M-113A1 ACAV Vietnam

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

M-113A1 ACAV Vietnam

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Here is my 1/16 M-113 ACAV in US Vietnam era markings that you can see in the Other Builds Modern section. This is the Ludwigs base kit with Heng Long gears and electronics, Verlinden resin ACAV conversion kit, Shapeways road wheels and radios/intercom, the rest is mostly scratch built.

This was a most pleasant build.

Short YouTube video of the model in operation in my basement also available at https://youtu.be/XFpAFLrOuK0
Ludwigs 1/16 M113 ACAV RC tank
Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: M-113A1 ACAV Vietnam

Post by Ad Lav »

Simply outstanding.

Been a joy to watch you build and complete.
Reaper332
Corporal

Post by Reaper332 »

Absolutely beautiful..... :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

With such high level engineering and incredible design skills another incredible build Louis. Impressive and realistic would be an understatement :clap: :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Glad to see it all fleshed out and finalised, Louis. This is an absolutely sensational model and you've truly outdone yourself; the level of fine detail, subtle weathering, figure construction and mechanical design come together beautifully. If not for the decidedly out-of-scale woodgrain background, you wouldn't be able to tell it from the real thing. Well done!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
It is no secret that I love detail. This one could be a prize winner anywhere.
regards and a Happy New Year,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Louis,

What I find just as fascinating as your extraordinary skills is the incredible speed at which you accomplish it all and maintain such an extremely high level of detail.

BRAVO!! :clap: :clap:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I agree with Raminator that the interior setting is not ideal for pictures in tropical environment. I am planning to take it outside next summer, in warm weather and in the sun, and drive it around the garden. There is a feels like weather of -30C here today... It's the eastern front. I was tempted to take a Tiger out in the snow but the IPhone usually automatically shuts itself down after 30 seconds in such cold, can't take even get one picture.

I highly recommend the M113 Ludwig kit as entry into the styrene market. It has strait armor plates that are easy to assemble and work with. Its relatively cheap, dimensions are accurate and risks are low. For those who have a Verlinden resin static kit, it would be very easy to adapt the exterior and interior resin detail parts to the basic kit to avoid some scratch building.

I think it was the most enjoyable build of my life. I am planning to do another one eventually. A Canadian ADATS with turret and rotating radar would be impressive. Also an M163 if the barrels of a 1/16 Gatling could be made to spin, with sound... Type of stuff you do not see. Once you will have built your 12th Sherman or the N version of that Panzer, there is no choice but to try something else to maintain interest in the hobby and create challenges.
Adats
Adats
adats.JPG (56.29 KiB) Viewed 7108 times
M163
M163
Regards, Louis
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Got to agree with you there Sir................there are only so many ways to do a German Tri-colour camo on a Tiger 'X' !!!

All credit to you mate, and when you decide to challenge yourself, its us looking in who also benefit.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Incredibly beautiful work Mr. Bix. I was an assistant Platoon Sgt. of a mechanized infantry unit for 3 years, 1978-1981, and have some really fond memories of that time. My only correction to your build would be the driver. Driver's alway wore their helmet. It has the communication gear in it. The TC (Tango Charlie) track commander gave the directions.

You are correct in that troops almost never rode in the track as they were gasoline powered and burned quite fiercely when hit by B-40s or RPG rounds. Or the anti-tank mines set in roadbeds. It was how Carlos Hathcock was nearly killed. The track he was in blew up and he was severely burned. Layer or two of sandbags on the inner deck helped with fire control.

Great work -

Steve
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.

Return to “Show Off”