Italeri 1/35 Crusader III with MTM gearbox-metal tracks

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Italeri 1/35 Crusader III with MTM gearbox-metal tracks

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I couldn’t figure out what ITL meant, and not being so familiar with 1/35, I thought ITL might be an aftermarket brand. But when I read 90 ITL, I figured it out. Madness, one link at a time. :crazy:
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I couldn’t figure out what ITL meant, and not being so familiar with 1/35, I thought ITL might be an aftermarket brand. But when I read 90 ITL, I figured it out. Madness, one link at a time. :crazy:
Good morning Herr Doctor
Oh forgot to mention what ITL means. ITL "Individual track links "come in two types, plastic, metal. The latter is much easier to work with IMO. I built a plastic ITL track for a Panzer III, IV and found out that there are several types for these Tanks and of course I had the wrong one for my model so the one I built did not work for my model but the experience was not a total waist of time, I did learn that plastic ITL is "maddening :crazy: " to build. So I tried a friulmodel metal ITL kit for a Chieftain and they were actually not that bad with respect to plastic ITL.
Attachments
These plastic ITL tracks are 5 times harder to work with and are a bit flimsy and no where can I find where someone is using them on a model that runs under its own power. I had one on a Crusader which kinda fit but after a short while started to slip on the drive sprocket. Also there is a lot of "streach of the track" under load so not sure plastic ITL works very well on RRC model.
These plastic ITL tracks are 5 times harder to work with and are a bit flimsy and no where can I find where someone is using them on a model that runs under its own power. I had one on a Crusader which kinda fit but after a short while started to slip on the drive sprocket. Also there is a lot of "streach of the track" under load so not sure plastic ITL works very well on RRC model.
This is my 2nd Friulmodel metal track kit.
This is my 2nd Friulmodel metal track kit.
IMG_8869 (1).JPG (92.9 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Finally got some time to hang this track today :D

I am using this tank to size the tracks for the Desert MTM version build. This will give me the centerline of the drive sprocket axle location.
Attachments
maximum "track sag" at the other side of the track adjustment. the optimal setting will be revealed on the work bench "proving ground" track.
maximum "track sag" at the other side of the track adjustment. the optimal setting will be revealed on the work bench "proving ground" track.
IMG_8909.jpg (77.06 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
gearbox mounting screw (tension) moved all the way back equals proper track tension set. I say proper because there is adjustment the other way to set more <br /><br />&quot;quote from Herr doctor, &quot;track sag&quot;
gearbox mounting screw (tension) moved all the way back equals proper track tension set. I say proper because there is adjustment the other way to set more

"quote from Herr doctor, "track sag"
track tension is set right in the middle and now ready for final track adjustment. The gearbox adjustment screw makes hanging the track go much smoother.
track tension is set right in the middle and now ready for final track adjustment. The gearbox adjustment screw makes hanging the track go much smoother.
IMG_8906.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
last track pin installed and now the track is ready to hang on the Crusader
last track pin installed and now the track is ready to hang on the Crusader
ready for the last track pin
ready for the last track pin
120 Individual tracks links (ITL) USED for each side of the Crusader. The bottom 15 ITL links are spares so 135 ITL pieces available for each side. Every link went together with no issues in assembly and very little flash trimming required. These ere easy to build IMO.
120 Individual tracks links (ITL) USED for each side of the Crusader. The bottom 15 ITL links are spares so 135 ITL pieces available for each side. Every link went together with no issues in assembly and very little flash trimming required. These ere easy to build IMO.
Last edited by modler on Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I have some bench testing of the Friulmodel metal track on the Italeri Crusader and the result is very good!

here are a few short videos of my progress

Bench run @ WOT showing track stability
https://youtu.be/DhBJTGYEoFY

bench run with 1 track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enGqixqDz4g

I am working on the right side track and hope to have it completed today.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I got both tracks on the tank and have test driven the Crusader and it is a special day for me being able to drive this tank on my work bench track as a metal track tank :D and
44 years ago,(1978), I built my first Radio Remote Controlled tank using the Italeri Crusader III with very crude toy grade radio equipment and now, I have built what I think is the star of my collection of 1/35 scale tanks with this new build. The metal tracks make it very special on any 1/35 scale model tank IMO. Since I built this one with the Tamiya all metal gearbox, it is a keeper and I will treasure it in my collection and now the next phase is to build a Tan Desert version with MTM gearboxes and metal tracks.

