Peerless Max Dragon Wagon M26-M15-A1 1/35 motorized >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Peerless Max Dragon Wagon M26-M15-A1 1/35 motorized >RRC

Post by modler »

Note: I edit my threads and update info and videos on them so this is an "active edit thread" that I maintain. New info is periodically added to this and all my other threads here. That maybe why I am still a private ;)

I do not know the year these kits were made as this time. I estimate 1975.

There are 3 videos below.

The Tractor is a M-26 and the Trailer is a M15-A1. This model was my first factory "motorized" scale model kit. "Motorized" kits consist of 1 motor\gearbox\axle with adjustable steering front axle, free running with a on\off switch for control. This type of "motorized kit" is for vehicles with front\rear axles such as cars, trucks, Semi Track. This category of scale motorized kits are not available as "motorized remote control"

There is another category of single motor "motorized" that is for tracked vehicles. I have not built one of those yet but recently got my first one which I will post here in the near future.

The Sherman is a Tamiya kit. This model was my second factory "motorized remote control" scale model kit. I got it in 1978 as well from a local hobby shop. "Motorized Remote Control" comes with dual motors, one for each track and a "wired remote control system"

I have owned this 18 wheel military truck for 41 years It has had a lot of mods and has been with me for decades as I learned how to make scale models radio remote control (RRC).

This M26 was originally designed to be a free running motorized scale model with an on\off switch for motor control.
I never even built it that way back then and never saw it operate that way until just this month when I bought a used one from a seller on ebay. I had to rewire and repair that model but got it running as stock. Here is a video of it running in stock form, this was the best you could do off the shelf in 1978

M26 Tractor in motorized free running mode. This mode is controlled by on\off switch and adjustable steering front axle.
https://youtu.be/h4eyuyEhfVg

The Dragon Waggon was a motorized kit originally but not remote controlled. You turned a switch on and it would go forward and was 2WD only.
Now it has a 2 speed 4WD axle mod with proportional throttle and steering with DSM2 2.4 ghz rx.

The Sherman is about the same age and is an original "motorized remote control" series Tank. It is now a 2 channel radio remote controlled (RRC) model.
Sherman Tank climbing onto the M15 trailer
https://youtu.be/C1t922s7HLE

I just recently got it upgraded (both models) can run together now thanks to DSM2 rx.

Here is a video of the 18 wheel Truck hauling the fully functional Sherman around the Kitchen table track.
https://youtu.be/eYThT6MaZEg
Attachments
It operates of this tiny lipo.
It operates of this tiny lipo.
The Tiger can ride here too.
The Tiger can ride here too.
IMG_1819.JPG
IMG_1819.JPG (68.54 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1817.JPG (80.06 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG (60.64 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG (78.93 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_1812.JPG
IMG_1812.JPG (70.36 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG (72.93 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_1807.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG (75.4 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1806.JPG (60.08 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Last edited by modler on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Dragon Waggon with Sherman load 1/35 motorized RRC

Post by Tiger6 »

Nice! :thumbup:
desmo16
Private

Post by desmo16 »

Congratulations well done, beautiful! :clap:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Thanks guys. This is my favorite and oldest running RRC model in my fleet. I only recently perfected this 18 wheeler. I also recently perfected the Sherman that rides on the trailer. I just switched out the radio gear again on the Sherman because it needs super tracking to climb the ramps of the trailer. Below is the latest video of the Sherman driving up the ramps. :)

Sherman climbs the ramps of the Wagon.
https://youtu.be/C1t922s7HLE
Attachments
I will feature the Tamiya M3 halftrack in the picture soon. It is converted to RRC.
I will feature the Tamiya M3 halftrack in the picture soon. It is converted to RRC.
IMG_1829.JPG (94.61 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Would like to do this model RRC next.
Would like to do this model RRC next.
Found this picture from B.F Goodrich who made the tires for the real vehicle. I am retired from B.F. Goodrich Tire Co.
Found this picture from B.F Goodrich who made the tires for the real vehicle. I am retired from B.F. Goodrich Tire Co.
Blew a tire first time I backed up with a load.
Blew a tire first time I backed up with a load.
IMG_1802.JPG (84.46 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
DSM2 radio gear with proportional steering, throttle.
DSM2 radio gear with proportional steering, throttle.
IMG_1797.JPG (79.7 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Last edited by modler on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I believe that's the old Peerless Max M26 kit. People seem to hate them as being very inaccurate, (especially compared to the Tamiya kit, I guess), but in it's time it was the only game in town. Shepard Paine did one up in Israeli colors in his diorama book, and I always thought it was one of the cooler builds he ever did. Good on you for making it come back to life!
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Very nice bit of old kit! I have it’s 1/16th scale brother in rc. Almost finished.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ad Lav wrote:Very nice bit of old kit! I have it’s 1/16th scale brother in rc. Almost finished.
Looking forward to seeing that :)
Attachments
lots of play time on this unit. about 38 years!
lots of play time on this unit. about 38 years!
IMG_1848.JPG (60.72 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
needs a new motor.
needs a new motor.
here is the original gearbox. Has been modified to 4WD. I am working on restoring it to working condition.
here is the original gearbox. Has been modified to 4WD. I am working on restoring it to working condition.
IMG_1845.JPG (85.54 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
2 speed axle shifter. goes from 2WD HI to 4WD Low
2 speed axle shifter. goes from 2WD HI to 4WD Low
IMG_1844.JPG (77.63 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
Fully proportional steering, throttle with governor ESC mod that also does a scale deceleration from top speed. Circuit board shown on top of the 2.4ghz radio EQ.
Fully proportional steering, throttle with governor ESC mod that also does a scale deceleration from top speed. Circuit board shown on top of the 2.4ghz radio EQ.
IMG_1842.JPG
IMG_1840.JPG
This is the original single axle gearbox. I still have it but it is modified to 4WD dual axle. Not being used at this time as a new low power consumption 2 speed 4WD axle is now installed.
This is the original single axle gearbox. I still have it but it is modified to 4WD dual axle. Not being used at this time as a new low power consumption 2 speed 4WD axle is now installed.
IMG_1839.JPG (98.27 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Dragon Wagon with Sherman load 1/35 motorized RRC

Post by Ad Lav »

modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ad Lav wrote:My build is here.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23841&hilit=Dragon+wagon
Very cool. I do not have room for a model of that scale as I am overrun with models now. Any new ones would have to be smaller scale. I also run my land models indoors and a 1/16 would be impractical for me at this time. I also fly r\c planes and have a bunch of them too lol.

Here is a video of a Japan Type 74 Tank climbing the ramps of the Tank hauler.
https://youtu.be/9kPrA2e3q2U

The Type 74 Tank in this video is still under construction and needs outer hull details to be finished. Someday I will complete the model. Have owned this Tank for 20 years.
Attachments
IMG_1880.jpg
IMG_1879.jpg
Peerless kit from Japan
Peerless kit from Japan
The only thing all that electronic stuff does is enhance low speed control of the tracks. Custom ESC using micro Toy grade 49 mhz receiver.
The only thing all that electronic stuff does is enhance low speed control of the tracks. Custom ESC using micro Toy grade 49 mhz receiver.
Type 74 Tank
Type 74 Tank
IMG_1872 (1).JPG (89.17 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG (84.49 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
This 4WD 2 speed axle component is from a Toy truck that just happens to be the right scale.
This 4WD 2 speed axle component is from a Toy truck that just happens to be the right scale.
IMG_1849.JPG (83.62 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
Last edited by modler on Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Awesome Dragon Wagon :thumbup:

And that Type 74 has incredible low speed control.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”