Rollcall- Unfinished tank projects

Here is where you can show off you tanks, post pics and info on your arsenal!

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm sure this will be a familiar theme to many members here. :problem: :haha: There's just too much temptation out there, and too little patience :problem: :haha:
These are my current unfinished Tank projects, and space is needed for more.
They're in various stages of completion, or incompletion, so to speak. :) Even then, for some of us a tank is rarely finished to the 'definitive' version level. There's always that wee nagging tank- tinkerer- spirit behind us, driving us on to add that extra detail. Don't forget to click on the pics to enLARGE them.
:|
Rollcall- Unfinished tanks 1.jpeg
Rollcall of unfinished Tank projects..

These are (l-R): StuG3 (HL and Taigen Hybrid); Tamiya Panzer IV; Asiatam/Taigen StuG IV; Cromwell Mk IV; Sherman Firefly and a Tamiya Panther Ausf, G.
Rollcall- Taigen-HL StuG3 and Tamiya Pz IV Ausf J.jpeg
Rollcall- Taigen Stug 3 and Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf.J

The Pz IV has appeared in my thread on building a Pz IV. It's largely finished, but sits in a basecoat of dunkelgelb, awaiting something a little more 'definitive' for an Ausf. J. If you've seen the current prices of Tamita electronic internals (almost £400 for the pair of DMD/MFU units the tank needs.); you'll appreciate why it's also currently static. I've almost decided to fit the Elmod Fusion Pro to it, at nearly half the price. The only reservation I have there is that the Elmod can't fire the Pz IV's xenon barrel flash. Hmm. I think I'll improvise with a 3mm red LED. I'm sure that's a viable alternative.? Anybody tried that?
The StuG 3, well, you have to have one, don't you? This one had a duff barrel elevation unit when it arrived; but more on that at another time.
Rollcall-Tamiya PZ Iv and Asiatam StuG IV.jpeg
Rollcall- Tamiya Pz IV and Asiatam StuG IV

The StuG IV has been semi-cursed right from the start. The upper hull was warped, the lower (alloy chassis)..well, suffice to say- without recourse to expletives- that nothing fitted in the way it should.
Still, it's beginning to look like it should; but I'm having to improvise a recoil arrangement for the cannon, since this combo is maddeningly resistant to standard components. :-<
Rollcall-Cromwell, Firefly and Panther.jpeg
Rollcall- Cromwell Mk IV; Sherman Firefly and Tamiya Panther Ausf. G.

Rollcall -Cromwell and Sherman Firefly.jpeg
Cromwell and Sherman Firefly upper Hull

The Cromwell was nearly a runner, using a Clarke T60 unit with sounds magicked into it by Stian, but stiffness in the right hand running gear needs sorting before I let it try to ruin the Clarke board again. 8|
It also requires cosmetic finishing, and a brace of parts (MG support and Coaxial MG refitting)
The Sherman Firefly? Well..I began it. That's about it. Eventually it will sit on a donor chassis.
But it won't be the Pz 3 chassis it's sitting on here :D That would make it a Shpanzer.
Rollcall- Cromwell and Firefly Shpanzer.jpeg
Rollcall- Cromwell Mk IV and Sherman Firefly

The Tamiya Panther is the most complete, and actually works as it should. It just needs some finishing on the camo, a wee bit of ageing (something I could do without ), and some regimental markings
Rollcall-Cromwell, Firefly and Panther.jpeg
Rollcall- Cromwell Firefly and Tamiya Panther

OK. Now this is YOUR opportunity to reveal the sorry, and lamentably unfinished, state of prized elements in your collection.. :lolno: Go on!! Do let's see 'em
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Model Builder 4 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Very nice collection Roy no matter what state of finish they are in :D I think as modellers it's in our nature to be surrounded by half finished builds :haha: embarrassingly I'm in the same position myself of having far to many builds on the go :/ never mind it'll give me something to do over the winter or maybe the next two or three :crazy:

Cheers, Lee.
Model Builder 4
Staff Sergeant

Postby Wardog » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Not going to send you a picture of a box a plan box .Covered with dust and flyshit on one corner.
Think it's a 3 or 4 panzer cannot remember!

Wardog

Wardog
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Model Builder 4 wrote:Very nice collection Roy no matter what state of finish they are in :D I think as modellers it's in our nature to be surrounded by half finished builds :haha: embarrassingly I'm in the same position myself of having far to many builds on the go :/ never mind it'll give me something to do over the winter or maybe the next two or three :crazy:

Cheers, Lee.

