World's smallest (1:77) Hobby Grade Radio Remote Control Tank?

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

Re: World's smallest 2 channel twin motor RADIO CONTROL Tank

Post by modler »

modler wrote:I found who is selling this Tank now, Banggood. It looks like the same Tank chassis, Tracks, road wheels etc looks the same but may have new electronics. I ordered 2 of them from Banggood. It looks like they may be RRC IR Battle Tanks but is hard to tell as it shows pictures of the Tank with what looks like a battle IR system (IR emitter and collector). I will post more info when the new Tanks arrive.
I finally got the micro Tanks from Banggood 2 days ago. I am disappointed because I have been tricked again :/ They make it look like these are IR battle tanks.

The ad says (Mini Radio RC Car Army Battle Infrared Tank). They even have a thing on top of the Turret that looks like an IR detector but it is not. The Tank is radio controlled so where is the Infrared?

These new Tanks are almost identical (chassis) to the one I have posted above with a few improvements like a on\off switch and a plug in charger connector. Still have not looked into what kind of battery it is using. That is next. It is way too fast for a Tank and has poor tracking. It basically wants to drive in a circle. It has a weird LED in the front turret that I thought was a IR emitter but it is not. It changes colors like a Christmas ornament or something and is not something you would expect on a tank :/

This thing may be lithium powered. Will look into that next. The radio system does work good but would have been better if it was 2.4 ghz tech.

In summation I would say I regret this purchase as there are better things to buy besides this thing.

Pros..Well, I do like the plastic display case it comes in as it looks like a micro RRC IR battle tank and is a curiosity but once you drive it it is a letdown.
Attachments
Fake IR detector. Well, this is an IR collector lens but there is no detector in the lens.
Fake IR detector. Well, this is an IR collector lens but there is no detector in the lens.
IMG_2200.JPG (69.53 KiB) Viewed 14702 times
Looks like it has an IR battle system.
Looks like it has an IR battle system.
IMG_2199.JPG (77.66 KiB) Viewed 14702 times
here it is next to the one I got from from ebay. I now have about $100 in 3 of these micro tanks. Wife would not be happy to know that lol.
here it is next to the one I got from from ebay. I now have about $100 in 3 of these micro tanks. Wife would not be happy to know that lol.
IMG_2198.JPG (82.16 KiB) Viewed 14702 times
Does have a nice display case.
Does have a nice display case.
IMG_2162.JPG (75.47 KiB) Viewed 14705 times
Little Tiger
Little Tiger
IMG_2161.JPG (80.91 KiB) Viewed 14705 times
They are the worlds smallest Radio Remote Controlled Tanks. That much is true.
They are the worlds smallest Radio Remote Controlled Tanks. That much is true.
IMG_2160.JPG (57.41 KiB) Viewed 14705 times
modler
Corporal

Parallel VS Series wiring on motors and cells

Post by modler »

After owning these tanks a few days have decided to modify them.
Step 1.
The L&R track motors are wired in parallel as with most Tanks. I will wire them in series so that both motors are driven by 1 speed control and the other is used for steering. This will change the overall motor impedance so that there is less current being drawn and speed will be decreased.

Step 2.
A 2 cell 30 mah NiMH battery is used @ 2.4v. I will wire this pack in parallel so that voltage is 1.2v. This will reduce the speed further. Voltage will be cut in half and mah will be doubled. So it will go slower but run longer.

The downside to this mod is the goofy Turret Christmas ornament LED will no longer work the new lower voltage. Can't say I am too upset about that.
The onboard TX charger may need to be modified as well but it still appears to work but may be getting a bit warmer than usual.

