Tamiya motorized 1/35 Semi Track Sd.Kfz7 >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Tamiya motorized 1/35 Semi Track Sd.Kfz7 >RRC

Post by modler »

You have to look close on the box to see it is motorized because that part is in Japanese. Anyway I never noticed this NO.33 kit before else I would have bought one a long time ago. I have a fascination with anything tracked and even better if it has front wheels and tracks. I think I remember seeing one of these vehicles in the movie "Dirty Dozen" It looks unstoppable in the movie 8)

I have just started to build it up and am impressed with the motorized section.

Video of the driveline running https://youtu.be/Qv9fJPvjdF4
Attachments
Road wheels are next.
Road wheels are next.
motor and transmission in working order
motor and transmission in working order
The motor was so old it would not run at first but after some coaching, it started to run and now seems fine.
The motor was so old it would not run at first but after some coaching, it started to run and now seems fine.
very nice kit!
very nice kit!
IMG_3866.JPG (98.06 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
says its motorized in Japanese lower right corner.
says its motorized in Japanese lower right corner.
Last edited by modler on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya kit NO.33 motorize 1/35 Semi Track Sd.Kfz7

Post by modler »

The chassis is now complete and running here https://youtu.be/L5T_AicHkwU.

I was worried that the model would have trouble steering due to the posi traction tracks (non differential) but apparently Tamiya took care of that problem in the chassis design. Even with the weight of the heavy battery over the tracks it seems to respond well to steering. My plane is to add a very small servo to the stock front end so that it is steerable via radio remote control. As it is now, the steering is adjusted manually for free run type operation as in the original design.
Attachments
This thing is sweet!
This thing is sweet!
Tracks installed and tested
Tracks installed and tested
ready to install tracks
ready to install tracks
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Cute, but still rich in detail :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Cute, but still rich in detail :thumbup:
cute? what does that mean? Small? Maybe I am wasting my time here as that is a condescending remark. I guess people here mostly care about 1/16 and larger models which I do not care for as they are too big IMO and take up too much room.

Most everything I post here gets the the same response pretty much with the word "cute" used. :-< I do not build "cute" models and here is a tip, that is an insult to me and my work. Maybe you guys talk to each other like that but I do not like it.

Becoming discouraged about posting anything further here.

Good Day

Modler out. :thumbdown:
Attachments
Oh it's very cute yes? To he$$ with cute!
Oh it's very cute yes? To he$$ with cute!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

I think it is cute too until you make it RC... i'm curious how you will make it steerable with servo.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I don’t think anyone means anything condescending by saying “cute”. It was surely intended to be a compliment and sometimes our fellow tankers from across the pond use terms that may be misleading in intent to us colonists. Your project is impressive with video and good photos. Please continue posting your build and Happy New Year!
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ok Jimster I will let it go as misinterpretation of the word "cute" as used here and thanks for the reply as this was really bothering me. To all my British friends here, I enjoy posting my model work here and would appreciate if you would be considerate and refrain from using the word "cute" I would remind you all that we live in a land here of the good bad and ugly in the States. "Cute" is a word we use when talking about babies or babes.

regards
modler
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

lmcq11 wrote:I think it is cute too until you make it RC... i'm curious how you will make it steerable with servo.
That is a good question mcq11 and one I was hoping someone would ask ;) I have only recently figured out how to do that in a reasonable manner. I have two other 1/35 factory motorized military model trucks that I added servo steering to. I think this may be the hardest part to making this scale model a full on RRC. A picture is worth a thousand words and I just did a servo steering mod on a Peerless Max M26 in the picture below.
Attachments
These are the smallest servos I have at this time and they are just about right for 1/35 scale model steering.
These are the smallest servos I have at this time and they are just about right for 1/35 scale model steering.
IMG_3913.JPG (73.72 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
IMG_3912.JPG
IMG_3912.JPG (90.04 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Here is the servo I will use. They came from Hobby King, Hong Kong.
Here is the servo I will use. They came from Hobby King, Hong Kong.
This is the first model that I have used these micro servos to add steering. I will use the same type servo on the Semi Track.
This is the first model that I have used these micro servos to add steering. I will use the same type servo on the Semi Track.
M26 motorized 1/35 Tractor with micro steering servo added using stock model front end parts
M26 motorized 1/35 Tractor with micro steering servo added using stock model front end parts
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

I doff my cap to you sir, I’ve just put servo steering on a 1/6 scale jeep & I thought that was hard work
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

8O I'm genuinely surprised that 'cute' seemed to cause such offence. I'm generally very careful about the words I choose. The adjective- 'cute' (originally from 'acute') means endearingly small, but attractive, in the Oxford Dictionary.
Your model is small by the 1/16 standards prevalent here, and it is decidedly attractive. :) How can that cause an upset? :problem:
Anyway, I wish you a Happy New Year; do keep posting, and perhaps try not to construe a compliment in a negative light, when it's given :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”