Tamiya 1/35 M60A2 motorized RC 1974 vintage >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Tamiya 1/35 M60A2 motorized RC 1974 vintage >RRC

Post by modler »

Tamiya Scale series NO.48

Tamiya, made single motor "Motorized" models and dual motor "Motorized Remote Control" military model kits. Both are all metal gearbox setups. Not sure how long they made these great kits but am thinking late 60's, and through the 70s, partly through the 80's... As a kid, I never managed to get one of the metal drive kits because they cost much more money and were rare even back then. This year a lot of these kits suddenly showed up on ebay just before Christmas 2019. I managed to get two of these "motorized remote control" kits before prices jumped to the moon 8)

The first kit I will present here is a M60A2. This kit had parts in in from 1970, 1974 So I am assuming it is 1974 vintage Tamiya kit. I never noticed before but the "parts trees" have dates on them. I have posted pictures of this below.

Now the Remote Control on these kits consists of a "wired 2 ch controller" so the model has wires coming out the back to the controller. Hey, that is all we had back then and we were thrilled to have that! Of course these days, I build these models a "Radio Remote Control" So there are now "motorized Radio Remote Control" as I present them here.

Power source 1s 130mah lipo. The stock motors are wires in series.

M60 on the white table run... https://youtu.be/iwq_9JeL0Wg
Bridge video... https://youtu.be/rRs8ZUh1FZo
Attachments
can not seem to get a good picture today in artificial light. It is very gloomy here today.
can not seem to get a good picture today in artificial light. It is very gloomy here today.
You can see the brown color here
You can see the brown color here
This model is a unique color too. It almost looks light brown in color. Never saw one like this before and I have owned many of these Tamiya models.
This model is a unique color too. It almost looks light brown in color. Never saw one like this before and I have owned many of these Tamiya models.
IMG_4136.JPG (95.21 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
what's this, a 1974 "parts tree" also in this kit? So they used 1970 parts in 1974 to complete this kit.
what's this, a 1974 "parts tree" also in this kit? So they used 1970 parts in 1974 to complete this kit.
IMG_4128.JPG (86.18 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
1970 dated vintage "parts tree" in this 1974 kit
1970 dated vintage "parts tree" in this 1974 kit
sliding hatch for the driver.
sliding hatch for the driver.
IMG_4127.JPG (89.86 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Here is the prized "dual motor, all metal gear box". They will not be making these anymore unfortunately. To appreciate this GB, Try making one of these tanks "motorized" without one and you will understand how wonderful this thing is lol
Here is the prized "dual motor, all metal gear box". They will not be making these anymore unfortunately. To appreciate this GB, Try making one of these tanks "motorized" without one and you will understand how wonderful this thing is lol
Last edited by modler on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M60A2 motorized Remote Control 1974 vintage

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice to see a smaller scale vintage model come to life! As most of us can look back and relate with fondness, the wired motorized models are all we had.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

That looks like a little beast, cannot wait to see you paint it all up.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Von Mooflesaaa wrote:That looks like a little beast, cannot wait to see you paint it all up.
Yes it is a little beast. I spent a lot of time tweaking the tracks, suspension, chassis, GB so that the tracks stay on and everything is smooth in its operation before actually building the outer hull.

I noticed Von Mooflesaaa you have a "Elefant" tank as your avatar, I recently bought a Nichimo 1/35 "Elefant" motorized remote control kit that has a metal gearbox that looks just like the Tamiya version. I will be doing a thread on that model soon.
Attachments
Can't wait to get my hands on this Nichimo Elefant!
Can't wait to get my hands on this Nichimo Elefant!
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

c.rainford73 wrote:Very nice to see a smaller scale vintage model come to life! As most of us can look back and relate with fondness, the wired motorized models are all we had.
Very true. I was not fortunate enough to own one of these motorized scale models as a young modler and was pining for them a long time before finally getting my share lol.

I forgot to mention that this M60 has torsion bar suspension. It is very stiff but does have some give but as lightweight as this M60 model is with its 130 mah 1s lipo, the suspension deflection will be moderate at best lol.

Also some pictures of the factory "remote control system"
Attachments
IMG_4145 (1).JPG
IMG_4145 (1).JPG (64.42 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
IMG_4146.JPG
IMG_4146.JPG (97.98 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
two sides with two levers, one for each track.
two sides with two levers, one for each track.
IMG_4144.JPG (72.03 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
You assemble the remote control system and wire it to the model.
You assemble the remote control system and wire it to the model.
Last edited by modler on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Super cool
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Oh brilliant, I shall be following that thread my man, one of my fav tanks.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I finally got a video of this beast. It is difficult to shot video and drive the Tank on the Table as I would be very unhappy if I drove it off the edge to its DOOM :(

WEll, that is not going to happen but if I had some help I could do a much better video but this video does show and good running
tank.

M60 white table video... https://youtu.be/iwq_9JeL0Wg

Climbing the bridge video...https://youtu.be/rRs8ZUh1FZo
Last edited by modler on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Excellent job. Moves really well
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

c.rainford73 wrote:Excellent job. Moves really well
This M60 has a custom speed control that piggybacks the 2ch radio control receiver. Here is what it does.

left stick moved forward position, Tank ramps up to Max speed, Left stick back to neutral position, Tank ramps down after a few seconds to a low speed forward, then after it travels about 3 feet at low speed, comes to a stop. So in effect, it has a deceleration with timed delay that allows it to continue forward at low speed for 3 feet before coming to a stop. At any time, Left stick can be moved down which would cause the Tank to stop before throttle time out. If Left stick held down after the Tank has stopped, it will start to reverse in direction. Right stick is used at any time the Tank is moving to steer left\right also the turns are done keeping the track in the direction of the turn at a low speed which makes for a smooth controlled turn in either direction and is proportional to the ESC speed as it ramps up and down, much like a piston engine does.

This speed control helps me when doing a video as I know where the Tank will stop after I let go of the throttle to run the camera or move the focal point of the camera which requires taking your eye of the Tank while it is moving on a table 2.5'' of the ground 8O

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”