Tamiya JS-2 completed

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
tomhugill
Captain

Tamiya JS-2 completed

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks, again I'm skipping to the end with this one. She's been upgraded with a brace to stiffen up the chassis and a hentec idler adjuster at the front which stiffens that up nicely. Painted with the ammo Russian green modulation set with the usual pin washes grime and mud. She's fully battle worthy and features a vampire hidden battle unit from rctankelectronics (aka tankbear).

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tamiya JS-2 completed

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Beautifully done, Tom. The tank has seen some obvious use without being trashed. That's a fine line to hold and not many can pull it off. Nice extras as well. One of the best out there.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Looks great Tom. Like Painless says, perfect amount of weathering in my mind.
jeman
Corporal

Post by jeman »

Fantastic ! Really luv that :clap: :clap: :clap: Weathering looks amazing Well done :D
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Very nice build mate - how much you want for it? :)
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Ad Lav wrote:Very nice build mate - how much you want for it? :)
About £800 :P
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey chaps, here's some demo videos showing the tanks functions and the hidden battle system in action. Sorry for the quality but the video camera on my phone struggles in anything approaching low light.

Battle unit

Functions
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Tom, I could go on and on about how great that tank looks, but from you I've come to expect fantastic work, and once again, you don't disappoint. :)

Are you applying two different colors of paint and then sanding away the upper layer to get the wear around the hatches? You've achieved a very realistic effect. Bravo, Tom.

I'll be really interested to hear how the hidden battle unit performs. Do you think you'll get a chance to try it out any time soon? Was it an easy install and a good match for the Tammy electronics? The guys here would probably be worried I'd have an advantage if I showed up with a system like that. There's one guy here with a Leo that can't seem to score a hit on my IBU equipped Tiger one with the Impact BU and I can see it kind of frustrates him. Hey, every other tank in the club can score hits on me, so I don't think it's me, ya know? :angel:

The videos are very cool, I hope you'll post more videos of your work in the future.

The other day I saw a model of the Millennium Falcon that actually flies. Have you seen that?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

tom, do explain ! Is this hidden battle unit business a DIY ? I didn't think the Tamiya JS-2 came with anything different than all their other offers.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Max-U52 wrote:Tom, I could go on and on about how great that tank looks, but from you I've come to expect fantastic work, and once again, you don't disappoint. :)

Are you applying two different colors of paint and then sanding away the upper layer to get the wear around the hatches? You've achieved a very realistic effect. Bravo, Tom.

I'll be really interested to hear how the hidden battle unit performs. Do you think you'll get a chance to try it out any time soon? Was it an easy install and a good match for the Tammy electronics? The guys here would probably be worried I'd have an advantage if I showed up with a system like that. There's one guy here with a Leo that can't seem to score a hit on my IBU equipped Tiger one with the Impact BU and I can see it kind of frustrates him. Hey, every other tank in the club can score hits on me, so I don't think it's me, ya know? :angel:

The videos are very cool, I hope you'll post more videos of your work in the future.

The other day I saw a model of the Millennium Falcon that actually flies. Have you seen that?
I think I can help you there, there's an issue with the leopard 2, it uses a slightly different code which means it struggles to score hits on 3rd party electronics, this was reported to Clark (not sure if it was resolved) but the IBU has the same issue.

Regarding taking hits, if anything the hidden unit puts you at a slight disadvantage compared to the TBU, as you don't get slope and 45 degree defence.

The paint is done with the hairspray technique, the tank is painted with a base coat of gunship grey which is left a couple of days to fully cure. The Hairspray is oversprayed and let dry. Finally your top coat is sprayed over and let dry for a little while (but not fully cure). Next your spray water over the areas you want to chip and use a brush to chip the paint off, the water dissolves the hairspray in a random fashion allowing realistic chips.

Is that the quad that Disney released? Looks pretty awesome :D

Return to “Show Off”