1\18 SD KF2 Halftrack 21ST Century converted to RC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

1\18 SD KF2 Halftrack 21ST Century converted to RC

Post by modler »

I converted this Halftrack about 20 years ago. It is due for a radio update but still works good just not great range.
It features Digital Proportional steering and throttle and has a live rear axle configuration to aid in steering. The stock wheels do all the steering.

I will do a "ramp video" of this vehicle when I get a chance. Need to get a 2 cell lipo charged up for this one. :)
Attachments
1\18 VS 1\35 halftracks
1\18 VS 1\35 halftracks
IMG_1920.JPG (94.93 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
1\18 VS 1\35 halftracks
1\18 VS 1\35 halftracks
IMG_1918.JPG (78.1 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
IMG_1908.JPG
IMG_1908.JPG (65.06 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
strait axle has good deflection.
strait axle has good deflection.
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG (89.84 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
This is my favorite model soldier ever.
This is my favorite model soldier ever.
IMG_1889.JPG (80.57 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
original box
original box
IMG_1887.JPG
square4
Lance Corporal

Re: 1\18 SD KF2 Halftrack 21ST Century converted to RRC

Post by square4 »

Nice work, looking forward to see it running. :clap: :clap:
I never finish anyth
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

You told us fibs, you said you didn't have room for large scale ;)

But I'm glad to see this, I do hope you converted this with readily available goodies :D
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Always wanted to see one of these in action. It's really impressive :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

square4 wrote:Nice work, looking forward to see it running. :clap: :clap:

Ok, I just figured out it runs best with a 5 cell ni-mh battery. It was jittery with the 2s lipo.

here is a short ramp climb video

https://youtu.be/XJugfVA__Os

Here is another hot off the ramp

https://youtu.be/DIazcj0To0M
Attachments
Twin 130 motors are under the hood.
Twin 130 motors are under the hood.
IMG_1895.JPG (81.06 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:You told us fibs, you said you didn't have room for large scale ;)

But I'm glad to see this, I do hope you converted this with readily available goodies :D
I forgot this machine and was looking through my collection when I realized this may be something of interest on this site. It is too big IMO and I rarely run it. I have had it so long I just don't think about it but am happy to share it here. I must admit it is very robust compared to my beloved 1\35 scale models and runs SUPER! :D

I will share more on it as I get time.

This thing has very good tracks and drive sprockets\road wheels. I have owned it over 20 years and the tracks have not aged much if any. It has never thrown a track, I have run it outside in the dirt many times years ago. I will dig up a video if I can find it from that time.

I used a Toy Tank drive line for the dual motor track drive. The steering is from from Toy grade radio control truck. Steering is done by a standard HG servo. Speed control is a modified servo amp with a bridge drive from a Jeep toy. You can buy an ESC now for $5 lol. Back when this was built, radio control electronics were still expensive.

The toy's that I scavanged parts from plus the two servo's cost $75. The model cost $20. So the whole project cost about $100. That was a lot 20 years ago but I think was well worth the money to build.

I will get some pictures of the elements used when time permits.
Attachments
Hobart would like this mobile bridge test ramp.
Hobart would like this mobile bridge test ramp.
Last edited by modler on Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

c.rainford73 wrote:Always wanted to see one of these in action. It's really impressive :thumbup:
Yes I always wanted to see one in action myself so I converted this sweet static model to RRC. It has very high quality tracks, drive sprockets, road wheels and is held together with screws so that it comes apart with a little persuasion 8) This is the largest scale military model (hobby grade) that I have in my collection.

Edit 7.10.22
sorry these videos are not available, I will redo them asap

:)
Attachments
IMG_1900.JPG
Last edited by modler on Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Very nice modler, you've done a great job with the Rc conversion :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Very nice modler, you've done a great job with the Rc conversion :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Well, I did not spend a lot of time on the conversion and it is crude visually and does not look stock in any way when examined up close. I used what I had laying around and maybe have $100 in the whole deal. I have seen the work here and you all do things much more sophisticated than I in terms of scale appearance and such I mean with drive shaft u-joints and the like which this model has nothing of the sort lol. I think I threw this together in 3 days spare time about 20 some years ago. I used toy grade hardware for the steering and track drives and even the radio gear which is at least Digital Proportional. I probably will not feature any of the inner workings as they are not up to par with what I have seen on this site. However, this setup is quite robust and reliable and has never failed to perform. I literally took it off the shelf that it was sitting on for a good while and put it to work in the videos I posted. No prep or special handling just slammed it into action ;) The outside is completely stock with no mods. I wish I could take credit for the way its detailed and painted but can not as that is the way it came out of the box. I have something like 250+ radio remote control vehicles and aircraft and not a great deal of time to play with them. I am spread pretty thin so variety compromises any one model in my collection as I bounce around from one to the next... Joy :D
Attachments
Twin 130 motors wired in series provide power to the tracks via a twin gearbox. Modified brass sleeved drive sprockets with locking collars (fully removable and serviceable driveline) couple power from gearbox to tracks.
Twin 130 motors wired in series provide power to the tracks via a twin gearbox. Modified brass sleeved drive sprockets with locking collars (fully removable and serviceable driveline) couple power from gearbox to tracks.
checking under the hood.
checking under the hood.
IMG_1966.JPG (86.06 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
Both Arms, Shoulders, Legs, Hips, Neck have movable joints for posing the soldier.
Both Arms, Shoulders, Legs, Hips, Neck have movable joints for posing the soldier.
IMG_1945.JPG (80.4 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
$20 model from Toys R US. They probably cost a bit more now lol.
$20 model from Toys R US. They probably cost a bit more now lol.
IMG_1923.JPG (90.53 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Last edited by modler on Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:You told us fibs, you said you didn't have room for large scale ;)

This is the largest military model in my collection for sure. I used to have a 1/16 Tamiya Leopard years ago and I ran it into the ground. Took the gearbox out then modified it for a twin prop PT boat. I still have the boat but the Leopard Tank got lost in the moving shuffle in the 80's. Anyway below is a picture of the gear box used in the Halftrack.
Attachments
This came out of a goofy looking tank Toy. I bought two of them just to get the gearbox's back in the old days. I will if I can find a  picture of the Toy. It had rubber tracks. I am trying to find those too.
This came out of a goofy looking tank Toy. I bought two of them just to get the gearbox's back in the old days. I will if I can find a picture of the Toy. It had rubber tracks. I am trying to find those too.
IMG_1983.JPG (65.87 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
here is the dual motor gear box used in the build. It uses twin 130 motors. I will assemble this unit back with motors and update the picture.
here is the dual motor gear box used in the build. It uses twin 130 motors. I will assemble this unit back with motors and update the picture.
IMG_1982.JPG (78.34 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
Here is what it looked like new.
Here is what it looked like new.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”