like this Tank does not use either method which could mean it is some toy grade method of track drive and if so, Not sure it is worth proceeding. Many Tanks but so little time...
Attachments
Ok, that is what I figured. Off to ebay with this thing!
Ok, that is what I figured. Off to ebay with this thing!
What kind of track drive pattern is this? I think I have seen this on some Toy grade Tanks.
What kind of track drive pattern is this? I think I have seen this on some Toy grade Tanks.
IMG_4589.JPG (77.54 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
IMG_4588.JPG
IMG_4588.JPG (62.24 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
IMG_4587.JPG
IMG_4587.JPG (65.85 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
I have some track that is the right width but not scale look pattern
I have some track that is the right width but not scale look pattern
IMG_4585.JPG (80.04 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
checking my  drive sprocket stash...
checking my drive sprocket stash...
IMG_4584.JPG (88.13 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
Last edited by modler on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

c.rainford73 wrote:Here are mine.ImageImage
Those look very robust! What scale is that model?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Vintage 1/15 scale

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”