Leningrad Tiger

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Leningrad Tiger

Post by Jimster »

Well, I actually got everything painted and installed over the last two nights and for the most part it was simple. One disappointment was the fact that the metal mounting plate did not fit the turret. I had to remove a section from the rear of the plate that stuck out too far. Then I discovered that only one of the three holes lined up and I had to drill new holes for the other two screws. No biggie but it was a surprise. The metal mantlet is nice but difficult to remove the driver side raised reinforcement ridge as the initial production Tiger did not have that. A Dremel tool and files were used. Other than that it was a simple matter of soldering a couple of wires and rearranging some wires in the three pin plug. The metal muzzle brake, barrel and mantlet bring the weight up to 14.5 pounds. I might add a small lead weight in the rear of the turret but I’m not sure it’s necessary.
The best part.......this set-up is totally awesome to watch! I love the flash and the solid, well timed recoil looks more realistic to me than the servo push/pull wire. I do NOT miss the lame airsoft BB feature. The Clark website had instructions on how to wire it up. Hell, if a newbie like me can do it, anybody can.
I’ll make a little video sometime this weekend to show it off.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It has become very obvious over time that you are a stickler for accuracy so with that in mind I imagine that the gunners protruding binocular sight will be reduced so that it is flush with the main gun mantlet,
If you do decide to file it flat you should be aware that the metal is very thin and may need filling. :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jimster,
I used this type of unit for the StuG 111 Ausf B build a few years back. They have upgraded it even more by using LEDs, I see. The bright flash and cannon 'KRAK' are highly desirable to have. Really adds to the realism factor.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Yes and yes. I did file that flat and I did have to use putty to fill in a bit of a cavity. It was the most time consuming part of the install.
The muzzle flash is indeed awesome. It’s also fires instantaneously with the push of the trigger instead of the wind up of the airsoft mechanism. This has been a win win upgrade.
I wish I could upgrade the turret rotation gearing to be more precise and not so sloppy. Any ideas?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Just a couple more fun shots taken this evening. I imagine it sitting on the outskirts of Leningrad, ready to resume operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

c.rainford73 wrote:I see that you have converted to the dark side.... I've a few bb models but my collection is primarily IR and recoil capable. I think it does add a level of realism to my models.

Watching your progress. You may be able to do a detailed conversion if you have time, so other members of the forum who are not sure how to do this can watch your install.
This would be a definitely need to watch conversion! :thumbup:
Carry on Jimster :clap: :
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Beautiful sunset this chilly evening so I thought I would enjoy some backyard tank maneuvers. Here’s a Tiger creeping closer to his position near Leningrad.
:{ Sorry folks, I just realized these are similar to previous photos but I prefer this lighting and the shadow of the exhaust flapper at the bottom of the turret rear.

Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Looks beautiful boss, really effective lighting.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Beautiful :thumbup:
If ever you wonder if there is an advantage in fitting metal tracks you only have to see this photograph, You would be hard pressed to get that kind of sag in a plastic track,
We all have a favourite Tank in our collection and while we never really finish them we sometimes can find ourselves gazing at it remembering how we worked out how to fix a particular problem and thinking how one day I shall have to fix this or that and then smiling in the knowledge that we probably never will.
And while your partner will kindly say "Very nice dear" They just don't understand what that particular build means to you. :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Show Off”