Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw motorized 1/35 >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw motorized 1/35 >RRC

Post by modler »

Ok, I been holding out on my favorite military model. My wife does not like it and thinks I should get rid of it but that is not going to happen :D

It comes with 3 axles, a driver, 5 passengers. Oh, did I mention it is motorized?

Not only is it motorized but it has a all metal gearbox with 130 motor with drive shaft.

?/LT is the name of the Japanese company that made it. Instructions are in Japanese. Still sealed in its original packaging with original box.

This unusual model will be built first as intended as a motorized, manual steering position, on\off switch controlled scale model :think:

Phase 2.... Convert manual steering position front axle to PWM proportional Radio Controlled steering using the stock plastic front end with a micro servo added with the least amount of modification to the stock front end and or chassis.

Phase 3...Add PWM proportional motor control thus converting the model to 2 channel PWM proportional Radio Remote Control.
Attachments
Tokyo Marui 1975
Tokyo Marui 1975
Last edited by modler on Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw

Post by lmcq11 »

I have one too, a favorite in a model collection.

But now you can also get a 1/18 scale version of the vehicle from Signature Model for about the same price, with potential for a more complete RC conversion.
Mercedes G4 1/18
Mercedes G4 1/18
mercedes.png (160.44 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

lmcq11 wrote:I have one too, a favorite in a model collection.

But now you can also get a 1/18 scale version of the vehicle from Signature Model for about the same price, with potential for a more complete RC conversion.
mercedes.png
The 1/35 scale is easy to store and display and I like the challenge of a 1/35 r\c convention. the 1/18 is just too big but looks nice. I live in a apartment and space is at a premium. I have had to put most of my larger models in storage and that sucks.

Also the 1/35 scale model is already motorized with a gearbox etc. That makes things pretty convenient 8)
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Last edited by modler on Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Last edited by modler on Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I want to build this model and make it RRC. My modeling skills are up to the task but I really like that it is an untouched kit 8) I rarely saw these kits back in the old days and did not even know this particular one existed. Motorized scale model kits were rare even back in the old days and are next to impossible to find now. :D

HOGAN'S HEROES TV SHOW HAS ONE!
Since I got this model in early December of this year, I now have my eye out for them apparently as I was was scanning the TV the other night and saw the intro to "Hogan's Heroes" TV show and for the first time in 50+ years, noticed the Vermark Military vehicle shown in the opening of the show is a 3 axle Mercedes Benz! Somehow I never noticed that 3rd axle as the vehicle traverses the opening scenes of the show. It drives toward the viewer at an angle that shows the dual rear axles! I can not believe that I never noticed that before :O
Attachments
This has to be the most interesting motorized scale model kit ever made!
This has to be the most interesting motorized scale model kit ever made!
IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3818.JPG
IMG_3816.JPG
IMG_3815.JPG
IMG_3815.JPG (96.73 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
IMG_3814.JPG
IMG_3813.JPG
IMG_3811.JPG
IMG_3811.JPG (78.6 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
modler
Corporal

Re: Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw motorized 1/35 model

Post by modler »

Last edited by modler on Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

The car (I believe it's the same one as used in Hogan's Heroes) was also used in one of my favorite movies: "The Secret War of Harry Frigg" with Paul Newman.

I think I read somewhere that there are only four left in existence, which - since they only built 50-something of them - is a pretty good ratio. (At least compared to the Tiger I, in which there are only five left, out of more than 1300 built).

I would LOVE to see a printed version that would fit all the 1/16 truck stuff that has come out in the past couple of years. I would jump on that in a heartbeat!
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

sassgrunt wrote:The car (I believe it's the same one as used in Hogan's Heroes) was also used in one of my favorite movies: "The Secret War of Harry Frigg" with Paul Newman.

I think I read somewhere that there are only four left in existence, which - since they only built 50-something of them - is a pretty good ratio. (At least compared to the Tiger I, in which there are only five left, out of more than 1300 built).

I would LOVE to see a printed version that would fit all the 1/16 truck stuff that has come out in the past couple of years. I would jump on that in a heartbeat!
Yes I have noticed all the chinese 1/16 stuff available now and that makes it more interesting for some. I started my collection long ago and this new wave of 1/16 scale does not appeal to me in the least. I am not here to have my collection compared to 1/16. I get it, 1/16 is popular and easy to work with compared to smaller scales. Do people here not realise how annoying it is to have everything I post be compared to 1/16 scale? I mean we have a saying here and it involves a character named "Captain Obvious", Savvy?

I present models here mostly in 1/35 scale as a compliment to your 1/16 scale work and would appreciate respect for my work in that lesser scale and not be constantly compared to 1/16. I realise I am a guest here at this interesting site and I am here to add to that interest is my intent.

Oh, my first and last 1/16 scale model was a Tamiya Leopard single motor Tank with a "tiller arm" for steering. Somewhere I still have the gearbox for it. It was reconfigured and used in a LINDBERG PT-109 BOAT. I still have it somewhere. Anyway I was into 1/16 back in 1981 and it has come and gone for me. I present work here that is different and smaller in scale therefore allowing more variety in my collection just by sheer numbers in my collection which would not be practical in a larger scale.

regards
modler.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw motorized 1/35 model kit

Post by jimbo_wa »

Have you any further updates with this, would be great to see its progress?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”