1\18 SD KF2 Halftrack 21ST Century converted to RC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Re: 1\18 SD KF2 Halftrack 21ST Century converted to RRC

Post by modler »

The gear box shown below is the one used in this half track and I realized I should put my spare GB together so all the parts for it are in one place. As seen in the videos posted of the Halftrack in action, this GB is ideal for this Half track and should I build another and I might the next one would be even better. Still looking for the vehicle this came out of. This thing comes apart real easy and uses screws to hold it together. It is an excellent gear box.

video repost here

https://youtu.be/XJugfVA__Os

https://youtu.be/DIazcj0To0M
Attachments
ready to install in the next model.
ready to install in the next model.
IMG_2001.JPG (68.51 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
IMG_1999.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG (62.94 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
twin 130 6v motors added and tested. work good as new.
twin 130 6v motors added and tested. work good as new.
IMG_1997.JPG (66.23 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
getting ready for reassembly
getting ready for reassembly
IMG_1995.JPG (77.7 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Conan_the_Hungarian
Recruit

Post by Conan_the_Hungarian »

Absolutely gorgeous work Modler!

Question for you: I have this halftrack, and was wondering if you think a Mato 1/16 scale Pz III gearbox and motors would fit in it?
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

I have a small collection of 1/18 armor, Seeing this conversion has my mind racing with ideas and questions about how to do this with other vehicles. I will hold questions for now, as it seems like you are answering them with each post. Thank you for sharing this.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Conan_the_Hungarian wrote:Absolutely gorgeous work Modler!

Question for you: I have this halftrack, and was wondering if you think a Mato 1/16 scale Pz III gearbox and motors would fit in it?
It is a tight fit in there. you can see the size of the gearbox next to the 9v motor. its pretty small and was difficult to fit in that small space. I have my doubts that a 1/16 scale GB would work.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Ok the time has come to upgrade the radio system in this model. I also will be changing the track drive from "Live axle" to "track assist turning".

The only radio part that will be reused is the steering servo, everything else is OUT :O

A modern receiver and twin ESC's, one for each track will be used along with a computer Transmitter that has mixing and a memory model slot will be used.

Back in the "old days" of radio control, if you wanted to reverse a servo with out taking it apart and rewiring it (5 wires), you could use a "servo reverse" board to do the job. seems crazy now as you can do that with a flip of a switch or push of a button on a computer TX with a screen.
Attachments
The new electronics VS a "servo reverser"
The new electronics VS a "servo reverser"
wow this is some old gear from the 80's. Still works good but impossible to work with compared to what we have today.
wow this is some old gear from the 80's. Still works good but impossible to work with compared to what we have today.
IMG_8610.jpg (73.59 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
Model disassembled for the big radio upgrade. No dual rates, Expo, travel, sub trim, reverse setting available with this rig lol
Model disassembled for the big radio upgrade. No dual rates, Expo, travel, sub trim, reverse setting available with this rig lol
IMG_8609.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
Trora
Corporal

Post by Trora »

Hey

Looks great and a big like from me :)

Plan the same proyect with two SdKfz 251 , i have 3D printed tracks , your tracks ?

Regards Ralf
Would like to go home
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Trora wrote:Hey

Looks great and a big like from me :)

Plan the same proyect with two SdKfz 251 , i have 3D printed tracks , your tracks ?

Regards Ralf

The tracks I am using came with the model. It is a Century 21 model Hanomag and the tracks are quite excellent. I have never thrown a track on this model in the 20 years I have owned it.

3D printed tracks you say, very cool. Are they individual track links that you assemble? I just realized tracks like those would be a nice upgrade.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I wired the Halftrack for 3 channel with new DSM2 radio and have started working on the dual track to steering mixing and so far not seeing much benefit as far as turning radius is concerned. This half track has long tracks and that may have something to do with it.

I did get quite a bit more steering from the servo as I was able to crank the servo travel to 150 vs 100. That made a huge difference in the turning radius. I am still working on it and will post results here. Any comments or suggestions are welcome in this and any other thread I have here.

So far the mixing setup is Elevon wing mixing on elevator. aileron channels drive the two ESC's with the third channel Rudder controlling the steering servo. Another mix is Aileron to Rudder. This basically acts like a live axle but with more control on the trimming between the 3 channels. Not sure it is worth the added complexity at this point.

So far I would say the wired "twin motor live axle mod" works pretty good and only requires one ESC but I am still testing and will keep the thread updated with new info.
Attachments
IMG_8614.JPG
IMG_8613.JPG
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Ok I just figured something out and eliminated the Elevon mixing and used a total of 5 mixies to come up with something that looks promising. I am using the Gear and AUX1 channels so a 6 channel Receiver is required. This new configuration does decrease the turning radius and can even "drag a track" in the turn for sharpest turn. Having some minor reverse issues but early in the game here.

This is a new configuration that may prove interesting 8)
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

After testing the new radio setup in the Hanomag HT, noticed a noise in the right gearbox. Sounds like a broken tooth but could be something else. So did a complete tear down of the model and removed the right gearbox cover and after inspecting the gears found plastic particles in the gear teeth so cleaned both sides out and lubed then reassembled gearbox and bench test looks good. So maybe that is fixed. Will reassemble the model and try again.

Update. Model is back together and works very well with the Track\+wheel steering mod works excellent.

short Video showing the improved turning radius with the active track\wheel steering
https://youtu.be/CAG_gkf-4MY
Attachments
ready for reassembly
ready for reassembly
IMG_8618.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 959 times
everything looks good now
everything looks good now
IMG_8617.jpg (97.05 KiB) Viewed 959 times
plastic particles found their way in here causing a skip in the gear noise.
plastic particles found their way in here causing a skip in the gear noise.
first teardown in nearly 20 years.
first teardown in nearly 20 years.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”