Tamiya 1/35 M113 APC motorized 1974 Vintage >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Tamiya 1/35 M113 APC motorized 1974 Vintage >RRC

Post by modler »

:crazy: :crazy: Tamiya scale series NO.41
This originally is a motorized single motor APC with on\off switch for forward direction motor control as from the factory in Japan in 1974.
In this thread the model is first setup in stock configuration but with a Radio Control forward\reverse with the single motor gearbox.

Then after chassis is running good with tracks staying on the model and such it will be converted to 2 channel dual motor Radio Remote Control.

Just got this a while ago. 1974 vintage kit. I had a tough time getting it to run because it came with the wrong gear box :-< I managed to modify the incorrect gearbox and got it going. These are very rare kits (#41) So I decided to keep it and work with what was there. While working with this kit that I noticed it had a date (1974) on the bottom of the hull. Surprised I never noticed these kits have a year code. Not all just ones from the 70's and maybe the 60's. I have two other Tamiya models with a 1970 year casting.

This is a single motor kit with on\off switch. My first Tamiya kit with single motor. I set it up with a RRC throttle in this video.

It is not finished yet just a running bare bones kit at this point. I may modify it into a dual motor RRC.

Video of this thing running.
https://youtu.be/H_lUSlChTdg

Sorry video was lost. I will do another and post it here ASAP.
Attachments
After a good amount of testing the Tracks\sprockets pass muster and work surprisingly well.
After a good amount of testing the Tracks\sprockets pass muster and work surprisingly well.
IMG_3862.JPG (82.15 KiB) Viewed 19207 times
Single motor motorized converted to radio control forward\reverse\stop. It is the beginning phase of this build to see if the tracks\sprockets are up to par. I will not go any further if they are not.
Single motor motorized converted to radio control forward\reverse\stop. It is the beginning phase of this build to see if the tracks\sprockets are up to par. I will not go any further if they are not.
IMG_3860.JPG (83.96 KiB) Viewed 19207 times
Very hard to find 1974 Vintage NO.41 kit shown here with the original single motor gearbox. This SM gearbox with the supplied on\off switch is  what Tamiya calls &quot;Motorized system&quot;. It is a very simple but very high quality system that uses a metal gearbox with metal gears and a on\off switch on the underside of the model. This allows the model to be switched on and it &quot;free runs&quot; forward. That is all we had in 1974!
Very hard to find 1974 Vintage NO.41 kit shown here with the original single motor gearbox. This SM gearbox with the supplied on\off switch is what Tamiya calls "Motorized system". It is a very simple but very high quality system that uses a metal gearbox with metal gears and a on\off switch on the underside of the model. This allows the model to be switched on and it "free runs" forward. That is all we had in 1974!
IMG_3859 (1).JPG (79.7 KiB) Viewed 19207 times
Last edited by modler on Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.
modler
Corporal

Re: Tamiya kit NO.41 motorize 1/35 M113 Personnel Carrier

Post by modler »

I bought this NATO M113 Track kit about 15 years ago and thought I could use them for something...Well, I can use them on this model as that is what they are for!

I think this track kit was for use on static model M113 but I will let everyone know if they actually work in a motorize version.
Attachments
M113 NATO Track kit. Scale individual link track kit.
M113 NATO Track kit. Scale individual link track kit.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Decided today to make this APC dual motor RRC. There are several ways to do this but Tamiya's all metal dual gearbox (GB) is the prefered way to go.
Attachments
Drive sprockets in the proper position for a track mount and drive test.
Drive sprockets in the proper position for a track mount and drive test.
IMG_3980.JPG (78.15 KiB) Viewed 19120 times
had to drill out the hub on the drive sprocket to size the axles, This makes the drive wheel more stable as well when the axle comes through the hub. These need a little trim.
had to drill out the hub on the drive sprocket to size the axles, This makes the drive wheel more stable as well when the axle comes through the hub. These need a little trim.
IMG_3978.JPG (75.32 KiB) Viewed 19120 times
With a little work, this dual motor GB from a Japan type 74 Tank fits the APC hull. Was not sure it would fit. There are two types of these, it has to do with how the drive axle is mounted, Hi or low. This one is low.
With a little work, this dual motor GB from a Japan type 74 Tank fits the APC hull. Was not sure it would fit. There are two types of these, it has to do with how the drive axle is mounted, Hi or low. This one is low.
Looking at all possibilities. Thought about converting single motor GB to dual, and that may still happen if the dual GB does not fit.
Looking at all possibilities. Thought about converting single motor GB to dual, and that may still happen if the dual GB does not fit.
Last edited by modler on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Well my dual motor conversion was a total success. The twin motor GB used came from a Tamiya 1/35 Japan type 90, I am just borrowing it for now I have had that model over 20 years and never finished it and I like this little APC right now :D

I will post a video of it ASAP. It works very well and I wonder if anyone else has converted one of these to twin motor GB. Probably not.

Anyway it will make a nice addition to my collection. I may put the single motor GB that came with the APC (M113) in something else. That GB was really for a M41 or M42 Tank and was the wrong GB for the M113.

