Tamiya 1/35 M60A2 motorized RC 1974 vintage >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
xhelfix
Lance Corporal

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M60A2 motorized Remote Control 1974 vintage

Post by xhelfix »

good morning,

good job!
Looks fine when it drive´s.

I have the same modell, think i boght the kit it between 85`- 90`on my lokal toydealer. It´s also with the cabel remotecontrol...and works till today.

Thanks for showing, greetz, Andy
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M60A2 motorized RC 1974 vintage >RRC

Post by jimbo_wa »

It'd be great to find one of these one day.

There a single motor version on eBay ATM, but not sure if it's able to be converted with a Tamiya 70097 Twin Motor Gearbox?
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

jimbo_wa wrote:It'd be great to find one of these one day.

There a single motor version on eBay ATM, but not sure if it's able to be converted with a Tamiya 70097 Twin Motor Gearbox?
Well, yes but it would require extreme modeling skills to do. I did a Lindbergh M48 using that 70097 gearbox, see link below

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=28977

1.There are a few problems to overcome with this conversion, That gearbox is BIG and barely fits the chassis and may require modification to the chassis. It barely fit the 1/35 Lindberg M48 and I did have to cut on the chassis a bit.

2. The Tamiya motorized drive sprockets from the SM motorized M60 (or any Tamiya model) will not fit the hexagon shaped axles of the 70097 gearbox. If you manage to use this gearbox in a 1/35 model it would only be the second one that i know of mine being the first.

I really do not know why Tamiya made this very smooth gearbox impossible to use :problem:
Also why is the Tamiya 1/35 all steel gearbox not available for resale? Not even a clone is available.

jimbo, if suggest you get a Academy motorized remote control M60-A1. It is nearly identical to the Tamiya model and has a very smooth gearbox which has Tamiya compatible drive sprockets and with minor mods could be used in some Tamiya Tanks. I bought two from ebay. $35+Tax+Shipping.

Better get a couple before they are gone. Below is a link for that Academy M60. I highly recommend this 13271 model kit.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=29218

You can find "Tamiya 1/35 motorized remote control" tanks on ebay by using the search words in the parenthesis. or "Academy 1/35 motorized remote control"

Be careful that it is a 1/35 scale model as some of the ads are misleading. They say 1/35 in the ad but if you look at the pictures of the box, some say 1/48. I do not care for 1/48, that is too small even for me lol.

By the way, I paid $108.00 for my M60 Tamiya motorized remote control Tank from ebay. That sounds like a lot but I have seen them go for $180. You just have to wait for the rite time to buy. It is a lot of money but, considering the time and work that is required to motorize any model it is well worth it to just buy one that will set the standard from now on. Anything less than the 1/35 Tamiya or Academy gearbox is inferior IMO. There just is no substitute at this time.
Attachments
Academy 13271 kit is the one I featured at this site. Link above
Academy 13271 kit is the one I featured at this site. Link above
you can see I have two of those Academy M60 Tanks in my collection.
you can see I have two of those Academy M60 Tanks in my collection.
Last edited by modler on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Funny you should say that - I've just purchased the Academy M60A2 13296 kit!

I've already got this on the back burner too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

So that Tamiya type 10 would be a Scale Model to motorized RRC using the gearbox shown in the picture? Looks like it physically fits the chassis. Could you do a side shot of the axle coming out of the chassis?

Here is a ebay link for the motorized remote control M60 A1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Academy-1-35-U ... SwUKxYiKmP

The M60A2 13296 kit you mention is not motorized. For a few dollars more you can get the motorized M60 A1,
Attachments
Can not beat this Academy M60 A1 for the money.
Can not beat this Academy M60 A1 for the money.
Last edited by modler on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

modler wrote:So that Tamiya type 10 would be a Scale Model to motorized RRC using the gearbox shown in the picture? Looks like it physically fits the chassis. Could you do a side shot of the axle coming out of the chassis?
Correct, I needed to cut off the mounting tabs and it's just resting on some Blu-Tack at the moment.

My plan is to create a solid mount for the gearbox and fill the drive sprockets with epoxy, before drilling the shaft mounts.

It works well in my head anyway... Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Yes the position of the drive axle will work. This is a critical factor. the hexagon shape axle requires some thought on how it can be interfaced with a drive sprocket in some fashion that is not too hard to implement and is repeatable.
Attachments
this is how tamiya does it
this is how tamiya does it
I bought one of these to see if it had potential and to check how hard it would be to interface drice sprockets to the hexagon axle
I bought one of these to see if it had potential and to check how hard it would be to interface drice sprockets to the hexagon axle
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

modler wrote:Here is a ebay link for the motorized remote control M60 A1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Academy-1-35-U ... SwUKxYiKmP

The M60A2 13296 kit you mention is not motorized. For a few dollars more you can get the motorized M60 A1,
Yeah - found that one, but I don't like the M60A1 :haha:

If I can't use the Tamiya gearbox, then I may go and get the above as a donor as the hulls are identical.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

modler wrote:Yes the position of the drive axle will work. This is a critical factor. the hexagon shape axle requires some thought on how it can be interfaced with a drive sprocket in some fashion that is not too hard to implement and is repeatable.
I was going to drill through the sprocket and axle to use a long M2 screw to ensure a solid interface. It's not particularly scale, but it'll be covered by the tracks 95% of the time!
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

jimbo_wa wrote:
modler wrote:Yes the position of the drive axle will work. This is a critical factor. the hexagon shape axle requires some thought on how it can be interfaced with a drive sprocket in some fashion that is not too hard to implement and is repeatable.
I was going to drill through the sprocket and axle to use a long M2 screw to ensure a solid interface. It's not particularly scale, but it'll be covered by the tracks 95% of the time!
Would like to see that when you get it done. Sometimes you have to get creative with the drive sprockets as far as mounting goes and is the most critical factor in a motorized RRC Tank conversion.

Yes I often buy models as donors for others that I like better.
Attachments
Have not finished the M60A1 yet. It has a very smooth Academy plastic gearbox that is geared a bit higher than the Tamiya metal gearbox so it is a bit faster in the stretch.
Have not finished the M60A1 yet. It has a very smooth Academy plastic gearbox that is geared a bit higher than the Tamiya metal gearbox so it is a bit faster in the stretch.
These all run very well.
These all run very well.
Drive sprocket of the M48 with the Tamiya plastic gearbox.
Drive sprocket of the M48 with the Tamiya plastic gearbox.
IMG_4800.JPG (71.22 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
M60A1,M60A2, M48.
M60A1,M60A2, M48.
I bought these storage cases for my 1/35 model tanks recently and it greatly simplifies storage and protection of my prized models.
I bought these storage cases for my 1/35 model tanks recently and it greatly simplifies storage and protection of my prized models.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”