Rare Lindberg 1/35 M60, Tamiya plastic twin motor gearbox

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Rare Lindberg 1/35 M60, Tamiya plastic twin motor gearbox

Post by modler »

I built this model in 1986 as a scale static model because I did not possess the skill to motorize it at that time. Recently I bought a Tamiya plastic dual motor gearbox off ebay and realized it may fit this tank. This is one of the few 1/35 tank models that this particular Tamiya gearbox will fit in.

This model features a custom electronic engine governor which ramps down the throttle when coming to a stop. This gives a scale like speed and control to the Tank as opposed to the twin stick toy like control of some remote control systems.

Most of my models use electronic enhancements in the throttle and steering and are very scale like in their operation. No Bang Bang type of control here, that is for newbies lol :)

If any interest will add more pictures and information on this Rare Tank upgrade. I really don't think anyone has bothered to make this kit full RRC so this may be the only one around. The lower hull has a hole that is for mounting a gearbox so this kit may have had an option for a gearbox. I have never seen a Lindberg Tank gearbox but maybe they built them at some time as this tank was set up for a gearbox it seems.

At one time about 20 years ago this Tank was fitted with a Tamiya Sherman 1/35 all metal gearbox and that worked pretty good but then about 15 years ago that gearbox was removed and used in a 1/25 Tamiya Tiger Tank where it still remains today. This Tamiya gearbox from a Tamiya Bulldozer kit was fitted a few weeks ago and works like a charm. These gearboxes are still available and can be bought separately. They are a bit large for a 1/35 scale model but work in this M60 because it is a large Tank.
Attachments
Tamiya Bulldozer kit from which this gearbox came from.
Tamiya Bulldozer kit from which this gearbox came from.
27mhz Rx with a "speed governor" that gives very scale like throttle.
27mhz Rx with a "speed governor" that gives very scale like throttle.
inside view showing that sweet Tamiya gearbox. This one is from a Tamiya Bulldozer kit.
inside view showing that sweet Tamiya gearbox. This one is from a Tamiya Bulldozer kit.
These tracks are from a 1/25 scale Tamiya Centurion Mk 111. Old school plastic Individual link type track.
These tracks are from a 1/25 scale Tamiya Centurion Mk 111. Old school plastic Individual link type track.
This is a 1985 Vintage
This is a 1985 Vintage
Last edited by modler on Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Rare Lindberg 1/35 M60 with Tamiya twin motor gearbox

Post by Jimster »

Must take a lot of patience working in the smaller spaces available. I don’t think I could ever manage it. I have a hard enough time with 1/16 scale.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Hey Jimster, Yeah, it can be challenging at this scale and believe me, I have had enough failures at this over the years but like anything, if you keep trying you start to get results. I am not young and have been at this a long time (decades) lol. I feel fortunate to be able to share my efforts here. This hobby keeps me sane and focused on what I like, building and creating mechanical devises big and small. I also restore antique muscle cars and am just about to retire from that venture so this hobby keeps me busy and thinking about how the hell is that going to fit in there lol

Getting this large gearbox to fit is the same to me as stuffing a Max Wedge 413 RB motor in the 69 Charger. The Tank retrofit took longer lol.

As soon as I can I will post a video of this M60 in operation. The gearbox is very smooth and works very good even though it was used.
The Dozer kit did not work (ebay) as the switch box was worn out from use. The motors still work like new as does the gearbox. I will put the Dozer back in operation as these gearboxes are readily available on ebay.
Attachments
This is a 68 Charger from my car collection that may will be my last automotive restoration project.
This is a 68 Charger from my car collection that may will be my last automotive restoration project.
IMG_3729 (2).JPG (97.88 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Here is a vintage 69 Charger from my car collection
Here is a vintage 69 Charger from my car collection
IMG_3711.JPG (85.8 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

For the longest time I thought this Lindberg M60 was 1/32 scale or something because it seemed to big to be a 1/35 and I do not have the box anymore so can not look on the box to see what scale it is and so, recently, on ebay, I bid on a NOS 1/35 Tamiya motorized remote control M60 A2 model tank (it was not cheap) and after receiving it in the mail, opened the kit and marveled at this beautiful thing (not cute) :silent: I realised that my Lindberg model was the same scale! Nice :D
Attachments
These twin motor Tamiya kits are getting a little expensive but worth every penny IMO.
These twin motor Tamiya kits are getting a little expensive but worth every penny IMO.
IMG_3918.JPG (92.76 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Ah, there it is, the prized piece of model tank hardware, all metal twin motor gearbox, the holy grail of 1/35 scale Tamiya Tanks!
Ah, there it is, the prized piece of model tank hardware, all metal twin motor gearbox, the holy grail of 1/35 scale Tamiya Tanks!
IMG_3919.JPG (89.97 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Lindberg on the left, Tamiya on the right. Same scale 1/35
Lindberg on the left, Tamiya on the right. Same scale 1/35
IMG_3914.JPG (98.13 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Just got this a week ago from ebay. Love these things!
Just got this a week ago from ebay. Love these things!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Rare Lindberg 1/35 M60, Tamiya plastic twin motor gearbo

Post by lmcq11 »

FYI, the Lindberg kit is actually an M46 in 1/32 scale
Lindberg M46
Lindberg M46
Capture38.JPG (59.74 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
modler
Sergeant

Re: Rare Lindberg 1/35 M60, Tamiya plastic twin motor gearbo

Post by modler »

lmcq11 wrote:FYI, the Lindberg kit is actually an M46 in 1/32 scale
The attachment Capture38.JPG is no longer available
wow! a motorized version. Mine did not come with a gearbox but I can see where one could be installed.
Do you actually have this kit? I would love to see what the gearbox looks like :)

Yes I thought for years that this model was 1/32 scale but it looks the same size as the 1/35 Tamiya kit that I just got off ebay :think:

Maybe Lindberg got the scale wrong on the box? I will investigate further but they look the same scale to me.

edit. Ok after doing a search, The Lindberg M-46 "Patton" Tank came in at least 3 scales, 1/35, 1/32, 1/64 :think:

Ok I just noticed that my M46 has 5 road wheels, not 6 :S
Attachments
what? Lindberg 1/64 scale
what? Lindberg 1/64 scale
This one is 1/32 and has a single motor type gearbox.
This one is 1/32 and has a single motor type gearbox.
This Lindberg M-46 is a 1/35 scale.
This Lindberg M-46 is a 1/35 scale.
you can see here that the hull is about the same size even slightly longer. I thought this M46 was a M60 but now I can see the differences but the scale looks the same to me.
you can see here that the hull is about the same size even slightly longer. I thought this M46 was a M60 but now I can see the differences but the scale looks the same to me.
The turret from the Lindberg M46 fits the 1/35 Tamiya M60 hull so I would say that the Lindbergh Tank is 1/35.  Very weird.
The turret from the Lindberg M46 fits the 1/35 Tamiya M60 hull so I would say that the Lindbergh Tank is 1/35. Very weird.
IMG_3950.JPG (91.28 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”