Peerless Max Dragon Wagon M26-M15-A1 1/35 motorized >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Dragon Wagon with Sherman load 1/35 motorized RRC

Post by modler »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Awesome Dragon Wagon :thumbup:

And that Type 74 has incredible low speed control.
Thanks gunner. Yes it has SUPER low speed control thanks to its custom built ESC enhancement circuit. I developed this circuit about 30 years ago for a wheelchair controller job at that time.

I guess I have an eye for that sort of thing because I have much experience in DC motor control due to the nature of my work experience.

Here is a video of a Japan Type 74 Tank climbing the ramps of the Tank hauler.
https://youtu.be/9kPrA2e3q2U
Attachments
Here is the 2019 version that soon will be in operation.
Here is the 2019 version that soon will be in operation.
IMG_1877.JPG (80.36 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
The electronics in here give this Tank SUPER low speed control. This version built in 2000 and has worked good since then.
The electronics in here give this Tank SUPER low speed control. This version built in 2000 and has worked good since then.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I'm guessing that circuit is physically a lot smaller now, especially in one of your tanks ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I'm guessing that circuit is physically a lot smaller now, especially in one of your tanks ;)
Yes I condensed it to the bare minimum parts that are required to operate in a model tank.

Here is another Type 74 Tank video.

https://youtu.be/Q4sKZ1kLDpk

Here is one of the Type 74 climbing a ramp.

https://youtu.be/c_Y22o2WP-Q
Attachments
The circuit that is in the Type 90 is in the bag. I am waiting on new 2 pin micro 1.5 JST connectors.
The circuit that is in the Type 90 is in the bag. I am waiting on new 2 pin micro 1.5 JST connectors.
IMG_1877.JPG (80.36 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
modler
Sergeant

Re: Dragon Wagon M26 + Sherman 1/35 motorized RRC

Post by modler »

Unexpectedly a vintage Tamiya Dragon Wagon has come my way. :D I have always wanted one of these to convert to RRC and it looks like I now can. I want it to look as scale as possible this time. On my Peerless Kit, I was young when I started that one and was impatient and was eager to get it up and running as I did not have any running scale models at that time.
Attachments
Ready to tackle that incline with the Peerless Wagon...no not really lol. This model has been running for 41 years! May not look as good as some as it endured many upgrades and trails but it still works and has an all steel 4wd rear axle that has a 130 motor and has plenty of power to haul a tank.
Ready to tackle that incline with the Peerless Wagon...no not really lol. This model has been running for 41 years! May not look as good as some as it endured many upgrades and trails but it still works and has an all steel 4wd rear axle that has a 130 motor and has plenty of power to haul a tank.
These things are hard to come by. I will do my best effort on this one.
These things are hard to come by. I will do my best effort on this one.
IMG_2009.JPG (93.38 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
Last edited by modler on Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Dragon Wagon M26 + Sherman 1/35 motorized RRC

Post by modler »

New wiring with ni-cad cell. Tire switch works as stock.
New wiring with ni-cad cell. Tire switch works as stock.
I am getting closer to doing a rrc conversion to the Tamiya Dragon Wagon but first I managed to get another Peerless Max Motorized Dragon Wagon from ebay already built but never run. These kits were designed to be "free running" motorized kits with adjustable steering. They have a on\off switch and are able to run in circles with the trailer attached. Pretty sweet compared to a "static" model that does not move under its own power.

Back in the winter of 1978, when I got my first "motorized model kit", the Peerless Max M26 M15 A1 Tractor Truck with Trailer, It was a thrill to have a motorized scale model which was the first of its kind that I had seen at that time. I snapped it up from the local hobby store for $14.50. That started my model r\c journey that is still in force today 41 years later. ;)

At that time I was a very young man and was eager to get the M26 up and running but not as a free running motorized scale model, but as a full radio remote control 2 channel Digital proportional scale model 8O Well, that did not work out well (at first) as radio control tech as a mainstream interest had barely began (1977 was when I first started seeing r\c toys in stores. It took a few years of trying different things and experimenting with electronics and learning to get something that looked like a radio control model (1981) but was crude looking and far from scale look. In the mean time I enrolled into a college program to earn a degree in electronics and finally started my career as an electronic technician for a big fancy company called IBM.

I am now retired a little early due to a disability and have the time now to pursue my interest in radio remote control of all types including aircraft.

So anyway, I got a Peerless Max M-26 from ebay recently for cheap and it looks like it never ran as it had multiple build and wiring issues which I have been working on and have restored to working operation as its intended purpose as a "free running motorized scale model". I got such a thrill seeing this Tractor run in circles on my kitchen table :D After 41 years, I finally got to see one running in stock form!

