Torro Pro-Edition Henschel King Tiger

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Saxondog
Captain

Torro Pro-Edition Henschel King Tiger

Post by Saxondog »

Hi All, It has been a while since I posted any of my Tanks or even posted in my build threads. I have been more active in this hobby in the last 6-months than any other time yet I have been rather silent about my activity.

I apologize for setting that bad example as I do believe everyone has something to contribute by posting their work.

So with that in mind I have decided to Post the Torro Pro-Edition Henschel King Tiger I/R Version and detail what I intend to modify and in some cases correct. Here in show-off I will just post the tank as delivered.

This is my Birthday gift and how it came to me from Germany to the US must be understood as a very special circumstance,Torro does not list the cost of international delivery.And I cannot say what that cost would be.

This post is for everyone to see this product and to gauge what is considered the Premiere tank from Torro.
I will post some better pics guys as these seem to be out of focus a bit.
Torro Pro-Edition KT Wooden Crate
Torro Pro-Edition KT Wooden Crate
Torro Crate stenciling
Torro Crate stenciling
Torro Basic King Tiger Manual
Torro Basic King Tiger Manual
Well Packaged with Styrofoam Inserts
Well Packaged with Styrofoam Inserts
Top section removed first look at the King Tiger
Top section removed first look at the King Tiger
accessories are metal with a nice set of Tow cables and the MG including mounting bar are made from Metal
accessories are metal with a nice set of Tow cables and the MG including mounting bar are made from Metal
The Henschel freed from the foam
The Henschel freed from the foam
Nice rear deck detail
Nice rear deck detail
Overhead view of open hatches
Overhead view of open hatches
Rear View,the on/off switch is located under the Jack block,the crank jack is metal
Rear View,the on/off switch is located under the Jack block,the crank jack is metal
Equipment detail is nice and all separate pieces no parts are molded to the hull
Equipment detail is nice and all separate pieces no parts are molded to the hull
Close view of the equipment attachment
Close view of the equipment attachment
Equipment detail
Equipment detail
commanders side view
commanders side view
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Torro Pro-Edition Henschel King Tiger

Post by Saxondog »

Yea I noticed that at once because my Porsche has the nice details and the proper vents.

These also are not correct even for a Porsche,they do not extend under the Turret as they should.

Here is REAPERS (Ken's) Porsche which has the correct vents and covers extending under the turret.

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =21&t=9533
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

A few more pictures of the Torro Pro-Edition Henschel King Tiger-
Satandard Metal Gearbox
Satandard Metal Gearbox
Fan Cooled RX-18
Fan Cooled RX-18
Lower Hull Component Lay-Out
Lower Hull Component Lay-Out
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Still as yet undecided, but I know it will be something unique and the best I can produce with my limited skills. More on this offering to come.

cheers
jukebox
Lance Corporal

Post by jukebox »

Eastern Front wrote:Hi Sax,

Nice post...

I have not seen a Production KT with those types of metal grates on the forward vent areas, only on the Porsche.. Will you be removing those too?

Cheers!
Hey guys,

The production King Tigers did have the debris screens over the forward grilles, so don't go chopping them off just yet! :)
King Tiger Grilles 02.jpg
King Tiger Grilles 02.jpg (78.48 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
King Tiger Grilles 04.jpg
King Tiger Grilles 04.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
Steve
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Personally I prefer the full screens,and my build post of this tank may well have the armor shields as I have never done this modification. But thanks for sharing the information.

On this post I want to show what Torro delivers as their TOP OF THE LINE Professional offering,and if their is a view or section I have not shown very well please guys let me know? My camera is a great camera,but my ability to use it and actually take an in focus picture seems to be the main problem for me.

I have some comments to add about the tank,about problems and about the condition it arrived in after a very long Journey. And will get to that mid week as my focus is on the 1/6 scale tanks in my humble shop.Winter is upon us here in Tennessee,today was 80 deg.,then at 3pm the thunder storms rolled in from the west and temps dropped quickly.So I am trying to complete some work to bring the bike back inside the shop as well(painting) and once that is completed will get the tank back out and post some of the details of the condition.

Their is one comment though to make,this is a heavy,heavy tank straight from the box,and the only tank my Tiger S13 has not been able to pull in a tug of war style situation,the Tiger is 20lbs. But this brute just sat their and they tugged each other back and forth a few cm,and that was it. The down side,run time with the provided battery is barely 15minutes. Solution is a 5000mha battery soon to arrive.

Once that is installed the testing will continue,the provided battery is a fine battery,just a bit underpowered.

