NOS Italeri Crusader III with TAMIYA GEARBOX + Video

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Corporal

NOS Italeri Crusader III with TAMIYA GEARBOX + Video

Post by modler »

Latest bench track video of the Crusader

Work bench track run
https://youtu.be/qqvVbkViJzE

another without the body
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejUtRRqQB68

I had to switch gears on this build from here viewtopic.php?f=33&t=33341

I rushed the assembly of the MTM gearbox and that resulted in axle failure so now I need more parts to fix that problem but in the meantime, I have decided to fit a Tamiya gearbox in this Crusader to get it moving 8) This may be a better option for the Crusader as it needs the ability to have an adjustable track tension type gearbox in order for it to work as a radio control tank. I have noticed a lot of these older 1/35 models have Tracks that are too tight due to polymer track shrinking slightly due to age is my guess. I just could not resolve this issue using the MTM gearbox on this particular model due to the design of the hull where the drive axles exit.

So anyway I will continue with the Crusader build here. When I get repair parts for the MTM gearbox, I will continue at the original thread above

I just happen to have a brand new Tamiya gearbox from a rare NOS British Chieftain Mk.5. I will borrow that gearbox for this project for now as I want it to run NOW ;) I will not be trimming the axles of this gearbox and they will stick out a little beyond the Sprockets but that does not bother me.
Attachments
Tamiya gearbox came from this rare Chieftain Mk.5 motorized remote control model Tank.
Tamiya gearbox came from this rare Chieftain Mk.5 motorized remote control model Tank.
getting the rear hull plate installed can be a challenge when upgrading to motorized.
getting the rear hull plate installed can be a challenge when upgrading to motorized.
IMG_8343.jpg (53.02 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Now it has Track tension available. It is moved as far forward (less tension) as possible.
Now it has Track tension available. It is moved as far forward (less tension) as possible.
IMG_8344.JPG (59.3 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Was not too hard to get this to work with no outward modifications visible
Was not too hard to get this to work with no outward modifications visible
IMG_8341.jpg (66.62 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Last edited by modler on Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
modler
Corporal

Re: NOS Italeri Crusader III with TAMIYA GEARBOX

Post by modler »

I have successfully added a Tamiya gearbox to this Crusader and now I am going to add plastic Individual Track Link (ITL) tracks. The stock tracks are proving to be a little delicate and I have broken the right track twice just from the torque of turning in place (0 turning). So far I have one ITL track installed.

I have decided to build two of these Crusaders. One will have a Tamiya gearbox and the other MTM gearboxes.

Here is a short Crusader video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejUtRRqQB68
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I got more work done on the Crusader with the metal gearbox. The ITL tracks that I was using which are for a early production Panzer III with narrow tracks, are not working out on the Crusader so I went back to the poly tracks and both broke repeatedly and I realized that I had got an NOS model with aged tracks. I ordered another on ebay for $25 shipped. This one is newer and is Tan in color which I prefer over Olive drab. Anyway, it also has dark colored tracks vs the silver ones from the NOS model and these seems much stronger so I mounted them on the NOS model and tried again. Success! and a good thing as I can not find after market tracks for the Crusader.

The next hurdle was to secure the upper hull to the lower hull so that is is removable. Figured that out and now I am ready for final assembly. You can build this two ways as far as the shirts are concerned and I decided to go with the desert skirts like used in the Africa corps units.

video. Track Skirt is on one side in this video. Some more detail work needs done yet. Upper body is secure to hull with 2 micro screws in the rear body side. Front is secured with factory body stay mounts.

Crusader MK III Video
Attachments
The Crusader MK III is a medium tank and looks a bit outdated next to the Centurion Mk III
The Crusader MK III is a medium tank and looks a bit outdated next to the Centurion Mk III
IMG_8668.JPG (79.55 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Some of my best RRC WW II models
Some of my best RRC WW II models
Installed one skirt to see if it works without problems and it works great so the other one goes on asap
Installed one skirt to see if it works without problems and it works great so the other one goes on asap
This is the only running RRC WWII British Tank in my collection. The dark grey poly tracks are from Italeri model #2 and work excellent. These are from a recent production run of this model as the (dark grey tracks) feel stronger compared to the NOS (silver tracks ) model #1
This is the only running RRC WWII British Tank in my collection. The dark grey poly tracks are from Italeri model #2 and work excellent. These are from a recent production run of this model as the (dark grey tracks) feel stronger compared to the NOS (silver tracks ) model #1
IMG_8663.jpg (76.14 KiB) Viewed 673 times
This is a super cool model. Had to buy two to get some good tracks. I would like to try the Tamiya version next.
This is a super cool model. Had to buy two to get some good tracks. I would like to try the Tamiya version next.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Well, I thought I had this Tank build done as far as running gear and radio installation are concerned but then the other day I went to run my lovely Crusader when disaster struck! :O Both tracks popped at the same time while climbing a hill :(

Sad to say but the poly tracks that come with this kit are not suitable for radio control conversion. I started looking in earnest for a set of tracks for the Crusader and the only thing I can find is Friulmodel metal tracks and I decided to "give it a go" with these tracks on this model which already has a HD gearbox so it should work me thinks.

So this build has evolved into a "metal track build" as I have ordered the tracks direct from Friulmodel here

https://friulmodel.hu/termekkategoria/m ... acks-1-35/
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I admire your dedication to these often forgotten small scale RC models. Following along :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

c.rainford73 wrote:I admire your dedication to these often forgotten small scale RC models. Following along :thumbup:
Yes I do like the 1/35 scale models as there is a great variety of models to work with :D

I was reviewing this thread and realized that I did not post a video of the Crusader running with a metal gearbox so here it is :)

Unfortunately, both sets of factory poly tracks have popped under load and now I have no working tracks! Because of the flimsy poly tracks, I can not recommend this Italeri model. However, there are Friulmodel metal tracks available.

UPDATE AUG 11
I ordered some METAL TRACKS from Friulmodel 07/29/2022 and they have arrived 8-8-22 so they shipping time was not that long anyway I will pick them up today from the post office and will get this Tank back in action :D

Friulmodel Hungary
They have a lot of tracks !!!
Last edited by modler on Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

modler wrote:Well, I thought I had this Tank build done as far as running gear and radio installation are concerned but then the other day I went to run my lovely Crusader when disaster struck! :O Both tracks popped at the same time while climbing a hill :(

Sad to say but the poly tracks that come with this kit are not suitable for radio control conversion. I started looking in earnest for a set of tracks for the Crusader and the only thing I can find is Friulmodel metal tracks and I decided to "give it a go" with these tracks on this model which already has a HD gearbox so it should work me thinks.

So this build has evolved into a "metal track build" as I have ordered the tracks direct from Friulmodel here

I am picking them up today 8). This Tank will get Friulmodel metal tracks.

I finish this build here
viewtopic.php?p=331868#p331868
Attachments
I have starting building these tracks. I will be building two sets as I have two Crusader projects going.
I have starting building these tracks. I will be building two sets as I have two Crusader projects going.
IMG_8869 (1).JPG (92.9 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”