Here is the video of a Peerless Max M-26 running as intended. I am pretty sure this is a first lol because no one ever bothered doing a video of one back then because we did not have the video tech.
https://youtu.be/h4eyuyEhfVg

Here is another video showing both of my Peerless M-26 Tractors with trailers
https://youtu.be/fkJByxckHUM
Attachments
this time the underpinnings will look mostly scale and stock. so far so good with the mods it still looks stock. Soon I will post the underside of the 41 year old Max Tractor to show its front end and working parts. Warning! not pretty lol
this time the underpinnings will look mostly scale and stock. so far so good with the mods it still looks stock. Soon I will post the underside of the 41 year old Max Tractor to show its front end and working parts. Warning! not pretty lol
IMG_3805.JPG (69.44 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Front axles has been modified but looks scale. Steel axles added and front axle is removable as it is secured with 2 micro screws. Getting it ready to stear via radio control.
Front axles has been modified but looks scale. Steel axles added and front axle is removable as it is secured with 2 micro screws. Getting it ready to stear via radio control.
The front wheels have been replaced because they would not roll and they were plastic. These are wheels from a 1/35 M3 Half Track. mounted to stock axle with small screws and nuts, steel axles.
The front wheels have been replaced because they would not roll and they were plastic. These are wheels from a 1/35 M3 Half Track. mounted to stock axle with small screws and nuts, steel axles.
IMG_3799.JPG (96.87 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
This is what makes this model so cool is the motorized kit that makes it a running model. Tamiya does not have that option in their kit.
This is what makes this model so cool is the motorized kit that makes it a running model. Tamiya does not have that option in their kit.
This is the box for the Max model.
This is the box for the Max model.
Shown here with a Tamiya model which will eventually be built as a motorized radio control scale model.
Shown here with a Tamiya model which will eventually be built as a motorized radio control scale model.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Dragon Wagon M26-M15-A1 + Sherman 1/35 motorized RRC

Post by modler »

Got the P-max Tractor converted to RRC 8) I will do a picture comparison of both of the models. The first one which is 40+ years old is still running good and I now have two of these models converted to RRC. Both are D-Proportional steering, throttle.
Attachments
IMG_3836.JPG
This is the newest Peerless Max in the collection. You can see the stock single axle rear drive system here.
This is the newest Peerless Max in the collection. You can see the stock single axle rear drive system here.
The ebay P-Max Tractor now is fully RRC.
The ebay P-Max Tractor now is fully RRC.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

New pictures of both Trucks showing radio gear wiring revisions and underside chassis shots.

Both Trucks are 2CH DSM2 RRC. Proportional throttle and steering.

Can run on 1s, 2s cells. For table top running, I use 1s. ;)
Attachments
Stock 2WD rear axle with plastic reinforced with metal front end with DP micro servo. Looks more stock and uses stock components<br /> but not as robust as the full mod metal front end on the first M-26 Tractor.
Stock 2WD rear axle with plastic reinforced with metal front end with DP micro servo. Looks more stock and uses stock components
but not as robust as the full mod metal front end on the first M-26 Tractor.
IMG_3851.JPG (84.79 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
This all metal front end and rear axle is more robust and can run off road and has for many years. The 4WD mod to the axle has just recently been perfected.
This all metal front end and rear axle is more robust and can run off road and has for many years. The 4WD mod to the axle has just recently been perfected.
IMG_3850.JPG (90.76 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
On the left shows the original but modified 2WD into 4WD axle. This gives the M-26 Tractor much better traction when hauling a Tank load.
On the left shows the original but modified 2WD into 4WD axle. This gives the M-26 Tractor much better traction when hauling a Tank load.
IMG_3849.JPG (71.59 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG (91.65 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
IMG_3847.JPG
IMG_3847.JPG (80.71 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
IMG_3846.JPG
IMG_3846.JPG (79.8 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
IMG_3845.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG (92.92 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
IMG_3844.JPG
IMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3843.JPG (70.87 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG (51.46 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Below are a few 4WD rear axle setups I used on the first model. On the second and latest M-26, I used the stock 2WD axle.
Attachments
IMG_3853 (1).JPG
IMG_3853 (1).JPG (80.41 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
Evill
Recruit

Post by Evill »

Awesome work.
I have an M26 model of the peerless max house.
Can you please put some pictures of the original assembly instructions of the M-26 / M15A1 Dragon Wagon Tank Transporter Motorized?
I have lost mine after so much time, and I would like to put it together to put RC.
I would be very grateful
Thank you
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Evill wrote:Awesome work.
I have an M26 model of the peerless max house.
Can you please put some pictures of the original assembly instructions of the M-26 / M15A1 Dragon Wagon Tank Transporter Motorized?
I have lost mine after so much time, and I would like to put it together to put RC.
I would be very grateful
Thank you
Greetings Evill, I do not have the instructions and have not seen them in 41 years or so. I do not even have the box for either model as shown here. These are pretty simple kits as far as the body assembly is concerned. I would imagine you need instructions for the gearbox assembly? I will look around and see what I can find.

I would love to see another build RRC of this Peerless Tractor trailer. Is your kit NIB?

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”