Jukebox would you mind listing the book? I don't seem to have that photo in either of my King Tiger hard cover books or the e-books?

cheers.Saxondog
jukebox
Lance Corporal

Post by jukebox »

Eastern Front wrote:
jukebox wrote:
Eastern Front wrote:Hi Sax,

Nice post...

I have not seen a Production KT with those types of metal grates on the forward vent areas, only on the Porsche.. Will you be removing those too?

Cheers!
Hey guys,

The production King Tigers did have the debris screens over the forward grilles, so don't go chopping them off just yet! :)
The attachment King Tiger Grilles 02.jpg is no longer available
The attachment King Tiger Grilles 04.jpg is no longer available

JukeBox,

I have seen those too, but it was my understanding that the production tanks didn't have those, only the tanks that were built to meet the requirements for testing and contract award (early Tiger II) .. The actual production tanks were sent to the field with the same screens on the front that are on the back in your photo.. Still, I have seen a few Tiger II's, and none had those on the front.. Still, cool pictures...

Cheers!
Hi Eastern Front & Sax,

Rivet counter alert!! B| The book I am using as a reference is (deep breath, long title this one!) "Germany's Tiger Tanks VK45.02 to Tiger II: Design, Production & Modifications" by Thomas L. Jentz & Hilary L. Doyle, published by Schiffer Publishing Ltd, ISBN 0-7643-0224-8, stuffed full of drawings, photos and information, if you're into Tigers you need this book and it's two companions, D.W. to Tiger I and Tiger I & II: Combat Tactics. Anyhow, the first book shows production Tiger IIs in June 1944, September 1944 and January 1945 with the debris screens so I would say they left the factory with the screens, and the ones you've seen without them have lost them during combat or the maintenance crews couldn't be bothered to put them back on? The Tiger II at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds is shown with the forward screen on the left but it's missing on the right! However, as with anything to do with our hobby, there is no right or wrong, just what works for you! :thumbup:
King Tiger Grilles 05.jpg
King Tiger Grilles 05.jpg (54.2 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
I'm looking forward to seeing how this build goes, I'm still working on my Torro King Tiger but it's going very slowly with work getting in the way so be good to see another one progressing!
Steve
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

No Just like a Quality Bit of Armor around you. I have nothing but German Armor, Although my fleet is diverse yet no Russian Ships?

American,British,German,Japanese,Italian

Although I would very much like a Centurion an a T34 but a Sherman not so much. Hellcat maybe as they were fast. But the TIGER JAGDPANTHER remain the favorite fighting vehicles of all time.

As for the post no battery yet but once it arrives I will post a videos of this monster driving.
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

This one by Trojca might be of interest. Not a book but 1/16 scale drawings of King Tiger. Production, porsche and command version. Detail open out drawings of each from all angles.

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/trojca-18-sdkf ... -7374.html
MAUS45
Recruit

Post by MAUS45 »

Hi Eastern Front & Sax,

Rivet counter alert!! B| The book I am using as a reference is (deep breath, long title this one!) "Germany's Tiger Tanks VK45.02 to Tiger II: Design, Production & Modifications" by Thomas L. Jentz & Hilary L. Doyle, published by Schiffer Publishing Ltd, ISBN 0-7643-0224-8, stuffed full of drawings, photos and information, if you're into Tigers you need this book and it's two companions, D.W. to Tiger I and Tiger I & II: Combat Tactics. Anyhow, the first book shows production Tiger IIs in June 1944, September 1944 and January 1945 with the debris screens so I would say they left the factory with the screens, and the ones you've seen without them have lost them during combat or the maintenance crews couldn't be bothered to put them back on? The Tiger II at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds is shown with the forward screen on the left but it's missing on the right! However, as with anything to do with our hobby, there is no right or wrong, just what works for you! :thumbup:

The Tiger II from Aberdeen/Ft. Knox actually had the forward screen on on both sides. Here is a photo of the engine deck from the other side and above. The lower or 2nd photo from your reference book is from maybe the '80's or before '91 when it was moved from Aberdeen Proving Grounds to Ft. Knox. Where as the upper or first photo is from when the Tiger II arrived at Aberdeen Proving Grounds sometime in February 1945. The photo I attached is of the Tiger II while it was still in Spa before it left for the U.S. So if you do Tiger II 332 leave both forward screens on. Not being picky just had more info on this specific tank. I am torn between doing 332 or one of the 505th Charging Knight Tiger II's. I have a Tamiya F/O kit I have been working on off and on that need markings?
Attachments
Aberdeen TigerII  332 .jpg
Aberdeen TigerII 332 .jpg (43.05 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
Last edited by MAUS45 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Show Off”