The all metal gearbox used here is from vintage 1974 Tamiya Type 74 Tank and uses the round RE-140 motors. These are slightly more powerful than 130 motors. The RE-140 motors used in this project are special 6v low speed high torque series. Can not remember exactly where I got them.
Attachments
I took the GB apart thinking I was going to convert it to dual motor but that looks like an all day job. Decided to use a stock Low axle mount GB from one of my older models to get this one going quick lol.
I took the GB apart thinking I was going to convert it to dual motor but that looks like an all day job. Decided to use a stock Low axle mount GB from one of my older models to get this one going quick lol.
Here is the Single motor GB that came with the APC, it is the wrong one. It is a Hi mount axle type for M41,M42 TANK.
Here is the Single motor GB that came with the APC, it is the wrong one. It is a Hi mount axle type for M41,M42 TANK.
uses small 1s lipo. Not fast but very slow scale like speed. Perfect for table top operation. Uses 6v RE-140 motors.
uses small 1s lipo. Not fast but very slow scale like speed. Perfect for table top operation. Uses 6v RE-140 motors.
ready for a video Runs very well. Good track drive on this one.
ready for a video Runs very well. Good track drive on this one.
IMG_3986.JPG (92.05 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
track tensioner adjustment
track tensioner adjustment
IMG_3985.JPG (99.39 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
you can see the 2 types of what I call Hi\Low sprocket drive axle location GB, there are others but these types are the most common on Tamiya 1/35 scale
you can see the 2 types of what I call Hi\Low sprocket drive axle location GB, there are others but these types are the most common on Tamiya 1/35 scale
Last edited by modler on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Looking forward to the video. I haven’t seen much RC 1/35 armor but you are really good at it.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

More work done on the M113 APC. In this phase the body will be assembled along with the custom wiring using the factory on\off switch.

A 1s 130mah lipo will be used for power. 6v motors rewired with noise limiting capacitors and micro polarized connectors. 2 Channel 27mhz micro receiver with programmable throttle hold (analog).

With the twin motor GB, this will be a fully functional RRC APC with FWD,REV,L,R Steering with throttle hold timer for hands off operation with a setpoint via adjustable potentiometer on the TX.

This is a s far as I got today. More Tomorrow :wave:
Attachments
Testing the wiring and switch for proper operation and polarity. Green is a go!
Testing the wiring and switch for proper operation and polarity. Green is a go!
IMG_4019.JPG (95.89 KiB) Viewed 19075 times
trimming and fitting the battery box. It is a tight fit in here and need all the room I can get to fit the electronics. Next two drops of epoxy to hold the box in place. It could be removed if required later.
trimming and fitting the battery box. It is a tight fit in here and need all the room I can get to fit the electronics. Next two drops of epoxy to hold the box in place. It could be removed if required later.
this is the standard harness I use in most of my 1/35 scale. It connects a SPST (on\off) and a lipo to the PWM Receiver.
this is the standard harness I use in most of my 1/35 scale. It connects a SPST (on\off) and a lipo to the PWM Receiver.
Factory switch thought bottom of hull.
Factory switch thought bottom of hull.
Shown here in the on position.
Shown here in the on position.
IMG_4013.JPG (93.62 KiB) Viewed 19076 times
I will be using this switch as a power on switch for an external  1s lipo so the wiring reflects that. Shown here in the off position.
I will be using this switch as a power on switch for an external 1s lipo so the wiring reflects that. Shown here in the off position.
IMG_4012.JPG (96.43 KiB) Viewed 19076 times
Here is a picture of the Type 90 GB I used in the M113
Here is a picture of the Type 90 GB I used in the M113
The battery box is also the on\off switch and latch that holds on the top of the Hull.
The battery box is also the on\off switch and latch that holds on the top of the Hull.
Single motor GB is what came with the M113, I will recycle it into another model.
Single motor GB is what came with the M113, I will recycle it into another model.
dual motor GB just fits in this M113 APC with a little grinding and minor trimmings to the M113 hull.
dual motor GB just fits in this M113 APC with a little grinding and minor trimmings to the M113 hull.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I believe you have the dark arts of the RC 1/35 armor mastered. I’ve watched some YouTube videos in 1/35 and I’m impressed. Carry on!
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Jimster wrote:I believe you have the dark arts of the RC 1/35 armor mastered. I’ve watched some YouTube videos in 1/35 and I’m impressed. Carry on!
Thank you Sir, I have been working with this scale for a long time and have only recently went to a new level in my work on RRC 1/35. This little Bug is one of my favorites and is in the top 2 models 1/35 I have built. I like the hidden factory switch that allows me to power up at any time and leave the lipo cell in the model. This APC uses so little current that it can run off the tiny 1s lipo for a good while. this keeps the APC lite weight and will last a good while before any work needs done. I have had ones like this run 20+ years without a breakdown. Of course my 1/35 models don't play in the dirt or outside at all. They are just too fragile for that type of operation. However, they can be run in a very small space. Nice for rainy days and mondays.

I did some video of the APC running up a 30° incline bridge but decided to finish the model aesthetically before posting a video. Got most of it done today and now trying to figure out which decal set to go with. I am favoring the German decals on this one.

Here is a short video of the M113 on my workbench. https://youtu.be/4hFd8mnA5OI

This model runs slow and scale like due to the 6v motors. With Stock 3v motors, it would be twice the speed or more. The motors can be changed out and if fact, the whole model comes apart quite easily for service\repair if needed.

Its small and scale like in speed so it can be run in a very small space. This thing is now my favorite little bug :)
Attachments
I am liking the German decal set for this one.
I am liking the German decal set for this one.
IMG_4049.JPG
IMG_4049.JPG (98.23 KiB) Viewed 19042 times
IMG_4048.JPG
IMG_4048.JPG (92.94 KiB) Viewed 19042 times
mostly done except decals
mostly done except decals
Last edited by modler on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That has better slow speed track control than some 1/16 stuff I’ve seen! I vote for the German decals.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I just ordered another one except the newest one is not motorized and I have a few ideas for that.
Attachments
Never hurts to have a spare or in other words, I am a model Tank junkie lol
Never hurts to have a spare or in other words, I am a model Tank junkie lol

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”