Peerless Max Dragon Wagon M26-M15-A1 1/35 motorized >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
Evill
Recruit

Re: Dragon Wagon M26-M15-A1 + Sherman 1/35 motorized RRC

Post by Evill »

Thanks for answering so fast.
I got the kit at EBAY, it consists of two tractor units, a trailer, already assembled and a complete kit in its new box, but without instructions. I try to find the instructions, but if I don't succeed, I don't think it's very difficult to build it.
Thanks for your effort.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Peerless Max Dragon Wagon M26-M15-A1 1/35 motorized >RRC

Post by modler »

In this thread I talk about and show a Peerless Max M26 - M15-A1 used Tractor trailer from ebay that I recently acquired for a very reasonable price. After bringing that model back to life by converting to DSM2 RRC and fixing most of the things broken on it I realized that my original P-Max needs some cosmetic work. I had modified the back of the cab area to allow for a servo installation years ago when servos were still quite large. I never realised how bad that looked until I had both sitting next to each other. I somehow still had some of the parts for the original P-Max to reinstall.

Below are some pictures showing the progress of this P-Max#1 retrofit.

On the screen display of my Dx6i, the model memorie for this model is P-Max #2. So I have two DSM2 RRC P-Max models in running condition and I will feature both here as soon as I have the bugs and retrofit completed. Because they are Both DSM2, I can run them together sequentially using the same Transmitter and if the Tanks on the M-15-A1 trailers are also DSM2, they can all be run sequentially with the same Transmitter!

This DSM sequential model operation is something I have been thinking about for awhile now and I have already done it with other models with control of 2 models but then I realised I could have as many models available to run that is only limited by the number of memories available in the Transmitter.

So I plan on running both P-Max models and both Tanks that are on the trailers for a total of 4 models to be run sequentially with the same TX with the ability to switch to any of the four models at any time simply by selecting the models memorie number on the Transmitter and downloading its data on the TX to run it. I may do a seperate thread on this model running theory as I have not fully exploited its potential and options yet.

P-Max #1 has a custom all metal 4WD gearbox (rebuilt\modified from the original steel gearbox frame) with Mabuchi 130 motor that recently was reinstalled as it was finally perfected. It is a very smooth drive unit with super low speed throttle resolution that I have always wanted from this model When backing up with a Tank load, load speed resolution is a must for realistic operation. This model runs on a 1s lipo.

P-Max #2 has the original 2WD metal gearbox unit with original Mabuchi 140-RH motor. This model runs off a 2s lipo.
Attachments
I will be able to operate all 4 of the models sequentially with one Transmitter simply by selecting the model number on the screen of the Dx6i which has "model match" based on model memorie number. The original intention was to make sure only the correct setting get used for a given model thus avoiding accidental crash due to wrong memories setting being used. It can also be used for the purpose outlined in this post.
I will be able to operate all 4 of the models sequentially with one Transmitter simply by selecting the model number on the screen of the Dx6i which has "model match" based on model memorie number. The original intention was to make sure only the correct setting get used for a given model thus avoiding accidental crash due to wrong memories setting being used. It can also be used for the purpose outlined in this post.
Both M26 and M15-A1 models are back in service and ready to haul some Tanks!
Both M26 and M15-A1 models are back in service and ready to haul some Tanks!
IMG_4752.JPG (90.75 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Original P-Max #1 free standing info display sign, Hard to believe I managed to keep this intact with the model for 42 years! I am a  pro hoarder lol.
Original P-Max #1 free standing info display sign, Hard to believe I managed to keep this intact with the model for 42 years! I am a pro hoarder lol.
IMG_4748.JPG (90.12 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
P-Max #1 is the first military model RRC model I ever converted to RRC. 40 some years later, I retrofit P-Maz #2, a used ebay model to RRC.
P-Max #1 is the first military model RRC model I ever converted to RRC. 40 some years later, I retrofit P-Maz #2, a used ebay model to RRC.
IMG_4746.JPG (82.13 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Found some of the original pieces that were removed for the "box mod" and reinstalled them. Very satisfying to  find these pieces in my parts bins that were removes decades ago.
Found some of the original pieces that were removed for the "box mod" and reinstalled them. Very satisfying to find these pieces in my parts bins that were removes decades ago.
IMG_4742.JPG (96.15 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Structural strength restored and now some cosmetic work to do. I have owned this model 42 years and its age is showing much like its owner lol.
Structural strength restored and now some cosmetic work to do. I have owned this model 42 years and its age is showing much like its owner lol.
starting the structural repairs as this model was structurally compromised adding that box so I will restore the frame integrity as part of this retrofit.
starting the structural repairs as this model was structurally compromised adding that box so I will restore the frame integrity as part of this retrofit.
While this area is exposed, I will finally get the factory power switch working again after 40 years lol
While this area is exposed, I will finally get the factory power switch working again after 40 years lol
This is what I had after removing that ugly structure. The new blue very small servo can be seen. I wish I had taken a picture of that huge servo that was here lol. The spare tire is the factory on\off switch on this model. It originally was a motorized model with switch on\off control.
This is what I had after removing that ugly structure. The new blue very small servo can be seen. I wish I had taken a picture of that huge servo that was here lol. The spare tire is the factory on\off switch on this model. It originally was a motorized model with switch on\off control.
I had to add this big servo box to the back of the cab in order to add steering to this model many years ago. last year,  I finally added a modern servo and now this ugly box needs to go away!
I had to add this big servo box to the back of the cab in order to add steering to this model many years ago. last year, I finally added a modern servo and now this ugly box needs to go away!
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I was driving around my Peerless Max #2 Tractor A15 Trailer around and decided that the ramps needed to function properly so I put the trailer on the bench and it was in pretty bad shape. I bought this second P-MAD on ebay back in December of last year and have been working on it since then and finally got the M26 Tractor working very good with a DSM2 upgrade. This A15 trailer is quite complicated and to restore full function to the ramps will take some time. Below are pictures of the work in progress.
Attachments
This was the most challenging repair I have done in a while.
This was the most challenging repair I have done in a while.
IMG_4834.JPG
making some progress on this difficult rebuild
making some progress on this difficult rebuild
This one is next. Been wanting to build one of these and convert it to RRC for a long time..Getting closer to doing it. When I do I will start a new thread for it.
This one is next. Been wanting to build one of these and convert it to RRC for a long time..Getting closer to doing it. When I do I will start a new thread for it.
This is the current state of the P-MAX # 2 M15 TRAILER. It is getting a total rebuild.
This is the current state of the P-MAX # 2 M15 TRAILER. It is getting a total rebuild.
This is my P-MAX #1 M15 TRAILER with working ramps.
This is my P-MAX #1 M15 TRAILER with working ramps.
IMG_4829.JPG (92.84 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
Soon I will have two fully functional Peerless Max M26 + M15 Tractor trailer scale RRC models
Soon I will have two fully functional Peerless Max M26 + M15 Tractor trailer scale RRC models
IMG_4831.JPG (81.31 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I finally got the M15 trailer rebuilt and it now has working ramps that open\close like they should.

