Italeri 1/35 Crusader III with MTM gearbox-metal tracks

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: NOS Italeri 1/35 Crusader III with MTM gearbox video+2

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Oooh! I tawt I taw a haftrack! I DID! I DID see a haftrack!
index.jpg
index.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Oooh! I tawt I taw a haftrack! I DID! I DID see a haftrack!
index.jpg
Yes Herr Dr, you did 8) That M4 Half track chassis is from a model I built in 1983. I still have it of course :/ and actually the chassis was removed in 1983 and has been sitting around since then, I have always wanted to build the chassis into a working model but have never found the appropriate gearbox until now. The MTM fits right in there.

here is a short video of the rebuilt gearbox with a Halftrack sprocket installed. https://youtu.be/kBy7XCbifjY

So now looks like we are doing a half track 8)

Here is a video of 1 track running. https://youtu.be/ufJjediYq38
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have a 1/16 Famo to tackle next, and I am puzzled about how to coordinate steering front wheels with tracks. I will be interested to see how you do it, even if with completely different electronics.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I have a 1/16 Famo to tackle next, and I am puzzled about how to coordinate steering front wheels with tracks. I will be interested to see how you do it, even if with completely different electronics.
Ideally, you would have 2 motors\gearboxes for the tracks just like a tank and with steering wheels in the front. Then you program a mix in the TX to slow the track on the same side as the direction of the turn for tightest turn. I have a 1/18 Hanomag half track that has the right track motor configuration to allow this mix and it needs a radio upgrade so I will do a thread on that soon.

meanwhile, I have decided to make both tracks work on this HT frame using the MTM gearbox. This little venture has given me some experience with the MTM gearbox and I am starting to like it and have some plans for future models.

Here is a video of the finished MTM installation on the 1/35 scale half track frame. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1d_Wy4AniIY
Attachments
I have a lot of time in this MTM gearbox testing but now see the potential in using them in these small models.
I have a lot of time in this MTM gearbox testing but now see the potential in using them in these small models.
Both sprockets installed and they are press fit push on\off and are removable. That took a lot of extra time to make them removable.
Both sprockets installed and they are press fit push on\off and are removable. That took a lot of extra time to make them removable.
finally got the axles the way I want them
finally got the axles the way I want them
the right side is missing some parts and is tore up but I am going to patch it up and get it going so I can have a test bed for this single MTM gearbox configuration.
the right side is missing some parts and is tore up but I am going to patch it up and get it going so I can have a test bed for this single MTM gearbox configuration.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

The MTM gearbox works so well in this model that I have decided to "MAKE IT MOVE" under its own power with radio remote control.

The steering box is not scale but good enough for this old beat-up chassis. I want to drive it around to test the durability of the gearbox with these tracks. It is recommended that plastic ITL tracks be used and should be "loose" but I have jacked this box up to be able to handle a bigger load.
Attachments
IMG_8396.jpg
IMG_8395.jpg
added a steering box so this will be drivable soon Not scale steering but good enough for testing purposes.
added a steering box so this will be drivable soon Not scale steering but good enough for testing purposes.
Halftrack city
Halftrack city
Last edited by modler on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

This project is still going. I have ordered a new Crusader as I got new gearboxes from MTM and I am going to install them in a new Crusader model. If anyone reading this knows where to get the right aftermarket Tracks for the Crusader, please let me know.

The one in this thread runs good with the Tamiya gearbox from a Chieftain but I had to mod the chassis for that to fit properly so I ordered another Crusader for the MTM conversion. I want to install the MTM gearbox in a fresh chassis with no mods.
Attachments
Another Crusader on the way
Another Crusader on the way
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

modler wrote:This project is still going. I have ordered a new Crusader as I got new gearboxes from MTM and I am going to install them in a new Crusader model. If anyone reading this knows where to get the right aftermarket Tracks for the Crusader, please let me know.

The one in this thread runs good with the Tamiya gearbox from a Chieftain but I had to mod the chassis for that to fit properly so I ordered another Crusader for the MTM conversion. I want to install the MTM gearbox in a fresh chassis with no mods.
I got the new Crusader and it is Desert Tan which I like better. The plastic ITL tracks I was using have not worked out and I am still looking for plastic ITL tracks for the Crusader.

This thread did turn into a M4 Halftrack build using a single MTM gearbox and is a success. I gained experience with the M4 build and the Crusader which ultimately will result in a successful twin gearbox Tank build :D

Meanwhile, I have focused my attention to a different tank as far as MTM gearboxes are concerned here.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=33496
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

I made some changes to the MTM gearbox assembly which results in
1. much stronger axle assembly
2. the gearbox covers are now removable thanks to a tie strap mod
3. the gearbox is easy to R and R because a 1 screw mount for gearbox.

So now I want to try METAL TRACKS @)

There is a good chance this will work and if not, no biggy as the axle is the part that would fail and there is enough spare axle in the kit to replace if necessary.

So this thread is not done yet 8)
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

Looks like the post office in Lakewood lost my parcel from Hungary :/ :(
Last edited by modler on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Post by modler »

modler wrote:Looks like the post office in Lakewood lost my parcel from Hungary
Ok I went and riled them up at the post office and I got results ;) The package was delivered just before 7 pm so its all good now :D

This Crusader build is now with metal tracks!
Attachments
I will be installing the MTM gearboxes in this fresh Crusader III
I will be installing the MTM gearboxes in this fresh Crusader III
90 ITL's. thats about as far as  am going to get today. The darker color track is a piece of the original poly track
90 ITL's. thats about as far as am going to get today. The darker color track is a piece of the original poly track
oh look, 20 ITL's together. These go together real well.
oh look, 20 ITL's together. These go together real well.
looks like a nice kit
looks like a nice kit
I am so excited to finally get these beauties!
I am so excited to finally get these beauties!
IMG_8869.JPG (92.9 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”