NEW 1974 Tamiya 1/35 T-34 Motorized Remote Control >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Re: NEW 1974 Tamiya 1/35 T-34 motorized Remote Control >RRC

Post by modler »

Von Mooflesaaa wrote:Wow that looks great mate.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Well this was a thread about the T-34 and somehow got off track. Back to the T-34. I upgraded the T-34 to a 2.4ghz IR battle tank. So now I have a 1/35 Tiger 1, Sherman M4A8, T-34 battle Tanks. All three tanks have the Tamiya metal gearbox. This collection of three tanks cost approximately $900 to build. Worth every penny IMO.

I am sure you could buy a very nice 1/16 scale for that price but I have no interest in the 1/16 scale. I probably have 60 or more RRC tanks and the only way that is possible is 1/35 scale. Oh I look at the 1/16 tanks now and then and I even had one back in 1979. A 1/16 Tamiya Leopard tank with metal gearbox with the "tiller arm" for steering. I still have the gearbox somewhere from the model but it was modified to work in a Lindberg PT-109 model. Hopefully I still have that somewhere.

Anyway back to the Tamiya T-34...
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Got the T-34 out of storage bin and took a few pics today. Will do a video of a roll about when time allows.

Here is a short video of the "3 hits" LED indicator.
https://youtu.be/RJicfCGFvWE

Here is a short video of the T-34 climbing a hill.
https://youtu.be/szPrLjOWWy8
Attachments
refueling underway
refueling underway
This T-34 runs off a 1s 140 mah lipo! That's the beauty of these all matal Tamiya gearbox, with the right motors they are very efficient and produce a lot of torque with low current consumption.
This T-34 runs off a 1s 140 mah lipo! That's the beauty of these all matal Tamiya gearbox, with the right motors they are very efficient and produce a lot of torque with low current consumption.
Looks like a bit going on in there. 2.4g with I\R battle system.
Looks like a bit going on in there. 2.4g with I\R battle system.
Pair of Tamiya 1/35 scale battle tanks. May be the only set in existence. I actually have a trio of these tanks including a Sherman M3A8. So can have a 3 way battle against the Tiger.
Pair of Tamiya 1/35 scale battle tanks. May be the only set in existence. I actually have a trio of these tanks including a Sherman M3A8. So can have a 3 way battle against the Tiger.
IMG_7204.JPG (67.15 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
Excellent track system on this tank. Has a battle system for battle against a Tiger 1. 2.4g with I\R battle system with scorings (3 hits) LED display.
Excellent track system on this tank. Has a battle system for battle against a Tiger 1. 2.4g with I\R battle system with scorings (3 hits) LED display.
IMG_7202.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I am impressed by the wizardry you and others perform on 1/35 AFVs. What a great selection of vehicles is available to you to modify, and $300 each may seem like a lot, but one must understand that everything about the mechanicals and electronics you do is custom work. I have moved to 1/16 in modeling because of fuzzy eyesight, shaky hands sometimes, and inadequacy of what pediatricians call "fine motor skills." You, however, do have fine motor skills!
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I am impressed by the wizardry you and others perform on 1/35 AFVs. What a great selection of vehicles is available to you to modify, and $300 each may seem like a lot, but one must understand that everything about the mechanicals and electronics you do is custom work. I have moved to 1/16 in modeling because of fuzzy eyesight, shaky hands sometimes, and inadequacy of what pediatricians call "fine motor skills." You, however, do have fine motor skills!
Well yeah still have some left but the eyesight is starting to wane in the ability to focus :( I have just finished (except for main gun recoil) both the VS Tanks you previously owned. They have been converted to Hen Long with IR battle system and they are now able to confront each other on the battle arena 8) These VS 1/24 battle tanks are the best I have ever worked with. They are detailed AND very robust and high quality items. They are now the most prized tanks in my large collection. I have owned a few 1/16 tanks over the years but they are just too big for my home workshop else I would own a dozen or so then my wife would not be happy :/
Attachments
These are finally done and work nicely with the HL 1/24 proportional R\C IR battle system.
These are finally done and work nicely with the HL 1/24 proportional R\C IR battle system.
IMG_7880.JPG (64.92 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Von Mooflesaaa wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:10 pm Wow that looks great mate.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Ok well I just realised I never finished this thread and got off track a bit. Well the T-34 has been complete for a number of years and runs great with no issues. The tracks were a bit tight at first so I carefully stretched them and they are fine now. These will break like a rubber band if you go too far. this may be the reason this model is not very popular as a vintage"motorized remote control". I can imagine the disappointment one will feel after realizing the track tension is so tight that the model will not operate properly.