Here is a short video of M26 Tractor#1 going up a ramp. This would be impossible if not for the 4WD rear axle.
https://youtu.be/zkKZrTxept4

This is what a all metal 4WD gearbox sounds like :)
https://youtu.be/7uwCZ-HVLAo
Attachments
All of these are ready to run together.
All of these are ready to run together.
IMG_4849.JPG (93.84 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Now I can haul this big Centurion around and operate it along with the M26 as they are both DSM2, actually all 4 of these models are DWM2 and all can be run at the same time sequentially
Now I can haul this big Centurion around and operate it along with the M26 as they are both DSM2, actually all 4 of these models are DWM2 and all can be run at the same time sequentially
IMG_4847.JPG (85.63 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
I do not have the assembly instructions for this M15 Trailer so I used the other one for reference else it would have been near impossible to redo the complex ramp system on this trailer.
I do not have the assembly instructions for this M15 Trailer so I used the other one for reference else it would have been near impossible to redo the complex ramp system on this trailer.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I have been thinking this model as a 6x6 using the MTM gearboxes .

download/file.php?id=83502&mode=view
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I've actually had the opportunity to play with a real M15 trailer. It's a funny system. There is a hand crank connected to each set of the rearmost wheels that spreads the wheels out so that the ramps can go down between the tires. As you have them in your last pic, that is the travel setting where the wheels are cranked to the narrow setting. It's a really strange system and one I've never seen replicated on any other trailer.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

tankme wrote:I've actually had the opportunity to play with a real M15 trailer. It's a funny system. There is a hand crank connected to each set of the rearmost wheels that spreads the wheels out so that the ramps can go down between the tires. As you have them in your last pic, that is the travel setting where the wheels are cranked to the narrow setting. It's a really strange system and one I've never seen replicated on any other trailer.

wow, how cool is that ;)

I just ran the truck that has the 4wd rear axle on my work bench test track and it failed to negotiate the track due to not being a 6x6. the front axle needs to be converted. I was looking through my spare parts and found a front wheel drive axle with steering that may go in this model for a true 6x6 1/35 scale model.

It is a difficult track at the first turn and even some tanks have difficulty getting up the hill in that turn so a wheeled non AWD vehicle has little chance of making it to the top.
Attachments
Yes that is another half track. it is about 35 years old. It can run the track and climbs and steers very good. It has dual motor tracks and has track\+wheel steering.
Yes that is another half track. it is about 35 years old. It can run the track and climbs and steers very good. It has dual motor tracks and has track\+wheel steering.
IMG_8630.jpg (93.05 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
the axle is the right width and looks like it will fit
the axle is the right width and looks like it will fit
if I add this front axle it will be 6x6
if I add this front axle it will be 6x6
it has 4wd rear axles. The stock 2x4 gearbox was converted to 4X4 39 years ago.
it has 4wd rear axles. The stock 2x4 gearbox was converted to 4X4 39 years ago.
Bottom view. I have owned this model for 44 years
Bottom view. I have owned this model for 44 years
Model M-26 failed to climb the hill so its off road capability is limited.
Model M-26 failed to climb the hill so its off road capability is limited.
IMG_8621.jpg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have heard that the Dragon Wagon tractor unit was so called because, in those days of interestingly inefficient infernal combustion engines, flames would occasionally shoot from the exhaust. Can such an attribution of the name be verified? I do know that at night, good ol' Farmalls can put on a fireworks display. :haha:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:02 am I have heard that the Dragon Wagon tractor unit was so called because, in those days of interestingly inefficient infernal combustion engines, flames would occasionally shoot from the exhaust. Can such an attribution of the name be verified? I do know that at night, good ol' Farmalls can put on a fireworks display. :haha:
I do not know but I know where one of these machines are in a junkyard near Akron Ohio. They also have some Shermans and Stuarts.
Attachments
Sherman M3A4? Sam Winers yard in Akron Ohio.
Sherman M3A4? Sam Winers yard in Akron Ohio.
IMG_5804.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 964 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

In the mid '70s I live just north of Akron. Which part was the junk yard? (The C'hoga River lit up a bit.) I was back in the '90s and saw that the whole area looks better.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”