I have already done the mods to the original micro King Tiger and like the way it runs now.
Attachments
2 cell 2.4v 30mah NIMH pack is now 1.2v 60mah pack. A 1.5mm micro connector is added so that the battery is removable. There was some corrosion in here from the battery making me think these were built some time ago. Maybe as long as 10 years is my guess.
2 cell 2.4v 30mah NIMH pack is now 1.2v 60mah pack. A 1.5mm micro connector is added so that the battery is removable. There was some corrosion in here from the battery making me think these were built some time ago. Maybe as long as 10 years is my guess.
IMG_2205.JPG (80.95 KiB) Viewed 14674 times
The Banggood Tanks have a charge port and a on\off switch.
The Banggood Tanks have a charge port and a on\off switch.
IMG_2204.JPG (77.52 KiB) Viewed 14674 times
First thing to do on this one is mod the cells first and see how it performs.
First thing to do on this one is mod the cells first and see how it performs.
IMG_2203.JPG (77.07 KiB) Viewed 14674 times
Let the mods begin! This is the Banggood Tiger. The chassis has a few changes from the older King Tiger. 4 screws hold it together as opposed to 3
Let the mods begin! This is the Banggood Tiger. The chassis has a few changes from the older King Tiger. 4 screws hold it together as opposed to 3
IMG_2202.JPG (69.87 KiB) Viewed 14675 times
Series wired motors, cells combined make this Tank Tabletop ready. Small space operation is the goal here. The older "ebayTank" uses 1 screw per side and has taller road wheels. Center axle offset pitches the front up and gives it a clown like stance. Center road wheel removed here allows better tracking and way less rocking and toy like instability. They eliminated the center axle offset on the Banggood Tanks.
Series wired motors, cells combined make this Tank Tabletop ready. Small space operation is the goal here. The older "ebayTank" uses 1 screw per side and has taller road wheels. Center axle offset pitches the front up and gives it a clown like stance. Center road wheel removed here allows better tracking and way less rocking and toy like instability. They eliminated the center axle offset on the Banggood Tanks.
IMG_2211.JPG (58.31 KiB) Viewed 14675 times
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Very original post, thanks for sharing!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Very original post, thanks for sharing!
Greetings fellow Tank commander :D

Yes I like them all including the smalls. The Tanks featured here are the world's smallest RRC Tanks as far as I know. I will be posting videos of these tanks including a stock micro T-34 so that the differences can be seen in performance between Parallel VS Series wiring of the battery cells and motors. These mods are relatively easy to perform on most tanks. The thing that has not been discussed yet is the TX and how these mods affect the operation and mods used bring the TX in line with the new wiring. A different TX can be used as well. There are basically two TX types.

1. Two stick parallel control. Both sticks move up\down and each stick controls one motor FWD\REV.
2. One steering wheel or stick that controls steering L\R and One stick that moves Up\Down controls both motors FWD\REV.

With the series wired motors mod, Type 2 TX is used. Type 1 TX can still be used for series wired motor mod but is a non standard control on the right stick. With series motor mod stick movement on right stick should be Left\Right not Up\Down.

ASAP will do some videos showing the difference after mods are made. I still have the T-34 that is the stock reference. ;)

more to come on this topic later.
Attachments
Center road wheel removed for now and tracking is much improved. The center wheel hub size will be modified to eliminate axle offset. Running it without the center wheel for now.
Center road wheel removed for now and tracking is much improved. The center wheel hub size will be modified to eliminate axle offset. Running it without the center wheel for now.
IMG_2216.JPG (98.54 KiB) Viewed 14668 times
Once again on the ebay Tiger, this picture shows the road wheel lift due to center axle offset. IMO this spoils the tracking of the tank and makes it rock up and down as it moves left to right back and forth makes it look unstabil and toy like to my eyes.
Once again on the ebay Tiger, this picture shows the road wheel lift due to center axle offset. IMO this spoils the tracking of the tank and makes it rock up and down as it moves left to right back and forth makes it look unstabil and toy like to my eyes.
IMG_2214.JPG (85.75 KiB) Viewed 14668 times
On the Banggood Tiger, all road wheels touch the ground at the same time. The tracking is much better on these tanks but is even better after the series cell mod. Prior to the series cell mod the B-Tiger drove in circles and need constant correction to track strait.
On the Banggood Tiger, all road wheels touch the ground at the same time. The tracking is much better on these tanks but is even better after the series cell mod. Prior to the series cell mod the B-Tiger drove in circles and need constant correction to track strait.
IMG_2213.JPG (83.13 KiB) Viewed 14668 times
On the ebay Tiger you can see the front roadwheel does not touch the ground due to center axle offset. The benefit of this is that the Tracks have less resistance to turning L\R. However, it causes a "clown " like stance and instability in tracking.
On the ebay Tiger you can see the front roadwheel does not touch the ground due to center axle offset. The benefit of this is that the Tracks have less resistance to turning L\R. However, it causes a "clown " like stance and instability in tracking.
IMG_2212.JPG (75.4 KiB) Viewed 14668 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

This video shows a full mod Tank traversing the dining table. The steering is so smooth it looks digital proportional. The standard 49 MHz receiver is used with the standard toy RX2C decoder which is non proportional output.

