Tortured Tamiya Tiger...

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tortured Tamiya Tiger...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Quite by chance, while leafing through Asiatam's current offerings, I saw these Late-version metal wheels. They're described as suitable for the Tamiya Tiger 1 :)
Late Tiger 1  wheels- Asiatam
Late Tiger 1 wheels- Asiatam
Has anyone tried them? Do they really fit the Tamiya Tiger 1?
https://www.asiatam.de/Panzerzubehoer/T ... Tiger.html
Given the price- and if the wheels really do pass muster- a late conversion might well be a possibility. Trouble is, the nagging, cynical version of me is standing close by, reminding me of struggles I've had with badly fitting Asiatam components in the past... :/ ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

They certainly look like they would fit.

85 euros isn’t too bad either.

Sorry for planting the seed!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Legally they are sailing close to the wind if they don't fit a Tamiya Tiger,
I did notice in the small print "Minor Paint Damage" :shh:
Bearing in mind the minor issue we both suffered with an Asiatam Panzer 4 Metal hull (It was too long !!! ) your caution may well be justified.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Adam and Shaun, I'm just wondering whether these are simply the ones sold by Taigen? If so, I noticed that one contented Forgebear customer noted that he had fitted sets to three of his Tamiya Tigers.
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p2 ... grade.html (Review No. 2)
However, on Rcuniverse, a contributor stated that it was necessary to Dremel the axles to fit, as they were a tad too long.
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tan ... heels.html These were branded Tamytam.. but look the same as the Taigen/Asiatam ones.
That, in itself, would not be a problem. The diameter of the axles would be crucial.
Undersize, relative to the existing Tamiya arms, would require bushings. Oversize would require drilling the Tamiya arms out slightly. All do-able, yes, but a fair amount of work and swearing. Oversize would be easier to deal with.
I must compare a Tamiya axle to one fitted to the Taigen late model. :problem: That'll be the sensible recce approach :D Anyone have the relative dimensions to hand?
I see that Dominique has Guido's wheels for sale (I assume they're Guido's), even though his website lists them as 'ausverkauft' (sold out).
https://www.rctank.de/Tamiya-Tiger-I-La ... gs-in-1-16 They're highly desirable, yes; but at that price, I'd have to to sit staring at them for weeks on end, to fully appreciate and relish their qualities, and then justify such a whopping outlay. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I did similar with my 1946 Tamiya Jagdpanther that I put steel wheels on. I got MK Modellbau to make wheels to fit the panther using Tamiya King Tiger wheels. Probably less than half the cost of the henntec ones.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:I did similar with my 1946 Tamiya Jagdpanther that I put steel wheels on. I got MK Modellbau to make wheels to fit the panther using Tamiya King Tiger wheels. Probably less than half the cost of the henntec ones.
You do go the extra mile, Adam, in the quest to get the best spec. :thumbup: :D
Weren't all the late Panther, Tiger 1, and King Tiger wheels the same? There's an article on it here.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missing ... t7847.html
How did the KT wheels have to be adapted to fit your JP? Just revised axles?
I believe that Tamiya did once provide alloy wheels, as an option, years ago, but maybe I dreamt it. :problem: :D
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Revised axles and custom spacers for them, not a simple task, but undertaken by MK very well.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Im not familiar with the Tamiya Tiger suspension set up, but I made a set of Taigen late Tiger 1 roadwheels fit an H/L Panther(my Zu-Fuss) ages ago by machining a bit off the inner hub of some and spacing out others.
A Tamiya Tiger 1 done as a 'late' will be very rare and desirable.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Im not familiar with the Tamiya Tiger suspension set up, but I made a set of Taigen late Tiger 1 roadwheels fit an H/L Panther(my Zu-Fuss) ages ago by machining a bit off the inner hub of some and spacing out others.
A Tamiya Tiger 1 done as a 'late' will be very rare and desirable.
You and Adam, have just about convinced me to add a late Tamiya Tiger 1 to my elastic 'to do list', HB.. :D
The Tamiya axle is held in the swing arm by a grub screw. The Taigen/Asiatam version uses the same attachment method. If all the relative, and crucial, dimensions are the same (length of swing arm; distance between hull sides and inner wheels' edges, etc.,) a fit shouldn't be too problematic.
But then, we have the sprockets and idlers, to consider...and then not forgetting the tracks, of course. :think: Click to ENLARGE the photo
Tamiya Tiger 1 suspension configuration
Tamiya Tiger 1 suspension configuration

Return to “Show Off”