Thanks, Lee; but DO send some of the ones you'd like to finish, if you only had:
a. the Time
b. Sufficient folding stuff
c. A partner who doesn't keep an eye on your expenditure, and those large parcels you intercept outside the house..
d. Any idea of what you're doing, and what it's all for... :D (I'm sure we've all asked ourselves questions like that :lolno: )
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Wardog wrote:Not going to send you a picture of a box a plan box .Covered with dust and flyshit on one corner.
Think it's a 3 or 4 panzer cannot remember!

Wardog

Don't be so modest, Wardog! Even with the flyshit, it could still make for a post-modern work of art, if Tracy Emin's underwear is anything to go by! :haha: Do send it anyway.
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Postby PainlessWolf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Good afternoon,
43rd R&R, Calling out the issues you face is sometimes exactly the impetus needed to get you moving on resolving them again. My current slack is sort of beyond my control. I finally rounded up the dosh to afford the 3D printed exhaust deflectors for the 1/6 Stuart but then I got sidelined with deductibles needed for surgery on both my eyes. The left eye is done and on the mend but now my vision is mismatched and will be until the 8th of December when the right eye is done. Then another 30 days of eye drops in that eye. Sheesh! It will all be worth it when I don't have to wear cheaters to work on models. Like you I have so much that needs doing, 'In The Mood's new airgun and speaker, a JJRC Q60 truck that needs detailing and lights along with a WPL Gaz truck that needs the same, two M16 Halftracks, a King Tiger Porsche turreted version and a Panther G that need new lowers and that's not even starting on the five RC tanks that are in boxes waiting to be built!!!...or the Stuart..... Time to hurry up and wait. This eye thing really threw off my build schedule this Autumn but it had to be dealt with, could not put it off any longer. ( the 1/72 scale KV-1 I built before the first procedure really demonstrated how bad it had gotten, was no fun at all )
regards,
Painless
Attachments
...more progress....jpg
...more progress...
Brand new MATO Airsoft Unit.jpg
Brand new MATO Airsoft Unit
New Largesse from MaxMekker.jpg
New Largesse from MaxMekker
Assembled this evening after an overnight cure for the painted parts..jpg
Assembled this evening after an overnight cure for the painted parts.
1980 GAZ-66.jpg
1980 GAZ-66
Always room for improvement tho'  ;o).JPG
Always room for improvement tho' ;o)
A sample of the outpouring of model largesse from Sassgrunt.  The 1 15 Aihara metal halftrack will be a complete build on its own..jpg
A sample of the outpouring of model largesse from Sassgrunt. The 1 15 Aihara metal halftrack will be a complete build on its own.
A runner more than a looker, the years have only added to this giant tank's physical impact when viewed up close.JPG
A runner more than a looker, the years have only added to this giant tank's physical impact when viewed up close
Awaiting rebuilds....jpg
Awaiting rebuilds...
Ready to go on the Hauler.jpg
Ready to go on the Hauler
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Max-U52 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 pm

I don't think I have a single tank, truck, halftrack or anything that's truly finished. The M35 FPV truck is probably the closest. If I were to make a video of all the unfinished projects it would take a year, and then there's all these 1/32 aircraft kits I have that are waiting to be built.

Wait, my favorite airsoft Tiger is finished, if you don't count the repair it's still waiting for. Having a little trouble with the airsoft barrel recoil in it. Here it is providing the music and voices for the 332. Yeah, you guys have seen this one before, but a stroll down memory lane can be fun sometimes and it's only 45 seconds. @)

phpBB [video]

But if it's photos you want, give me a minute. Ah'll Be Back.
Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:56 pm

I'm back. You sure you're ready for this? Now that I see them all together like this I feel pretty guilty. I guess I better get my ass to work, eh?

I seriously doubt I'll live long enough to finish them all, but I'll give it the old college try. :haha: :thumbup: :wave:
Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:15 am

Thanks, Painless and Gary! I hope the peepers give you all the clarity you need, Painless, for all that discomfort. I know how much I'd like to stop reaching for magnifying glasses, Lupes,. the bifocals, and the latest gadget: my illuminated magnifying glass! Suffice to say, I shall enjoy watching you resolve your knotty Modelling problems here on the Forum, and doubtless borrow a few solutions too!
Gary, what can I say? You've enough things to assemble there to require a minimum centenarian status in later life, :O and then some (as you Yanks are apt to say! It's lucky for you that cats aren't overly demanding from the interaction point of view. :D
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Wardog » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:22 am

I think your max,starting something over and over.its when to finish it's the problem.move on to the next project!your missing some fly shit,on the type82 box.try getting them to aim on the right hand side top.should finish it of nicely.