I just checked for the date code on the tank chassis and can not find one on this model. Normally there is a date code on these Vintage Tamiya "motorized remote control" kits. This is the first one I have seen that does not. There is another way to get the "year code" is by looking at the parts sprunes in the kit box and that is probably were I got the date from. ASAP I will find this kit box and check the sprunes for a year code. It has been 3 years since I built this kit so I can not remember off hand :crazy:

This Tank has excellent tracking and off road capability and has never shown any sign of throwing a track and has a very robust track layout including the tracks themselves.

Short video of the model doing a "Hill climb". This was posted sometime back and has a lowly "1 like" lol. I added some comments to the video.
https://youtu.be/szPrLjOWWy8
Attachments
It is IRONIC that this ICON RC radio comes from a 1/35 scale radio control plane. This is a Cox P-47 from (2006), These were very popular RTF kits. This one is still on the flight deck and was flown last summer. Now the Transmitter controls this 1/35 T-34 as well.
It is IRONIC that this ICON RC radio comes from a 1/35 scale radio control plane. This is a Cox P-47 from (2006), These were very popular RTF kits. This one is still on the flight deck and was flown last summer. Now the Transmitter controls this 1/35 T-34 as well.
IMG_0335.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 592 times
Inside view of the forward track tensioner.
Inside view of the forward track tensioner.
IMG_0327.jpg (456.15 KiB) Viewed 600 times
bottom view shows two track tension screw adjustments. It is the only one in my collection that has this feature. The "slot" is for a on\off switch that comes with the kit if it is a "motorized" version (single motor)
bottom view shows two track tension screw adjustments. It is the only one in my collection that has this feature. The "slot" is for a on\off switch that comes with the kit if it is a "motorized" version (single motor)
IMG_0325.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 600 times
1 ohm motor decoupling capacitors visible in this picture along with 2.2 ohm motor tuning resistors. 72.350mhz FM (channel 28) vintage 8 channel radio system.
1 ohm motor decoupling capacitors visible in this picture along with 2.2 ohm motor tuning resistors. 72.350mhz FM (channel 28) vintage 8 channel radio system.
IMG_0326.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 600 times
Here is the "Das Mikro" twin ESC with mixing. This is one of the smallest twin ESC's around, however, they only work with vintage radio gear! I can not get these to work with a DSM type radio gear.
Here is the "Das Mikro" twin ESC with mixing. This is one of the smallest twin ESC's around, however, they only work with vintage radio gear! I can not get these to work with a DSM type radio gear.
IMG_0332.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 600 times
Vintage aircraft radio gear with a modern twin ESC with mixing. "34" stamping visible on the gearbox. You can also see upgrade brass pinion gears on the motor shafts.
Vintage aircraft radio gear with a modern twin ESC with mixing. "34" stamping visible on the gearbox. You can also see upgrade brass pinion gears on the motor shafts.
IMG_0323.jpg (647.96 KiB) Viewed 600 times
T-34\76 made in JAPAN MM is what is molded inside upper hule. NO DATE CODE that I can find at this time.
T-34\76 made in JAPAN MM is what is molded inside upper hule. NO DATE CODE that I can find at this time.
IMG_0322.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 600 times
I also have a radio system that makes this an IR battle tank.
I also have a radio system that makes this an IR battle tank.
IMG_0321.jpg (414.65 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Currently using a vintage aircraft radio system in this model. Works very good despite its age. It allows me to repurpose this radio gear that would otherwise sit in storage. Circa 2007 (16 years old)
Currently using a vintage aircraft radio system in this model. Works very good despite its age. It allows me to repurpose this radio gear that would otherwise sit in storage. Circa 2007 (16 years old)
IMG_0319.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 600 times
Last edited by modler on Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Gee, modler, I just noticed a comment you made over two years ago: "I probably have 60 or more RRC tanks and the only way that is possible is 1/35 scale." Unh, well, if one is a widower and ignores such frivolous matters as clothing, etc., I guarantee you, it is possible. :/
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:11 pm Gee, modler, I just noticed a comment you made over two years ago: "I probably have 60 or more RRC tanks and the only way that is possible is 1/35 scale." Unh, well, if one is a widower and ignores such frivolous matters as clothing, etc., I guarantee you, it is possible. :/
Here Here! :clap:

This evening My wife found a stash of 72 MHZ Transmitters and a box full of RC cars and such tucked away in a corner of the attached garage while we were looking for something else and said to me" We will never have a large enough house for this obsession of yours :/

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”