Heng Long Tiger II Production Turret in-depth review

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Heng Long Tiger II Production Turret in-depth review

Post by Jimster »

Excellent review. The attractive price of my HL Tiger is what got me started in this hobby. Making it better is the fun part!
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Jimster wrote:The attractive price of my HL Tiger is what got me started in this hobby.
Same with me, and I'm willing to bet many, many others.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Wardog wrote:If you take of the idlers and slip the track of,you can get to the hidden screws no problem.
Yep, but that's not really a needed step. You can sorta get to them without removing the tracks and idlers as well.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
Jim Reeves
Recruit

Post by Jim Reeves »

Well said review Lert. You will find (if you haven't already) that this newer 5.3S, 2.4 gHz radio system and the previous 5.3 with the silver label MPU offer the gun elevation up/down function on the left stick with the irritating clutch system as an improvement over the cycling function of the 5.2 system. This is because they have molded stops into the old-style elevation gearbox on both the inner case and the bevel gear which stops the cycling. With judicious use of a dremel grinder or laborious work with a file these stops can be removed. The benefit is that both up and down of the left stick responds as expected, or continuous up or down will give you cycling with no nasty clutch noise!

It still remains a mystery as to what the difference is when comparing the 5.3S gold label MPU system to the 5.3 silver label system. Both offer the same functionality, but they are NOT compatible.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Jimster wrote:The attractive price of my HL Tiger is what got me started in this hobby. Making it better is the fun part!
Exactly. How many people wouldn't be in our beautiful hobby if not for cheap, knock-off chinese toys?
Jim Reeves wrote:Well said review Lert. You will find (if you haven't already) that this newer 5.3S, 2.4 gHz radio system and the previous 5.3 with the silver label MPU offer the gun elevation up/down function on the left stick with the irritating clutch system as an improvement over the cycling function of the 5.2 system. This is because they have molded stops into the old-style elevation gearbox on both the inner case and the bevel gear which stops the cycling. With judicious use of a dremel grinder or laborious work with a file these stops can be removed. The benefit is that both up and down of the left stick responds as expected, or continuous up or down will give you cycling with no nasty clutch noise!

It still remains a mystery as to what the difference is when comparing the 5.3S gold label MPU system to the 5.3 silver label system. Both offer the same functionality, but they are NOT compatible.
Thank you, some good info there.
Robert45
Recruit

Post by Robert45 »

Since I am very new to this hobby, other than getting a HL Panther A 5 years ago and just letting it sit. I wish I had read something like you wrote last December when I started getting sucked into this self torture.

The HL electronics in-compatibility really bugs me. I have been frustrated so many times because HL does not seem to list anywhere what electrically fits what. Thank god for the smart people who post schematics and wiring diagrams.

Better motors, better speakers, better hulls, better turrets, better receivers, better transmitters, etc are all available from Tamiya, Taigen, or Mato BUT all of it costs $$$$$$$$'s and there seems to be NEVER any guarantee as to form, fit, or function.

As to the smokers, I agree, JUNK! The smoke looks like smoke from a bong! I think my state legalized marijauna oil so perhaps I could load that.....LOL

As to the Airsoft bb function: at least the HL tank can shoot something.

But when I get a HL tank that performs as expected after hours of adding metal tracks, metal road wheels, metal suspension, heavy duty springs, etc, I am soooooo happy!

Return to “Show Off”