This video is of the Ebay Panther Tank which has both series wired cell, motor mod.
will repost asap

This video is of the Banggood Tiger which has series cell mod.
will repost asap

Wait until you see the stock Banggood T-34 :crazy:
Attachments
This standard type 1 TX works as you would expect with the Banggood Tiger. It takes both sticks up to go forward. All Transmitters shown are 49.14 MHz.
This standard type 1 TX works as you would expect with the Banggood Tiger. It takes both sticks up to go forward. All Transmitters shown are 49.14 MHz.
IMG_2229.JPG (63.87 KiB) Viewed 14658 times
This TX looks like a car TX but is not. It runs the parallel motors just like the dual stick up\down but only needs the left stick up to go forward.
This TX looks like a car TX but is not. It runs the parallel motors just like the dual stick up\down but only needs the left stick up to go forward.
IMG_2227.JPG (52.31 KiB) Viewed 14659 times
Both of these Transmitters work with the stock Tank with the parallel wired motors.
Both of these Transmitters work with the stock Tank with the parallel wired motors.
IMG_2220.JPG (68.64 KiB) Viewed 14660 times
The TX on the right is a Type 2. The one on the left is a type 1. The one in the middle is a type 3 which has not been discussed yet.
The TX on the right is a Type 2. The one on the left is a type 1. The one in the middle is a type 3 which has not been discussed yet.
IMG_2219.JPG (77.03 KiB) Viewed 14660 times
Last edited by modler on Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Here is a video of the stock Banggood (BG) T-34.
https://youtu.be/fqVsDRWV8h4

The video is in slow motion so you can see what this thing is actually doing. at the end it goes normal speed. :wtf:

BG Tiger with series battery mod.
https://youtu.be/M31P3w6Z6rA
With this mod the Tank has reasonable speed characteristics and now can now be operated on a Table top. Down side to this mod is the Xmas tree LED does not work at the lower battery voltage.

Unknown make Panther from ebay with series battery and series motor mod.
https://youtu.be/1miaXm2QwVI
This Panther is nearly identical to the BG Tanks and has the same exact radio gear (49 MHz), tracks, gearbox,motors dimensions.
I personally prefer the way this Panther Tank drives (with the full mods). I will leave the T-34 stock just so I can get a good laugh watching it perform like a "Crazy Clown Tank" :crazy:
Attachments
My micro Tank fleet.
My micro Tank fleet.
IMG_2232.JPG (65.68 KiB) Viewed 14646 times
Last edited by modler on Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Thats cute, lol. And you always can mod one and make a Goliath!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Eastern Front wrote:Wow,

Technology is so awesome,,,even now you can get an RC tank in 1/16, 1/10, 1/6 and 1/4 Wow!!! :crazy: :crazy:

Just kidding!! I was going to get a set for work, you know on those slow days, have a battle with the Boss!

check out these conversions for your 1/35 scale models! http://35rctank.com

Cheers!!
Well, let me be clear, these are not IR Battle tanks. They look like they are but it is a deception, marketing ploy. They show the Tanks on the Box as a set like battle Tanks and they even have what looks like a IR receiver on the Turret but they have NO IR electronics. It says on the BANGGOD site that they are well, I will quote what it says..."Mini Radio RC Car Army Battle Infrared Tank With Light Toy - Green".

I like the little Tanks and I won't bother complaining about them but I "won't get fooled again". This is the second time I have fallen for this fake" Battle Tank Set" ploy.

I will soon do a review of the BEST inexpensive "Mini" Battle Tank Set that are available (that I know of) here. Oh, and they are not from Bangggod.com.

Still I like these micro Tanks and once modified they are table top ready. I would really like to have a set of battle Tanks this small so I will keep looking.

One thing I can say about these Tanks, They are the worlds smallest Radio Remote Control dual motor Tanks. :)
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Thats cute, lol. And you always can mod one and make a Goliath!

Greetings and thanks for noticing my humble efforts and posting to my thread :D

Say, I was looking at your site and saw a 1/18 88 Flak gun and you said "even when it looks a tad too small with the rest of the army", I have a 1/18 Half Track that has a hitch and would look good hauling that Flak gun.

I did a thread on it here and will post a link here in a minute..

Halftrack thread link
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27135
Attachments
Forward elements of my model Army
Forward elements of my model Army
IMG_2234.JPG (79.47 KiB) Viewed 14604 times
Peregrine
Recruit

Post by Peregrine »

It's like little minion tanks.
Someone should put a 1/16 Tiger or KT in the middle, and few of these minions painted yellow all around the bigger tank. It would make for a great photo :)
Torro Late Tiger I: metal pro version, ASP2/Taranis controls, many customizations.
Taigen KV-1: HL 2.4GHz controls, few customizations.

Under Construction:
HL M41 Bulldog: ASP2/Taranis controls, all metal upgrades, many customizations.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”