Rollcall- Unfinished tank projects

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Rollcall- Unfinished tank projects

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Well it’s not a long list but a time consuming one!

Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV

M26 Dragon wagon and trailer

Hybrid Firefly

M4A1E8
Considering the level of finish we've come to expect from your models, Adam, these are likely to be revealed (and genuine revelations) in the distant future :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

And I thought I was the only one... :'(
Attachments
IMG_20181119_142707.jpg
IMG_20181119_142625.jpg
IMG_20181119_142610.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

No, yours appears like quite a modest backlog, Wibb.. :think: But at least you can print your way out of parts-desiderata. I'm sure many of the project logjams are due to not having quite the right part, or, that parts don't match the inspiration that created the need. :think:
Seeing your printer there, also reminds me- with a sinking feeling- that I have a brand new one (read: unused ) languishing in a cupboard that's not even been plugged in yet. Oh, woe is me. :( Thanks :thumbdown:
So now I not only have to finish the six tanks illustrated at the start of the thread, but also learn all about 3D design and using a 3D printer. Och well, there's never enough time, eh? .. :thumbup: :D Then again, I shouldn't whinge about luck like this, should I? :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The 3D design, or CAD, is just a matter of sitting down, loading a free program off the interweb, and then looking for YouTube tutorials. There is no way that you would just 'figure it out', these programs are not simple beasts, they confuse the hell out of mere mortals. That said, it's a building block process. You learn the simple things, and then use two simple things to create a slightly more complicated thing, create a few slightly complicated things and then use those to create a quite complicated thing, and so on.

It took me a couple of years to realise what I could do with Openscad, and how to do it to get the parts I wanted, but I have reached the point where I can pretty much design whatever I want. With hindsight I should have gone with something like Blender, as it is far more capable, but I am now in the Openscad groove so I stick with it.

The key thing to remember is that there is a wealth of information on the web, and You Tube is a godsend, it's a matter of finding a tutorial that you equate with, some are diabolical and assume prior knowledge, whereas anyone starting out knows nothing at all. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Two I just started.

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Maccrage wrote:Two I just started.

Nice! Yes, Mac, but the point is, will you finish them before you begin another two, or even more? :think: :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

wibblywobbly wrote:The 3D design, or CAD, is just a matter of sitting down, loading a free program off the interweb, and then looking for YouTube tutorials. There is no way that you would just 'figure it out', these programs are not simple beasts, they confuse the hell out of mere mortals. That said, it's a building block process. You learn the simple things, and then use two simple things to create a slightly more complicated thing, create a few slightly complicated things and then use those to create a quite complicated thing, and so on.

It took me a couple of years to realise what I could do with Openscad, and how to do it to get the parts I wanted, but I have reached the point where I can pretty much design whatever I want. With hindsight I should have gone with something like Blender, as it is far more capable, but I am now in the Openscad groove so I stick with it.

The key thing to remember is that there is a wealth of information on the web, and You Tube is a godsend, it's a matter of finding a tutorial that you equate with, some are diabolical and assume prior knowledge, whereas anyone starting out knows nothing at all. :thumbup:
Yes, what you say makes perfect sense. There's also a wealth of info to be had here on CAD, along with actual projects being realised (Incuding your own). As for the 'Net, well, that's info. overload in some respects. I spend quite a lot of time looking at stuff on Pro Tools and other music studio related issues (using virtual compressors, and virtual tools, instead of the older valve driven ones., etc..,). That is bringing my own studio tech into the 21st century (I still use Hard Disc recorders, and Tape).
Balancing two immersive hobbies ( RC Tanks and Music Production), is getting to be a tricky act for these wobbly old legs. :D I'm not daunted by Openscad, nor switching the printer on; just by getting so immersed in it that my guitars will begin to sport cobwebs :problem: :haha:
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Maccrage wrote:Two I just started.

Nice! Yes, Mac, but the point is, will you finish them before you begin another two, or even more? :think: :D
Yes.

This time.

I hope.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I posted this picture not long after joining this forum, and after giving praise to Andrew and Dave for supplying me with this little lot, my first two purchases from them both. You have to laugh, I only went on Dave's site to purchase a Russian tank commander.

I did fancy having a Sherman. . . .

But since I saw some of the builds, Frank's in particular, I got a shine for Sherman and Pershing builds.

This little subject matter lot has now grown. Another three heng long Shermans, a couple of mato Shermans and three pershings, also a Taigen Sherman, but that's not for the chop. I think I may have also bought chassis for the two hulls in the picture along with various other parts and a shed load of plasticard.

Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

And of course, just when I think I have it under control, the postman left this an hour ago.

Return to “Show Off”