My first attempt ever at an r/c tank

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Electricdemon66
Recruit

My first attempt ever at an r/c tank

Post by Electricdemon66 »

So I've only just got into rc tanks and started off with a Taigen Tiger 1. Got it into my head that I wanted to TRY and make it look like how Tiger 131 would have done when it was in action. Please note I did say TRY, I am a complete noob at this and I know it's not 100% accurate but I'm still learning and it's not finished yet. I would of loved an airbrush kit before I started this but couldn't afford a decent one so hand brushing just had to make do. I'm not the most patient of people so this new hobby has had a steep learning curve for me.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: My first attempt ever at an r/c tank

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It might be an idea to rotate the pics before posting them, as it's not possible to do it by clicking on them. :| At my age, neckache doesn't go away all that easily. :lolno:
Still, from what I've seen lying sideways, you've done a pretty good job of replicating 131- even down to the hint of two-tone camo the real 131 has, when examined with a critical eye. :thumbup: :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Electricdemon66
Recruit

My mistake, uploaded them using my phone and forgot to rotate them lol
Electricdemon66
Recruit

I think they should be the right way up now so no neck ache for anyone ! LolImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Not a bad attempt at all 8) I do like the exhaust covers in particular.
I'd suggest looking into an airbrush tho - even a cheapy starter set off Ebay is going to be serviceable for this scale.
Electricdemon66
Recruit

I really had no clue what I was doing on those exhausts!
Was just sat in the man cave one afternoon, experimenting with this and that, quite pleased with how they turned out!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Please don't take the following remarks as bad mouthing your efforts, They are based on an old mans experience of going down this well worn path before you.
The Tow ropes on the "Early" Tiger Tank Body were reversed,
131 because it was one of the first 50 Tiger 1s in Tunisia while it is not an easy fix because the material is too thin and will need filling the gunners binocular sight in the turret was flat and did not protrude as the later "Early" Tiger 1s And 131 did not have its Headlights mounted on the body, They were carried internally and fitted when needed, Also you rightly fitted the grab handle for mounting the Tank but you forgot the Step,
This arrangement did not last long because those cheeky Russians would make use of the helpful step and handle and do all manner of harm to the vehicle :shh:
BUT saying all that I like what you have done,
If you want to address the fixtures and fittings of "Early" Tiger 1s there is a plethora of books and online Forums that will help you :thumbup:
.One of the best sources of reference for 131 in particular is "HAYNES TIGER TANK Owners Workshop Manual",
It was written by amongst others the Curator of Bovington Tank Museum, The present home of 131.
Last edited by jarndice on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

I really had no clue what I was doing on those exhausts!
Was just sat in the man cave one afternoon, experimenting with this and that, quite pleased with how they turned out!
Sometimes happy accidents happen :haha:
Electricdemon66
Recruit

Not at all Jarndice, like I said I know it's not 100% accurate. I found the Haynes Tiger manual in a book shop the other day.
I'm not quite sure how to go about adding the step! I only left the headlights on as I wasnt sure what the policy was when going to the Grantham meet about other people being able to tell when the model was turned on or off so I thought I best leave them on. So that and the gunners sight I will get around to. I was maybe abit too keen to get it up and running to take to my first club meet but what do ya expect I'm a noobie lol.
I'm not wanting to compete with some of the awesomely detailed vehicles I've seen on here so I'm just happy not to get any "That's crap" remarks lol.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Electricdemon66 wrote: I only left the headlights on as I wasnt sure what the policy was when going to the Grantham meet about other people being able to tell when the model was turned on or off so I thought I best leave them on.
You're good, we don't have any rules beyond "no BB's" and "having fun is mandatory" 8)

Return to “Show Off”