Japan Type 90 1/24 with Laser Designator

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Japan Type 90 1/24 with Laser Designator

Post by modler »

Ok I re-built this over a decade ago and still I do not see anyone else adding a Laser. I am surprised because with these new fancy Tanks that shoot plastic 6mm projectiles it is hard to hit anything because you are not behind the barrel. How do you aim them? With a Laser designator you can not only aim but hit whatever you are shooting at every time. ;)

I will present this Tank here and see if any interest. It is a Japan Type 90 Tank Heng Long I think although it does not say on the box exactly what it is. The radio gear that came in it was poor and had short range and other issues so I changed out the radio from another Tank that had a better radio system. Currently the Tank needs a repair to the main gun elevation gears so it can not be properly aimed at this point. I have a lot of projects and only work on the ones that I can share with others. If there is any Interest in this Tank it will likely get fixed.

Here is a video of the Tank several years ago. This shows the ability to hit the Target in less than 20 seconds after the Tank has been moving.

https://youtu.be/LIlEK2pNK1A
Attachments
IMG_1750.JPG
Laser fitted to barrel
Laser fitted to barrel
IMG_1749.JPG (92.6 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
IMG_1748.JPG
IMG_1748.JPG (74.62 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG (75.7 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Japan Type 90 1/24 with Laser Designator

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That's pretty neat :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Well, I just Timed it and I was able to hit the target in ~10 seconds after coming to a stop. If I was into Tanks with guns that shot, I would want this on my Tank. Otherwise how are you hitting anything? I just threw this together because me and my Dad had a discussion about it 25 years prior to me doing the mod to a model Tank. His suggestion added another feature which I have not implemented yet.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I have that tank, and it fires harder and more rapidly than my 16th ones. I've just guessed aiming and can usually hit a target within a couple of shots :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I have that tank, and it fires harder and more rapidly than my 16th ones. I've just guessed aiming and can usually hit a target within a couple of shots :thumbup:
I see. Well then this is not that big of a deal then. I can not hit the target in a reasonable amount of time without the Laser. I am surprised that this mod has little to no interest. Well looks like it stays in the box as I move on to something more interesting. :D
Attachments
Its all on the outside because it never go past the prototype phase.
Its all on the outside because it never go past the prototype phase.
IMG_1357.JPG (90.42 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Laser mounting detail. Powered by a 1 cell lipo.
Laser mounting detail. Powered by a 1 cell lipo.
IMG_1353 (1).JPG (84.89 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I think you have a brilliant solution for those that don't have cameras on their tanks. Can your laser be hidden, or disguised so that it doesn't look out of place on an historical replica?

Also, I was a bit unfair towards you, and meant no disrespect to your idea. I have a pistol crossbow, that I've practiced shooting from the hip with, a bit like a gun slinger, and in my youth I used to be a pool hustler, so I have an eye for angles and watch where the BB's go.

And that being said, I for one am interested if this device can be hidden :thumbup:

modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I think you have a brilliant solution for those that don't have cameras on their tanks. Can your laser be hidden, or disguised so that it doesn't look out of place on an historical replica?

Also, I was a bit unfair towards you, and meant no disrespect to your idea. I have a pistol crossbow, that I've practiced shooting from the hip with, a bit like a gun slinger, and in my youth I used to be a pool hustler, so I have an eye for angles and watch where the BB's go.

And that being said, I for one am interested if this device can be hidden :thumbup:
Yes of course it could be easily hidden :) If I wanted it hidden which I don't. I understand people are into scale looking models but I am in a different place as an advanced and longtime radio control enthusiast. I actually see the beauty in the electrical aspects of the function of the model and the development of the dream function is ongoing for me. I thought people might want to see the way the function is implemented on the outside. I have hundreds of model projects and always get ideas on how to add some new improvement of its radio control function. I know how Hobart felt now. :think:

If I was going to make this mod look stock with no outward modifications, I would use a larger scale tank. I am more of a radio control enthusiast as opposed to a scale model person although I do respect a well done scale model and I have those too but they mostly sit around and do nothing but look pretty. I have a newer Challenger muscle car and it does the same thing, sits around and looks pretty. My main driver car a Historical licenced Plymouth minivan, gets used all the time ;)
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I think you have a brilliant solution for those that don't have cameras on their tanks. Can your laser be hidden, or disguised so that it doesn't look out of place on an historical replica?

Uh, with a camera you are still "shooting from the hip". This is a Laser Target Designator like used on real tanks only difference is the Laser is a visible wavelength. :D
Vertigo
Private

Post by Vertigo »

Interesting.
I was thinking of adding a laser pointer to my build.
I have a small one i am able to canabalise but have to work out where to fit it and how to turn it on using the standard control system. I was intending to use the signal for the smoke unit.
1st i need to fit the FPV camera. So its a fight for space and deciding whether i need to disguise it.
But great that youve done it and proved its a benefit.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Vertigo wrote:Interesting.
I was thinking of adding a laser pointer to my build.
I have a small one i am able to canabalise but have to work out where to fit it and how to turn it on using the standard control system. I was intending to use the signal for the smoke unit.
1st i need to fit the FPV camera. So its a fight for space and deciding whether i need to disguise it.
But great that youve done it and proved its a benefit.
Yes it does work quite well. I built this tank years ago and at that time was not too concerned with visual aesthetics :/ But now, if I do another, I will do it so it shoots the beam through the barrel and with no outward mods to the Tank. Would be much easier with a 1/16 model but I do not own one at this time. Still on the back burner :think:

Oh, there are many ways to activate the "LAZER". You could use any output x2 in a "AND configuration" to activate the LAZER. I used a small (5v) relay with "AND function DTL logic" to activate.

That Tank is in deep storage at my storage garage, I will try to find it and maybe revive this thread with a "new and improved version" I was just waiting for someone to reply to this thread to show some interest. I just noticed this reply today.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”