Wardog

Wardog
Lance Corporal

Postby Max-U52 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:46 am

43rdRecceReg wrote:It's lucky for you that cats aren't overly demanding from the interaction point of view. :D

Not so sure about that one, Roy, but you're right I'll have to live a very long time to build all that. Or win the lottery and build full time for a year or two. :haha: :haha:

Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Model Builder 4 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:29 am

Take your pick Roy :D this is half of the view of my loft/attic ( used to be a spare bedroom ) and there's still about half a dozen more stored away in cupboards boxes etc :/

Cheers, Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Model Builder 4
Staff Sergeant

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:35 am

Hi 43rd. I still have not finished not even one of my toys. As you said, there is always something to add, something to do.
Regarding your tamiya Panzer IV questions. I have one, and I sold the crappy tamiya electronics and fitted one Elmod fusion pro that I had at home. I installed a xenon taigen flasher and works very good. No aftermarket tank electronics can trigger the tamiya flash unit... But there are alternatives.

In other tanks I have just a 3mm or a 5mm led inside the barrel, depending of the barrel thickness.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Model Builder 4 wrote:Take your pick Roy :D this is half of the view of my loft/attic ( used to be a spare bedroom ) and there's still about half a dozen more stored away in cupboards boxes etc :/

Cheers, Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

:O :O :O :haha:
And I thought that our Gary had the model-acquisition bug worse than anybody else, Lee. :haha: One thing's for sure, the NHS doesn't provide a seasonal jab to deal with this sort of infection; but you can get counselling services with a bit of luck. :D
I see that you've made some good progress with the Cromwell, that's lurking in the foreground. It almost brings a tear to the eye; all those orphaned models, just crying out for attention. (Like Oliver): " Just one more dab o' glue, Guv..please!'.
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Don't bother with the counseling, it doesn't work. I went to three different counselors to try and beat my RC addiction but all that happened was the counselors got addicted. @)

Just motor on, Bro, motor on. 8) :haha: :haha:
Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

Postby lmcq11 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:52 pm

The unbuilt model reserve... I don't know how many there are. But when I start something, I always finish it so I do not have any "unfinished project"... really.

Capture10.JPG
cave

lmcq11
Sergeant

Postby Model Builder 4 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:55 pm

I'll get around to doing them all one day Roy I promise :{ there's still a little bit left to finish on the Cromwell but it's at the top of my to do list so hopefully it will be up and running before too long :/ .... :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Last edited by Model Builder 4 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model Builder 4
Staff Sergeant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Hi 43rd. I still have not finished not even one of my toys. As you said, there is always something to add, something to do.
Regarding your tamiya Panzer IV questions. I have one, and I sold the crappy tamiya electronics and fitted one Elmod fusion pro that I had at home. I installed a xenon taigen flasher and works very good. No aftermarket tank electronics can trigger the tamiya flash unit... But there are alternatives.

In other tanks I have just a 3mm or a 5mm led inside the barrel, depending of the barrel thickness.

Good advice on the Elmod option, Rad. Thanks for that. :thumbup: I have a couple of Taigen xenon flashers lurking somewhere in my burgeoning collection of spares.
As an incidental, I prefer to refer to my models as, well, 'models'. 'Toy' suggests that the collector has yet to 'grow up', and whilst I personally admit to a modicum of immaturity in these- my 'twilight' years, I would never admit to playing with 'Toys'. :lolno: :haha:
As an afterthought, I think the English 'Toy' (Aussprache: 'Teu') comes from the same root as the German 'Zeug'..as in Spielzeug'. :think: But then, the very basis of English is still German..
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jarndice » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:16 pm

" But then, the very basis of English is still German..[/quote]
With a modicum of Dutch, French, Indian, (Think of Khaki, Cha and lots more ) Malay (Think of Amok)and wherever else we colonised. :haha: :haha:

jarndice
Captain

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:12 pm

lmcq11 wrote:The unbuilt model reserve... I don't know how many there are. But when I start something, I always finish it so I do not have any "unfinished project"... really.

Capture10.JPG

Sacre Bleu :O :O .. !!! For a moment I thought that this must be a snap of the Heng Long factory, Louis!!. Whilst I appreciate the distinction between ''Unbuilt' and "Unfinished', with the unprecedented eye--popping backlogs emerging here, the effect is much the same: not enough time; not enough space, and not enough long-suffering, tolerant partners. :haha:
Thanks, Louis for the window into your mind-boggling storeroom. Thanks also for the amazing models you have completed, and exhibited, here :clap:
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Show Off