SOL Merkava Mk III Early Type RC'ed

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: SOL Merkava Mk III Early Type RC'ed

Post by Raminator »

That's an enviable bit of kit Michael, with an impressive amount of work to get it all functional; there are some ingenious solutions on your part. I'm amazed by both the crispness of the detail and the thickness of the resin, it looks like it'll run as good as it looks. I'd love to see it in action!
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Here is a quick video of it doing its thing. Will probably battle indoor, not likely anywhere outside.

phpBB [video]

and a comparison picture with the Chally. Slightly longer and much wider.
Attachments
DSCN2036.JPG
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Shes lovely!
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
dgsselkirk wrote:Nice job Michael, can't wait to see it in the flesh! You are going to have to put a fence around it with the way we drive! :D
If it's as solid and heavy as he says, you better watch out that he don't run your tanks over :haha:
The problem with resin is it has very low shear strength. You can make it thick and it will help but a strike on an edge and it can fracture quite easily. Course depends on the type of resin too so have to see what they are using. Never seen this kit in the flesh before...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

Gorgeous! (The tank too.. :P )

I wish Heng Long bit the bullet and would release a Merkava. That resin kit is beautiful, but my word, is it pricey.

Quality of the cast seems impeccable, though.

If the SOL IDF female tanker figures are any indication, there should be masses of fine details that photo's won't even show, on that Merkava. The moment I saw the figures, I knew I needed to have them. Having painted one of the ladies already, I'd say the details are nothing short of gob-smacking.

I ordered the figures, (rather pricey @ €72,- for the both of them) to use them to make a fake Tiran from Heng Long's T90. It's the closest I can get to IDF armour within reasonable money :(

(Yes, I know women are currently barred from active duty on tanks in the IDF, and are only allowed to be tank-instructors, but just let me indulge myself in my non-canon-rivet-counter-stroke-inducing fun-tanks :haha: )
dungen3
Recruit

Post by dungen3 »

Hello Michael
Very cool build.

I have some questions.
I am 3d printing a Merkava mk4(because it is not available, had to have it)
After 1/100 i did 1/50.... This one is 1/16....
And my intention is to make it rc, by using a sacrifice tank.
I was going to use the challenger, by now i see that this doesn't fit by your photo next to each other.
If i can't make it rc, it's ok.....(not)

What do you think should fit?

I still need to print for about two weeks more untill completion, so the is time.

Already thanks
Brgds Marc
Attachments
Mk4 16scale (8).JPG
Mk4 16scale (8).JPG (84.61 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Mk4 16scale (7).JPG
Mk4 16scale (7).JPG (80.93 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Mk4 16scale (6).JPG
Mk4 16scale (5).JPG
Mk4 16scale (3).JPG
Mk4 16scale (1).JPG
Mk4 16scale (9).JPG
Mk4 16scale (10).JPG
Mk4 16scale (7).JPG
Mk4 16scale (7).JPG (80.93 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Last edited by dungen3 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Michael probably won't be back online for a while as this is his night time over in the states. You are welcome to wait, but in the meantime, you could pop over to our introduction section to tell us a bit about yourself, and what made you take the path to our RC Tank world :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Marc, lovely 3D print you got there......... In terms of finding a RTR bottom, I still think the Chally is your best bet. Given that you don't have a lower to work with, I would suggest that you take a Chally lower and literally cut it down the middle in half and extend it width wise. I think depended on how you are doing the front and the back, you might be able to get away with some minor body work, but there is not way the chally width would be adequate.

It will be kinda like how they build stretch limos but cut length wise rather than width wise. This way you can also keep all the mechanical as well (i.e. the two gearboxes will stay with each side). I know you can get just the lower with all the mechanical from Aliexpress instead of having to shell out for a whole tank, but if you find the right deal perhaps (i.e. local supplier might have it rather than ordering from China).

Good luck !

MichaelC.
dungen3
Recruit

Post by dungen3 »

thanks
its almost done now(photos in a separate post).
once completed i will have dimensions.

Return to “Show Off”