My King Tiger and first try at pea-dot camo

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Greywoolfe64
Recruit

My King Tiger and first try at pea-dot camo

Post by Greywoolfe64 »

This is my latest addition to mt tank fleet, a Heng Long King Tiger with Henschel turret. I managed to splash out a bit with this one, and bought the version with metal tracks and road wheels. The camouflage is relatively unchanged, as I liked how it looked, but the commander is where I went to town- I tried pea-dot camo on him for the first time, and I rather like how he turned out. Weathering was a bit more subtle than on my Tiger 1, only light mud spatter and streaks, with rust and some paint chips- my hope is that usage in the garden will weather this vehicle a lot more. I've modded the exhaust with a small PC fan to eliminate the horrible noise of the pump spoiling the sound of the vehicle engine, and she looks pretty good rolling along my lawn.
Side view on my display shelf.

Close-up of the commander in pea-dot camo.

Head-on, showing a tow chain and light mud spatter.
"You didn't say nothin' about locking horns with no Tigers, baby!"- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes.
My garage: HL Tiger 1, T34/85, King Tiger (Henschel turret) and Gaz 66 'Shishiga'.
Ghosttjr
Recruit

Re: My King Tiger and first try at pea-dot camo

Post by Ghosttjr »

Very Nice paint-job on the figure !

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Very nice!

I've never seen a King Tiger with rubber rimmed road wheels before.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Figure looks fantastic. Why are the road wheels trimmed in black?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
You have done an excellent job of making the Commander look human! To clean up the moldings on the uniform for future figures from the HL line, Tamiya and other decal manufactures have several sheets of 1/16 uniform markings in all the ranks available. The camo looks great. No rubber rims on those road wheels tho' and get yourself a blackout headlight cover to delete the HL pop eye effect from the LED. Looking forward to more of your work.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Greywoolfe64
Recruit

Post by Greywoolfe64 »

Yes, I'm aware of the inaccurate black wheel rims, that was how the model came. The front and rear drive sprockets were bare metal, and sprayed with Tamiya dark yellow to match. I'll need to fit a Tarr smoker into this beast sometime soon, so while the tracks are off (I'll have to remove them to get to two of the screws holding the upper hull in place) I'll respray all the idler wheels to eliminate the dark rims. I may even try to colour match the camo and spray them in alternate green/brown/sand to match. The rims will then be weathered to show bare metal where the steel grates against the track plates.
"You didn't say nothin' about locking horns with no Tigers, baby!"- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes.
My garage: HL Tiger 1, T34/85, King Tiger (Henschel turret) and Gaz 66 'Shishiga'.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Greywoolfe64 wrote:Yes, I'm aware of the inaccurate black wheel rims, that was how the model came. The front and rear drive sprockets were bare metal, and sprayed with Tamiya dark yellow to match. I'll need to fit a Tarr smoker into this beast sometime soon, so while the tracks are off (I'll have to remove them to get to two of the screws holding the upper hull in place) I'll respray all the idler wheels to eliminate the dark rims. I may even try to colour match the camo and spray them in alternate green/brown/sand to match. The rims will then be weathered to show bare metal where the steel grates against the track plates.
It's puzzling that the wheels arrived like that, shod in rubber. :problem: It is rubber, isn't it, and not paint? Hard to tell. Anyway, It almost looks as if the vendor had fitted Panther wheels to your KT, as the HL Panther has rubber tyres on the rims. :think:
HL Panther- with rubber tyres
HL Panther- with rubber tyres
Heng Long Panther.jpg (24.65 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
, but then the design is different, and the KT has more wheels. Maybe they liked the look of the Panther's roadwheels, and forced some rubber tyres onto the KT rims to make it look Panther-like. :eh:
In any event, as has been pointed out, the KT had no rubber on the rims. I should be easy enough to lever them off, though :) . Apart from that, it's a great start, and you're clearly a dab hand with the paintbrush :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Greywoolfe64
Recruit

Post by Greywoolfe64 »

It does look like they are tyres, but the roadwheels, as on the Tiger 1, are moulded in black vinyl plastic, and the manufacturer just masked the rims off and sprayed the centre discs. It would maybe have looked a bit better had they moulded them from steel coloured vinyl, and been less picky about the masking. It's easily rectified with paint, though. I'll post ore pics up when I've corrected it- as I said, I was concentrating more on painting the commander figure to have something I could drive.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

great job with the pea dot
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

great job with the pea dot

Return to “Show Off”