Stolzdorf. My buildings/battlefield/gadgets.

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: My buildings/battlefield items.

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Jesus Christ, Gary! That's stunning! Do you have a link or video of that wood printer in action? Im more than impressed!
Too right Mr '52, those windows are extraordinary :O
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Rad, I can post a video after work, but it's just a standard creality cr-10 3D printer, using wood filament. To be totally truthful, it's actually a composite filament that's made up of 70% PLA and 30% wood infill. At first I thought it wouldn't be very good since it's only 30% would, but once I tried it I really liked it. When you work with it, like sanding and carving, it acts more like wood than plastic. I think it's really great for printing crates because not having to paint them is a real time-saver. I just print them and give them a black wash and call it a day. In Cura I can make the crates any size I want, all I need is the three dimensions in millimeters. The custom crates I made to hold the electronics and the speaker for my Q60 worked out just perfect.

On Black Friday I ordered a second 3D printer, this one a DPL resin printer. I should get much better print quality but I won't be able to print items as large. However, for things like tires and figures the resin printer should give me much, much better quality. I'd really like to find some STL files for a driver, or even just the body. I can always get heads from verlinden. So, if anyone has any decent STL files for truck drivers, or any other figures that you'd like to see printed, please let me know.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:Rad, I can post a video after work, but it's just a standard creality cr-10 3D printer, using wood filament. To be totally truthful, it's actually a composite filament that's made up of 70% PLA and 30% wood infill. At first I thought it wouldn't be very good since it's only 30% would, but once I tried it I really liked it. When you work with it, like sanding and carving, it acts more like wood than plastic. I think it's really great for printing crates because not having to paint them is a real time-saver. I just print them and give them a black wash and call it a day. In Cura I can make the crates any size I want, all I need is the three dimensions in millimeters. The custom crates I made to hold the electronics and the speaker for my Q60 worked out just perfect.

On Black Friday I ordered a second 3D printer, this one a DPL resin printer. I should get much better print quality but I won't be able to print items as large. However, for things like tires and figures the resin printer should give me much, much better quality. I'd really like to find some STL files for a driver, or even just the body. I can always get heads from verlinden. So, if anyone has any decent STL files for truck drivers, or any other figures that you'd like to see printed, please let me know.
Amazing, nonetheless, Gary. By the way, '30% would' might benefit from an auto-corrector. ;) Then again, if it's not correcting an actual word, it won't bother with the substitution...
As for the wood filament, it's interesting that it doesn't begin to smoulder as the mix heats up. Anyway, it's good to see you back in the avant garde of this development in the hobby :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Yeah, Roy, I'm sure you figgered out from the other thread I was using my phone for that post, and it comes up with the weirdest stuff. If I want to tell you I'll be at Marisa's house it says I'll be at moroso sauce.

The print nozzle is set for 220 C when I print wood, which I think is just below smoldering temp. Ray Bradbury reminded us all that book paper ignites at 451 F so at 428 F we're getting close. And you ain't seen nothin' yet, my friend, as I have a resin printer on the way and I think that's going to do some amazing stuff. If only I could find an stl file for a decent truck driver!!

So here's a video, Rad, hope you find it informative. @) 8)

phpBB [video]

:wave: :wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:Yeah, Roy, I'm sure you figgered out from the other thread I was using my phone for that post, and it comes up with the weirdest stuff. If I want to tell you I'll be at Marisa's house it says I'll be at moroso sauce.

The print nozzle is set for 220 C when I print wood, which I think is just below smoldering temp. Ray Bradbury reminded us all that book paper ignites at 451 F so at 428 F we're getting close. And you ain't seen nothin' yet, my friend, as I have a resin printer on the way and I think that's going to do some amazing stuff. If only I could find an stl file for a decent truck driver!!

So here's a video, Rad, hope you find it informative. @) 8)

phpBB [video]

:wave: :wave:
:D Oddly enough, I was thinking of Fahrenheit 451 when the smouldering notion came to mind...all those books going up in smoke. Great book and great film.
If I weren't so bogged down with competing projects (music included), I might get to plug my printer in for the first time; if only to check that it actually works! here it is when I finished assembling it over a year ago now:
Hictop 3D printer
Hictop 3D printer
As it's already over a year old, it must be heading for obsolescence already :problem: :D I could do with printing bits for a Comet project; but printing ammo crates from simulated wood, and more besides,
should give extra impetus. Now back to Rad's smoulder-free carpentry :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I did some small progress in my battlefield.

The statue will be in the center of a square in my scale city. Now it has a pedestal. I gave that concrete texture to the end (not showed in the photos) It will be painted in grey, and then I will make a iron croos with plasticard, and also will put a plate with 1914-1918 or something like this. I think it looks great.
1.jpg
I keep also working in my last tank. Once I finish it, there will be no more. My armored division will be finished (But I am only lacking a 222) Im still far from finishing it. Turret numbers, cross, to pain the nets, to tie them...
IMG_20190224_210408.jpg
IMG_20190224_210007.jpg
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:I...I keep also working in my last tank. Once I finish it, there will be no more....
...said no real RC Tanker ever! ;D
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Marco Peter wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:I...I keep also working in my last tank. Once I finish it, there will be no more....
...said no real RC Tanker ever! ;D
LOL
Nah, seriously, I think I have more than enough. And I have no other tankers nearby...
PIII, PIV, King Tiger, Sherman, and a static T34 and Renault FT 17 and Type 94.

The time and money spent in buying and specially in fine tunning the runners is so big, that some time ago I decided to stop making more, and I even sold some of them... Also I think I got the models I really liked, so unless something very special shows up, I am done... (The 222 does not count, I will get one for sure)

I really want to focus in buildings, making a scale city as detailed as possible. And also to finish the warbird that is costing me the life, lol.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, at this point I am really planning how to build my own battlefield. Due to bad weather in spring here (almost hurricanes) I think I will build most of the buildings in a spare room in the basement, and then to go to the garden when needed.

One of the concerns I had was how to have sounds/music in the buildings in my way (the cheapest way)and last night I had the idea... To use bluetooth!

So I need to grab this board that is worth about one pound free shipping: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bluetoo ... 1bce8fcf85

To power it, and to connect a speaker. Then, from the mobile phone I can send the sounds/ambient noises/artillery strike/cows roar/machine gun/whatever I can imagine to the building in the battlefield.

So it is a nice and cheap idea, dont you think?
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Max-U52 wrote:Rad, all these crates, as well as the windows and doors, are wood, printed on my 3D printer. I agree that working with real wood is a joy in itself, but for some fine detail stuff the printer is my best bet. I doubt I could produce a wood window frame like these, with my limited skill set. For those that have the talent to craft something like that from actual wood, more power to them, but I really love the fact that technology allows me to cheat! @) @)

The windows and doors are the finish as it comes off the printer, and the crates have been treated with a coat of Flory/Promodeller black wash. That's one thing I really love about the wood prints, they don't have to be painted, just a quick wash, and that's a huge time saver for my lazy ass. :haha: :O 8)
Damn they look good!
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Show Off”