Anyway here is a short video with the body on this dark green Crusader III. It is difficult to drive and do the video. The Tank is super smooth and the video does not do the tank justice.

https://youtu.be/4qA5UdMXFjg
Attachments
250 mah li-poly is plenty and if keeping the speed low can go 25 minutes or more.
250 mah li-poly is plenty and if keeping the speed low can go 25 minutes or more.
Beautiful tank me thinks. The large road wheels look very good. I will not be running the track skirts on this one at this time.
Beautiful tank me thinks. The large road wheels look very good. I will not be running the track skirts on this one at this time.
Turret installed
Turret installed
IMG_8918.jpg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
Thats right, Elevator and Aileron used for track drive with 4 mixes allows 1 handed driving so I can video as well lol
Thats right, Elevator and Aileron used for track drive with 4 mixes allows 1 handed driving so I can video as well lol
Upper Hull installed.
Upper Hull installed.
6 channel radio leaves room for future upgrades.
6 channel radio leaves room for future upgrades.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I can hear your excitement from Lakewood, all the way across eastern Indiana, around the southern tip of Lake Michigan on jammed-up I-94, by-passing Chicago on I-294, and another 90 miles out here in the sticks. It is fine to see you work so well with 1/35 and the MTM goodies.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I can hear your excitement from Lakewood, all the way across eastern Indiana, around the southern tip of Lake Michigan on jammed-up I-94, by-passing Chicago on I-294, and another 90 miles out here in the sticks. It is fine to see you work so well with 1/35 and the MTM goodies.
Yes Herr Doctor, The metal track aspect of the last two builds (Chieftain,Crusader), has increased the fun of running the models as it adds realism and even more visual pleasure in watching them run. I had a model Tank in the late 70's with metal tracks and I had forgotten how cool that was. With respect to 1/35 scale, it is beyond cool 8)

Next I will do a Desert Crusader with MTM gearboxes and metal tracks. I choose the Crusader because it has narrow tracks and even as metal, they are reasonable in weight and the MTM GB with my axle build procedure, should have no problem driving those tracks. The Chieftain on the other hand, has large heavy tracks that may be too much for the MTM GB.
Attachments
Interesting book that has lots of historical pictures and history. Just picked it up yesterday at the book store.
Interesting book that has lots of historical pictures and history. Just picked it up yesterday at the book store.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I am in the process of changing residence and have had to put my Tanks into storage until I find a new residence.
I will continue this and other projects asap. Just thought I would leave an update as to why the absence from this site as of late.

regards
modler
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I am still here. My Condo is up for sale and have had to move my Tanks and equipment to a Garage I own thats 25 miles away from my home so I do not have direct access to most of my models. I still have access to a few of my best ;)

The topic of this thread is still doing well and is my favorite 1/35 scale model converted to RRC. This Crusader is 1 of 2 tanks I have with metal tracks 8)

New Video of Crusader with its precise FWD\REV tracking and 5 mix control...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5cI8tiddw

I am thinking this may be the only 1/35 Italeri RRC Tank with metal tracks in the known Universe :think:

You could buy a decent 1/16 RRC Tank for the cost of this Crusader build I'm sure. Estimated cost to build one like the one in this thread = $$$

Care to give a build estimate including parts, model, labor? :crazy:
Attachments
Very efficient setup allows long run times from this tiny 1s li-poly.
Very efficient setup allows long run times from this tiny 1s li-poly.
IMG_9313 (1).JPG (85.27 KiB) Viewed 769 times
These are some of my best 1/35 scale RRC models
These are some of my best 1/35 scale RRC models
IMG_9312.JPG (127.44 KiB) Viewed 769 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I am back after a long absence due to moving. The CRUSADER MK III of this thread is my best 1/35 scale RRC model and I think it may be the only one of its kind. I plan to update it in the near future ;)

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”